< Back to Leadership Vacancies
No longer accepting applications
May 27, 21
Aug 1, 21
American Community School of Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Seeks a new Director of Student Support Services
The start date is August 2022
Established in 1972, the American Community School of Abu Dhabi is a non-profit, U.S. accredited college preparatory school serving a culturally diverse student body. Our American, standards-based curriculum provides excellence in academics, the arts, athletics, and service.
We are a compassionate, student-centered community of learners that engages, prepares, and inspires.
Our community empowers all students to define and shape their futures for learning, service, and global citizenship.
Established in 1972, ACS is a private, non-profit school licensed by the U.A.E. Ministry of Education, accredited by the Middle States Association, administered by the Superintendent and governed by an eleven-person Board of Trustees. Community support for excellence in education, a strong leadership team, highly qualified faculty and staff, and outstanding students have enabled ACS to establish an excellent reputation in the Abu Dhabi community and worldwide.
ACS currently has 1200 students and will be moving to a new campus on Saadiyat Island in the Fall of 2023. This new campus will be built to accommodate 1500 students and is approximately 10 minutes from our current campus. Because of the continuing development of Abu Dhabi, we typically have more applications for admission than available seats.
The 1200 students at ACS represent 50 different nationalities, with Americans representing the largest segment of the student body at 64%. Enrollment is open to all English-speaking students who are likely to be able to successfully complete our challenging American, college preparatory curriculum.
An eleven-member Board of Trustees governs ACS. Trustees are non-employee members of the American Community School Association. Eight members are elected by the Parent-Teacher Association which includes parents, administrators, faculty and staff; and three members are appointed by the elected Board.
Our administration team includes a Superintendent, Assistant Superintendent, three Principals, and two assistant principals. They are supported by Directors in Finance, Human Resource, Athletic/Activities, Technology, Government Relations, Admissions, Institutional Advancement, Communication and Facilities.
ACS faculty members are dedicated professionals who work together in collaborative teams to develop and deliver the curriculum. ACS currently employs 140 faculty members, creating an overall student/teacher ratio of 9:2. Approximately 70% of ACS faculty members have Master's degrees or more, and roughly 70% of our teachers have at least 10 years of teaching experience. Faculty and staff are actively involved in sponsoring numerous after school activities that enhance students’ experiences at school including a variety of academic, musical, dramatic, artistic, recreational, technological, and athletic activities.
Our parents are highly supportive of the school and are deeply involved in activities such as classroom enrichment, booster club, seasonal events, and intramural sports. A thriving parent volunteer program is a trademark of the school. The school encourages students to be involved in after-school programs and community support makes this possible. Our students contribute more than 6500 hours of service annually.
Our curriculum is a college preparatory program that is comparable to high-quality private schools in the United States. Based on U.S. standards, it is an integrated K-12 curriculum that is reviewed annually and updated on a four-year cycle. The development of a well-aligned and relevant curriculum and the implementation of sound instructional practices contribute to the academic success of ACS students. Our Director for the Office of Learning is supported by two curriculum coaches and a data specialist.
In addition to traditional core courses provided in an American school, ACS offers the International Baccalaureate Diploma as well as a variety of Advanced Placement (AP) classes, an integrated technology curriculum, a wide selection of elective courses in the middle school and high school, various fine arts options, and service opportunities for students. ACS graduates have an impressive record for college acceptances and standardized test scores.
The United Arab Emirates is a federation of seven emirates established in 1972. The population of the UAE is approximately five million inhabitants of which an estimated 80% are expatriates. Wise government leadership has enabled the UAE to remain a stable and prosperous country where people of many nationalities live and work together in peace and harmony. While the official state religion is Islam, the practice of all religious beliefs is allowed. For additional information on the UAE, please visit the following links: https://www.ecouncil.ae/en/ADEmirate/Pages/default.aspx
Abu Dhabi, the largest of the seven emirates, occupies 87% of UAE's area. The Abu Dhabi government has been successful in gradually expanding the economy to reduce dependence on oil and attract a diverse professional population through the implementation of the “Plan Abu Dhabi 2030.”
The island city of Abu Dhabi, within the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, is the country’s capital. Abu Dhabi is a clean, safe, and modern city with many recreational opportunities available for residents. It is a cosmopolitan city with excellent roads and infrastructure, numerous parks, modern high-rise buildings, shopping malls, and beaches. The multinational expatriate community enjoys a pleasant environment including many western shops, restaurants, services, and cultural events.
Our Current Facilities
Our current facilities are located on a four-acre campus and include 88 classrooms, media centers, science laboratories, art and music rooms, a cafeteria, an auditorium, two gymnasiums, fitness and dance centers, a 25-meter swimming pool; synthetic grass athletic fields; and a nurse's clinic. The school is committed to educational technology with more than 800 computers currently networked and linked to the internet for student and faculty use.
Our Future Facilities
ACS will be moving to a new purpose-built campus in August 2023 on Saadiyat Island.
The Director of Student Support Services is a K-12 position that oversees the work of the school psychologist, learning support teachers and assistants, EAL teachers, counselors, and nurses to ensure that the program reflects the ACS mission and vision and aligns with the curricular objectives of the school.
- develops, coordinates, and implements all programs and policies pertaining to student support (in collaboration with principals and the Office of Learning)
- participates in short- and long-term planning aligned to the ACS Strategic Plan and Middle States Accreditation
- creates and updates manuals, handbooks, and other publications pertaining to student support services
- creates school-wide reporting, assessment, and screening systems in order to document individual learner challenges, needs, and program modifications
- develops ongoing relationships with local educational psychologists, doctors, therapists, and other professionals to complement ACS student support services and acts as a liaison for families
- partners with principals on hiring and supervision of student support services staff
- coordinates, in collaboration with the Office of Learning, job-embedded and external professional learning for all members of the team
- serves as a member of the crisis management team
- serves as a partner in the admissions process
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Masters degree in special education, regular education and/or educational leadership
- Experience leading a team of counselors and special educators
- Training in and experience supporting learners of English as an Additional Language (EAL)
- Experience with program development and evaluation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to collaborate as a part of a professional team of teachers, administrators, parents and other stakeholders
In the event that an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, ACS reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline.
Qualified and interested candidates should send the following information as a single PDF attachment by August 1, 2021, to:
Marise Jayendran - Director, Human Resources
Subject: Director of Student Support Services
- Cover letter of application, not to exceed two pages, stating your strengths and why you want to work at ACS and Abu Dhabi. Please tell us why you would be the best candidate for this position.
- Resume, not to exceed two pages.
- A list of references (at least three) including their names, positions, current email addresses, and the current superintendent of your present school.