< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Jun 3, 21
Aug 31, 21
DIRECTOR of LEARNING - JULY 2022
International School of Beijing is an extraordinary, non-profit school, with a history of excellence spanning 40 years. Our Mission, Vision, and Core Values are fulfilled by passionate, highly qualified educators who all want the best for every student, Early Years through grade 12.
Of utmost importance is the school's strong sense of community and vibrant, culturally diverse campus, where learning is engaging for our roughly 1,700 students representing around 50 countries. Research-based programs, high-quality teaching, and outstanding and ever-improving facilities mean students at ISB are being prepared for success in a world that keeps changing at a breathtaking pace.
ISB enjoys a proven track record of excellent learning outcomes, with students attending colleges around the world which are most appropriate for them. Our commitment to realizing students' potential is built around nurturing the intellectual, physical, social and emotional development of each child. ISB programs equip students to be productive, healthy, and fulfilled young adults, whatever future they choose.
We care about students' growth as learners and as individuals who contribute to their community. We believe that young people are naturally curious, and we recognize each student as a unique individual with the potential to achieve. Our students are empowered to solve problems, question the world around them, and develop and test hypotheses in a collaborative, supportive environment.
ISB’s Whole Child approach gives the same priority to our young learners’ health and character as it does to their academic performance. Our students’ well-being is a cornerstone to their success and happiness. As they learn to work together, they grow to understand different perspectives and strengthen their social skills. We nurture children who develop independence and the ability to make positive, healthy choices. Importantly, we partner with parents to ensure that school is fun, motivating, and a place where every child can turn to a trusted adult for help and support.
ABOUT OUR FACILTIES
ISB is conveniently located among one of Beijing's most popular expat neighborhoods in the city's northeast Shunyi District. Parks, international medical clinics, and supermarkets stocked with imported groceries are all just a short stroll away. While the local area has developed considerably since ISB established its campus in Shunyi more than a decade ago, it still retains its quaint charm that makes it a great place to live for singles, couples, and families.
ISB has state of the art, sustainable, award winning facilities. Our 32-acre campus, close to popular expat residential compounds, plays host to superior facilities:
- 2 purpose-built sports domes providing over 8,500 m2 of space
- A pharmaceutical-grade (H-14) air filtration system ensures exceptionally high air quality in all our indoor areas, averaging an AQI level of 1 throughout the school
- 665-seat sports stadium, including running track and rugby pitch
- 12 state-of-the-art science labs
- 4 fully equipped gyms (one with a climbing wall)
- Flexible learning spaces, including design labs and 'collaboratories.'
- 2 library-media centers with more than 82,000 volumes and over 160 magazine subscriptions
- Our performing arts wing consists of a 600-seat theater, an elementary school theater Black Box theater, rehearsal spaces, recording studio, dance studios, and studio stage
WORKING AT ISB
ISB is a progressive, dynamic workplace where students come first and where teachers and support staff are highly valued for the gifts and talents they bring to these young learners. The school offers many opportunities for professional growth, both on campus and with access to workshops and conferences across the globe.
Faculty and support staff (totaling more than 360) represent numerous nationalities, including many from Australia, Canada, China, France, India, the Philippines, the U.K., and the U.S.
At ISB, you will be part of a great team of professionals providing a learning culture which enhances the students’ academic abilities through serving their social-emotional needs and physical health. We have an unwavering commitment to safeguarding children, providing a safe place to learn and play, surrounded by a team of adults who want only the best for each child. Working at ISB is rewarding (in both a professional and financial sense) and because we are all working towards a common goal – to make ISB the best international school in the world.
Beijing is undergoing an economic, cultural, and artistic renaissance. Only by living in arguably the world’s most important city and serving in this remarkable school will you fully understand and appreciate the gifts that Beijing and China can give.
The principles of trust, empathy, and professionalism allow everyone to thrive in their own way at ISB.
JOIN OUR TEAM
Job Goals/Purpose: The Director of Learning is responsible for EY-12 implementation of the International School of Beijing’s (ISB) curriculum, overseas professional development to improve teaching and learning practices, and drives successful student outcomes in line with the school’s mission, vision, and strategic plan.
The Director of Learning works collaboratively with the divisional administration, the divisional Curriculum & Professional Learning Coordinators, and the Technology Office. Reporting to the Head of School, s/he has oversight of the Office of Learning, and a team of professionals to ensure a consistent vision in all aspects of learning and teaching. The Director of Learning ensures that all programs and practices of faculty and staff support the school’s Mission and Vision; students are provided, on a day-to-day basis, with an excellent educational program; the school is safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all students irrespective of race, ability, religion, gender or culture.
- Master's Degree in Education and/or Administration with a strong technology component.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, preferably in a high-performing school or district.
- High level of experience and current knowledge of curriculum design and implementation.
- Thorough knowledge of, and experience with, standards-based curriculum, benchmark assessment, and data analysis for school improvement.
- Experience with curriculum mapping, curriculum framework development, best practices of curriculum implementation, and differentiated instruction.
- Experience and current knowledge of staff development programs and implementation.
- Experience in leading groups and implementing curricular initiatives within a professional learning community.
- Strong ICT skills, with evidence of technology infusion in classroom practices.
- Experience managing a large budget which focuses technology expenditure on student learning.
- Outstanding vision for effective and appropriate use of technology to enhance student learning in schools.
- Superior facilitation and organizational ability, with demonstrated ability to lead teacher groups.
- Past record of utilizing data to improve student outcomes.
- Experience with using education research to improve teaching and learning strategies.
- The capacity to organize and deliver effective training and presentations to diverse audiences.
- Resourceful and can-do attitude.
- Good sense of humor and love of working with people.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Learning will be responsible for the following areas under the specific direction of the Head of School.
- Lead effective implementation and continuous evaluation and improvement of ISB’s curriculum.
- Oversee and the Director of Curriculum & Professional Learning to facilitate and ensure consistent school wide implementation of the curriculum.
- Through the Curriculum & Professional Learning Coordinators, assist and support teachers to implement curriculum effectively and consistently.
- Work with the Experiential Learning Coordinator, and other Office of Learning staff to support all-school initiatives and special projects.
- Communicate requirements and progress of the curriculum development process to the ISB faculty and administration.
- Ensure the provision of schoolwide, curriculum-focused staff development that provides for superior performance in delivery of ISB’s curriculum.
- Work with the divisional administration and Director of Student Support Services to oversee the standardized testing and assessment data management and analysis of the entire school.
- Lead and coordinate the implementation of a shared vision for the comprehensive, effective and innovative infusion of technology in learning and teaching.
- Plan with, advise, assist, and support teachers and administrators in infusing technology to provide meaningful, relevant and engaging learning experiences for all students, aligned with the ISB curriculum framework, differentiated instruction, and ISB’s Assessment Principles via coaching, mentoring, modeling and co-teaching.
- Collaborate with Ed Tech facilitators, teachers, principals and the ICT Office to collect, record and report data on the use of ICT throughout the schools’ instructional programs and operations.
- Develop and coordinate ongoing professional development programs to support the integration of ICT and infusion of technology into learning and teaching practices, in collaboration with divisional administrators, the Office of Learning, and the ICT Office.
- Contribute to ISB publications, website and other forms of internal and external communications.
- Gather and report data on curriculum implementation.
- Support curriculum development and assessment that drives strong student outcomes for all learners.
- Use data to improve student learning.
- Perform any other associated duties as assigned.
Candidates should submit the following to ISB Human Resources Director, Jenny Whitaker, at email@example.com :
- Brief letter of application stating reason for interest in the position.
- A current CV/ resume not to exceed two pages.
- One page statement of philosophy of education and educational leadership.
- List of four referees, including one from a current supervisor.
August 31, 2021 is the deadline for applications. Candidates should note that in the event an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, ISB reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline. For this reason, it is very important that interested candidates apply as soon as possible.
Candidates wishing to learn more about ISB may visit https://www.isb.bj.edu.cn/ .