< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Jan 18, 2024
Feb 29, 2024
The German European School Singapore (GESS) is a multi-lingual, not-for-profit, German international school in Singapore with a distinct European flavour. As an accredited ‘Excellent German School Abroad’, the German Section of GESS offers all major German school leaving certificates.
Our European Section offers tuition in English for students from grade 1 - 12 across all three IB programmes (the PYP, the MYP and the IB Diploma Programme) as an authorised IB World School.
Children aged 2 years onwards can enroll in our Preschool where children are following the PYP programme in German-speaking, English-speaking or bilingual groups. In addition to an outstanding academic education, GESS strives to teach students community values such as respect, openness and diversity.
The purpose of the Director of Middle School, European Section is to provide leadership through a clearly articulated vision for continuous improvement of teaching and learning. They are responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the European Section Middle School and achieving and maintaining high-quality education and standards of learning for all students is the central goal. The Director of Middle School, European Section safeguards community involvement, engagement and well-being of students, parents, and teachers.
Strategic development and vision
· Contribute to and implement the strategic development of the school in accordance with GESS’ accrediting bodies and decisions made by SLT and SMT.
· Ensure all aspects of school performance are monitored and evaluated in a robust, cyclical manner.
· Develop and implement school policies and procedures.
· Contribute to innovation and change to improve teaching and learning practices across the school.
Student pastoral care and well-being
· Ensure that agreed standards of behaviour, such as the Code of Conduct, are communicated and implemented.
· Always ensure the maintenance of good order and discipline during the school day and whenever students are engaged in authorized school activities, whether on the school premises or elsewhere.
· Directly lead consequences or other outcomes for tier 3 behavioural issues.
· Ensure tier 1 and 2 behavioural issues are effectively management by staff.
· Support and lead initiatives that prevent poor behaviour and support student well-being.
· Build structures, systems and develop learning environments to ensure students are supported throughout their educational journey.
Curriculum and pedagogy
· Communicate and implement a clear vision for high-quality educational standards in accordance with school policies and procedures.
· Plan, lead, and document purposeful and efficient faculty meetings.
· Ensure subject and grade level team meetings occur regularly and are run effectively.
· Support the development of excellent academics, athletics, arts, and activities (clubs, CCAs, community service, trips, etc.) for students at GESS.
· Ensure excellent curriculum and pedagogical practices are implemented in every classroom.
· In consensus with PLT, plan effective professional learning opportunities for every staff member to improve their teaching practice.
· In consensus with PLT, plan and implement key pedagogy developments (e.g., differentiation, learning objectives, formative assessment) to ensure the improvement and standardisation of effective, research based, teaching and learning practices.
· Implement a multi-tier support structure, to differentiate planning and instruction for the range of student abilities (support and extension).
· Ensure curriculum is developed and followed by teachers through the phases of planning, teaching, and assessment.
· Ensure appropriate student assessment and relevant data is tracked, recorded, analysed, communicated, and acted upon to enhance student learning.
· Ensure the effective day to day operations.
· Ensure all teachers are fulfilling their roles and responsibilities effectively.
· Deploy and manage all teaching staff and allocate duties according to their conditions of employment.
· Work closely with the Director of Marketing & Admissions to review and assess applications within agreed timeframes and in line with the admissions policy.
· Manage the appraisal, recruitment, and retention of staff in accordance with school policy.
· Ensure that teachers receive the information they need to carry out their professional duties effectively.
· Support leadership of the school to build capacity, recognize existing talents and encourage delegation.
· Ensure all Junior Level and Middle Level leadership positions are fulfilling their roles and responsibilities effectively.
· Challenge underperformance at all levels and put in place effective procedures to deal with underperforming staff in accordance with the school’s appraisal system.
· Submit any request as per GESS process and policy and according to academic operational budgets.
· With the Vice Principal and the Director of HR ensure staffing plans and recruitment remains on budget.
· With the Vice Principal ensure Professional Development plans are implemented and remain on budget.
· Ensure effective and timely communication with all members of the GESS community in accordance with policies, procedures and the Principal’s expectations.
· All other responsibilities and tasks as deemed appropriate by SLT and the Line Manager.
Knowledge and Experience
An experienced leader with the following key areas of knowledge and expertise:
• A high degree of fluency in English
• International school teaching and leadership experience
• Educated to Degree Level, Masters (or equivalent) preferred.
• Qualified Teacher status with a minimum of 10 years of teaching experience
• Proven leadership experience in a senior educational leadership role of minimum 5 years.
• Proven ability to develop opportunities for parental involvement
• Good understanding of educational quality management and its role in relevance for the quality of performance in international schools
• Proven understanding of effective teaching and learning theory and practice
• A good understanding of the curriculum
• An excellent understanding of contemporary international educational policies and best practices
GESS is committed to our responsibilities for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of all children and young people. We actively recruit candidates who share our commitment to safeguarding and, therefore, apply robust and comprehensive recruitment and selection procedures. We expect all appointed staff to adhere to and ensure compliance with the relevant GESS Safeguarding Policy and Procedures. If the job holder identifies any instance that a child may be harmed or are at risk of harm (physically or emotionally) in any environment, they must report any concerns to the School’s Designated Safeguarding Lead or a member of the Safeguarding Team.
We offer an exciting working environment in an international and cooperative team. Your application should include a letter of application and your complete resume. Please indicate your reasons for applying for the position.
Our Selection Process
At GESS we adhere to fair employment practices that consist of hiring practices that are fair, merit-based and non-discriminatory.
We are committed to providing a world class, safe, happy environment in which children and young people are able to thrive and learn. We are committed to safeguarding and child protection as we promote the welfare of all our pupils irrespective of race, ability, religion, gender or culture.
All post holders are subject to appropriate vetting procedures including satisfactory reference and background checks and the offer of employment will be subject to the completion of these. In addition, the visa entry requirements for Singapore are subject to certain requirements being met. This includes but is not limited to, mandatory diphtheria and measles vaccination requirements for children attending school in Singapore will need to be in place prior to arriving in Singapore in order for the criteria for a child Dependent Pass to be met and the visa granted. Further information on this will be shared at interview stage if applicable.
For more details on the position and the application process, please visit https://www.gess.edu.sg/en/careers/jobs-at-our-international-school-in-singapore
The closing date for applications: 29 February 2024
Start Date: 01 August 2024