< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Don MacIntyre
Feb 24, 15
Apr 15, 15
QATAR ACADEMY, DOHA (QATAR)
For the 2016-2017 School Year
Qatar Academy Doha seeks a Director
Effective August 2016
Qatar Foundation Schools is seeking an exceptional educational leader to serve as the new Director of Qatar Academy Doha effective August 1, 2016.
The Director is responsible for all aspects of the school’s operation and will be responsible for the refinement, revision and implementation of the school’s strategic vision. A detailed description of the position including qualifications, attributes and responsibilities is included at the end of this document.
Qatar Academy – Doha (QAD) is one of the Middle East’s premier educational institutions. QAD is an International Baccalaureate World School accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and the Council of International Schools. The school offers academic excellence in programs inclusive of ages six months to grade 12, and it is based on principle that education involves the development of a student’s cognitive, physical, social, moral and affective capabilities.
A dynamic classroom curriculum combined with community and service programs, experiential education, and extra-curricular activities enable students to participate in and reflect on the educational journey from Early Years through Grade 12. Students are a respected part of the learning process shared with parents and teachers. They are encouraged to be risk takers, enquirers and confidently seek answers.
Qatar Academy Doha does not just educate. QAD prepares students for work, life and leadership in their own communities and society at-large. A highly committed staff of local and international teachers, administrators, and support staff make the school a warm and welcoming environment for students and parents alike.
Qatar Academy was founded in 1996 to provide quality international education opportunities to the local community. The school is part of the Qatar Foundation, a vision of Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser. The school has had rapid growth over the last several years and the Early Years to Grade 12 classes are currently at capacity.
Doha is the capital of Qatar – a sovereign Arab state – located in Western Asia and occupying the small Qatar Peninsula on the northeasterly coast of the Arabian Peninsula. Its sole land border is with Saudi Arabia to the south, with the rest of its territory surrounded by the Arabian Gulf. The Al Thani family has ruled Qatar since the mid-19th century. Formerly a British protectorate noted mainly for pearling, it became independent in 1971, and has become one of the region's wealthiest states due to its enormous oil and natural gas revenues.
The school is located within Qatar Foundation (QF), which was founded in 1995 by decree of His Highness The Father Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani. The current Emir is his son, His Highness Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani. Qatar Foundation is chaired by Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser. Its aim is to "support Qatar on its journey from a carbon economy to a knowledge economy by unlocking human potential".
Qatar Foundation carries out this mission through three "pillars": education, science & research, and community development. QF’s work in the education field has brought a number of international universities to Qatar to help develop an education sector in which young people can develop the attitudes and skills required for a knowledge economy. Its main science and research agenda is to build Qatar's innovation and technology capacity by developing and commercializing solutions through key sciences. Its community development programs aim to help foster a progressive society, while also enhancing the cultural landscape, protecting Qatar's heritage and addressing immediate social needs in the community.
Current enrollment for Qatar Academy is 1825 from Early Years to Grade 12. A large percentage of the student population is Qatari.
Qatar Academy offers a rigorous program encompassing an international English-medium education, strong Arabic and Islamic Studies. The QA community supports and challenges students to be critical thinkers, and active and contributing members of society, through learning experiences serving the needs, interests and learning styles of each student.
Qatar Academy exists to provide the highest possible standard of education and to achieve academic excellence for each student, develop independent critical thinkers, lifelong learners and responsible citizens.
Qatar Academy will meet the educational needs and expectations of our students, and aspire to provide those opportunities that our students need to develop to their full potential through:
- achieving academic excellence through varied teaching and learning strategies
- providing for and maintaining the highest standards through continuous evaluation and improvement of all programs
- providing a well-rounded education for the highest standards of academic, physical, social and cultural growth and development
- employing an appropriate admissions policy to ensure that only students of the highest ability, who will benefit from the Academy’s programs, will be admitted
- providing consistently challenging targets, so that each student realizes his/her full potential
- teaching the most appropriate, internationally accredited syllabuses
- providing a safe and supportive environment in which to learn
- encouraging the virtues of self-respect and respect for others
- embracing and utilizing Information Technology to ensure students can succeed in a rapidly changing world
- providing a wide-range of extra-curricular opportunities for students to develop outside the academic sphere
- emphasizing that effective communication between all parties is fundamental to the efficient running of the school
- promoting management which is supportive and enabling, committed to the development of all people in the organization and to constant improvement
- promoting an appreciation of various traditions and values, including Arab culture and language, and
- working in partnership with parents, colleges and the local community
In collaboration with the Educational Leadership Team and the Administrative Team, the Director is responsible for the effective development, delivery, and evaluation of all educational programs, including academic and pastoral elements.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership or Master’s Degree with additional qualification in administration/leadership and or a PhD.
- Significant, recent experience successfully leading a sizable international school
- Experience building and maintaining an effective school culture
- Extensive experience in leading dynamic effective change and growth.
- Experience in leading a multi-level IB schoolA deep understanding of the diverse needs of children at various stages of their development
- Understanding and experience of best educational practices
- Understanding and experience with fostering interdisciplinary planning and teaming
- Understanding and experience in integrating technology into curriculum to improve student achievement
The following are key attributes we are seeking:
|| A Community Builder
|| Emotionally Intelligent
The Director will:
- Provide exemplary educational leadership
- Lead in the recruitment and retention of outstanding staff
- Assign, organize and evaluate staff
- Promote a strong culture of professional growth through dynamic support, supervision and evaluation of teachers and instructional support staff
- Promote a collaborative and cohesive learning culture
- Ensure that all decisions and processes are designed to improve student learning
- Ensure that the school meets all CIS and NEASC accreditation requirements
- Ensure that the school is aligned with all IB requirements
- Provide clear protocols and processes to ensure regular, quality communication between home and school
- Work with the teachers on curriculum development and professional development planning
- Oversee a programs which support exemplary student behavior
- Oversee the school admissions process
- Manage a significant building project
- Manage the school’s operational budgets
- Work with parents in a dynamic, thoughtful and proactive way
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director of Schools
Salary and Benefits
Salary is highly competitive and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include a tax-free salary, housing, health, life and long-term disability insurance, annual home leave, shipping allowance, gratuity and tuition benefits for Pre K – Grade 12 school-age dependents.
Candidates wishing to learn more about QA can go to our website at www.qataracademy.edu.qa.
The deadline for application is April 15, 2015. The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Candidates should note that Qatar Foundation Schools reserves the right to make an appointment at any time, even before the deadline mentioned if an exceptional candidate is identified early in the process. For this reason, interested candidates are encouraged to apply at the earliest possible time.
Candidates should send the information requested below to:
Mr. Peter Corcoran
Qatar Foundation Schools
Application materials should include:
- Cover letter of application
- Resume, generally not more than two pages
- Educational philosophy statement
- A list of five references – one being your current Board Chair
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.