< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Oct 22, 19
Nov 1, 19
JOB TITLE: Director of Professional Learning and Instruction
SCHOOL / DEPT: Office of Learning
REPORTS TO: Director of Learning
SALARY SCALE: Admin Level 2
CREATION DATE: October 2019
JOB GOAL / PURPOSE
The International School of Beijing (ISB) aspires to be an adaptive, inspirational, forward-looking learning community, cultivating relationships that ignite each student’s passion for lifelong learning. We will nurture the intellectual, physical, social, and emotional development of each child. We will embrace change, inspire creativity and foster innovation. We will actively promote global understanding and respect within and between cultures. Our community will model integrity and seek opportunities to serve with compassion and conviction.
Of utmost importance is our strong sense of community and vibrant, culturally diverse campus, where learning is engaging for our over 1,780 students representing more than 50 countries. Research-based programs, high-quality teaching, and outstanding and ever-improving facilities mean students at ISB are being prepared for success in a world that keeps changing at a breathtaking pace.
The Director of Professional Learning and Instruction provides vision, leadership and coordination in the development and implementation of professional learning, our identified teacher growth model and the ISB Coaching Model. This position is under the supervision of the Director of Learning in collaboration with divisional leadership.
The major focus of work is on the professional learning program at ISB to support teacher growth in line with our model of teacher professional growth, and to develop the systems and structures of the ISB coaching model as we expand the number of coaches. This position comes with high levels of autonomy and collaboration regarding the direction and priorities of these school-wide programs.
Applications will be accepted via ISB’s employment website until November 1, 2019. Candidates should note, however, that in the event outstanding applicants are identified early in the search process, we will close the position before the stated deadline. For this reason, it is important that interested candidates apply as soon as possible.
- The development of learning principles based on research-based practices to guide instructional decisions and areas of growth
- The development, management, and implementation of our professional growth model for all faculty level positions (teachers, librarians, coaches, etc.)
- The organization of the professional learning program at ISB including school development days, facilitates the overall plan for professional learning each year, and logistics to support professional learning (both on and off-campus) - Works with administration to Identify and contract with professional learning experts to support program development and teacher learning - Shares relevant professional learning opportunities with faculty - Facilitates school identified opportunities for group professional learning - Develops long-range plans for professional learning and program implementation - Develops schedules and identifies outcomes for professional learning consultants as they support teaching and learning at ISB. - Supports consultants in preparation for their time at ISB and while they are at ISB. - Directs Staff Development Coordinator in support of the professional learning program, systems and processes - Directs evaluation of the professional learning program.
- Co-supervision (with building-level leadership) of the Instructional Coaching Team (PK-12)
- The development of systems and structures to measure impact of coaching on teacher and student learning
- The identification of areas of growth in our instructional program
- Reading groups each year around a professional book of interest and/or in support of identified school-wide priorities
- Maintenance and enhancement of a professional reading library in line with school-wide priorities
- Use of external and internal assessment data to identify areas of instructional growth
- Director of Learning on the implementation of school-wide initiatives related to teaching and learning
- The identification of needed areas for professional growth in teaching and learning
- Other school identified areas of growth or development (e.g. Standards-Based Grading and Reporting, Personalized Learning, Making Thinking Visible, etc.)
- Director of Learning and Director of Curriculum and Assessment on school-wide initiatives and professional learning for faculty and staff
- Building level-leaders on all aspects related to the professional learning program, coaching program and teacher growth model
- Staff Development Coordinator to ensure strong systems and processes for professional learning at ISB
- Learning Leadership Team
- Learning Connections Team
- Building level admin meetings as needed
- Faculty Meetings as needed
- Board Committee meetings as needed
- in professional learning to support their own learning and the various initiatives of the school.
- in positive relationships to continue the development, implementation, and assessment of the major responsibilities of this position
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership
- Experience in a school-wide leadership position
- Experience and current knowledge of staff development programs and implementation
- Successful classroom teaching experience
- Strong ICT skills, with current knowledge of technology infusion in classroom practices
- Superior facilitation and organizational ability, with demonstrated ability to lead groups, facilitate meetings, collaborate and implement change
- The capacity to organize and deliver effective presentations to diverse audiences
- Strong knowledge of research-based pedagogy and assessment and awareness of adult learning theory