< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Sep 28, 20
Nov 15, 20
Shaping Local Leaders and Global Learners
Vision International School
Al Wakrah, Qatar
Effective: August 2021
Application Deadline: November 15, 2020
Learn More: www.vis.qa
ABOUT THE SCHOOL
Vision International School (VIS) is a proprietary school owned by the renowned Almuftah Group, and originally developed by International Schools Services (ISS). VIS is a separate gender, college preparatory school, located in Al Wakrah – a close suburb of Doha, Qatar – in the Arabian Gulf. Campus construction was completed in 2014 and the school is a modern, spacious and beautiful educational facility.
The brand new campus opened in September 2014, with more than 225 students in grades Pre-K through Grade 8. VIS currently has 820 students enrolled. It’s student body represents 26 nationalities with the majority being mostly Qatari nationals. Classes are co-ed in Pre-K through Kindergarten. From Grades 1 and up, classes are single gender. The school is accredited by the Ministry of Education (QNSA), is a member of the Council of International Schools (CIS), is accredited through the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA) and offers an American international curriculum along with Arabic language, Qatari History, and Islamic Studies.
MISSION AND VISION
Vision International School is a gender-separate American-curriculum school committed to preparing students for the 21st century by providing an academic environment in which students learn how to collaboratively solve problems and learn independently. In addition, students learn to express themselves through the fine arts, athletics, and a wide range of activities and experiences designed to enrich their lives. We also seek to instill a sense of ethics, care and compassion for others.
Shaping local leaders and global learners
VIS aims to be a community that shapes local leaders and global learners by developing leadership skills, increasing global awareness, and by celebrating the culture and traditions of Qatar.
Expected Learning Results
VIS is owned by the Almuftah Group who are also the owners of English Modern Schools. Almuftah believes strongly in, and is proud of its commitment to excellent education in Qatar. Currently Almuftah and VIS school leadership are developing an outstanding, best-practice governance model to ensure that the vision and mission of VIS is realized.
The modern purpose-built campus is located in the Ezdan2 neighborhood of Al Wakra, a very short distance from the Al Wakrah Sports Complex and roundabout. The Al Janoub (World) Stadium is visible from our campus along with an excellent full service shopping mall and a state of the art government hospital. The school facilities include:
- An Early Childhood Division for Pre-K, Kindergarten, and Grade 1 students
- Separate Boys and Girls Divisions in the elementary school for Grades 2-6, and in the middle/high school for Grades 7-12
- A full size gymnasium, swimming pool, two cafeterias, a well-equipped library, art, science, and music labs and fully air - conditioned settings.
WHAT MAKES US DIFFERENT?
A Vision International School
- Provides a wide range of experiences and programs that actively engage students and promote their growth intellectually, physically, aesthetically and socially while developing a depth of character that exhibits empathy, a sense of service, moral courage and humility.
- Sparks a passion in every student for learning and to become intensely immersed in their own education as its own reward. This will be accomplished by the provision of student centered learning experiences that are real and relevant to the student and under the guidance of caring, nurturing teachers that recognize each child as a unique individual.
- Instills global citizenship by celebrating the culture and traditions of Qatar and other countries of the world. By experiencing the world through the eyes of others, and recognizing our similarities and differences, students will become more grounded in their own culture, values and traditions while gaining a broader understanding and appreciation of human diversity.
- Recognizes the unique learning needs of each student and will provide an appropriately rigorous program for all. Differentiated learning will establish expectations that challenge all students to grow beyond their boundaries under the guidance of a teaching faculty that deeply understands the unique educational needs and capabilities of every child.
- Uses technology appropriately as a natural extension to enhance learning opportunities. Students will be exposed to and engaged in the use of technology on a regular basis as a means to expand their classroom experience and provide them new opportunities for self expression and discovery.
OUR VISION FOR LEARNING
At VIS all students will be provided with a rigorous and relevant educational path to support individual development at the highest levels. This will be accomplished through the experiential, problem-based approach in which we make content and skills standards come to life for students by connecting learning to relevant issues, their specific learning needs, and authentic audiences. Academic content is charged with rigor through the curricular structures of learning expeditions, case studies, projects, fieldwork, engagement with community experts, service learning, and exhibitions of student work.
The elements of our curriculum are approved by the Ministry of Education in Qatar; together they form a curriculum vision and approach that is expeditionary in nature. We apply this approach to immerse students in the culture, history, geography, language, and arts of the host region. We will provide multiple ways for students to express their personal learning style and show what they know and are able to do through authentic assessments coupled with research-based differentiated and individualized instructional practices.
Our foundational theories are consistent with our principles of learning and designed to create independent learners with personal integrity, intellectual character, and interdependent community leadership skills.
The faculty of VIS are carefully selected from the best available teachers around the world. Annual recruiting trips by the Director ensures that our faculty is of the highest caliber and demonstrates commitment to, and passion for, fostering global citizenship. We will specifically strive to recruit teachers with prior experience teaching in North American curriculum schools who possess strong interdisciplinary skills and a collaborative style along with the ability to excite students about learning, exploration and discovery. Our teachers will also demonstrate a commitment to life long learning and global education.
VIS faculty are committed to ongoing professional development, providing personalized instruction, and presenting a child-centered, stimulating academic program. In addition, they will actively promote the social and emotional well-being of every child in their care. Our school will be a warm, friendly environment for children overseen by a caring, engaged faculty. VIS is committed to providing an organized, ongoing professional development program for its teachers to ensure that up-to-date educational practices are continually made available to the children of VIS.
AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITIES
Our robust after-school program is offered for students in Grades KG and above. The after-school program forms an essential part of the holistic education of students and, although optional, all students are encouraged to participate. Once enrolled, students are expected to attend regularly and to be punctual. In addition, there are a number of interscholastic athletic events and opportunities to join with other schools in Qatar
The Director’s role at Vision International School is to provide the necessary leadership to promote and support the mission, vision and values of the school. The Director reports directly to the Board Chairman of the VIS Board of Directors and is expected to maintain effective working relationships with all members of the VIS school community, including the School Board, school administrators, teachers, non-teaching staff, students, parents, the MOE, International School organizations, as well as other members of the community at large. The Director will be a positive role model that fosters a dynamic learning environment by overseeing efficient and productive day-to-day operations of the school.
The school Director’s responsibilities include:
- Communicates the vision and mission of the school to all stakeholders on a regular basis.
- Supervises the Senior Leadership Team and delegates duties to them appropriately.
- Provides leadership to the total educational program of the school.
- Implements the policies outlined in the VIS Policy Handbook.
- Oversees the preparation and implementation of the annual budget.
- Supervises the preparation of the Student/Parent Handbook, the Faculty Handbook and the New Teacher Orientation Guide (in collaboration with the Executive Council).
- Collaborates with the Executive Council in the development of the annual school calendar
- Oversees the admissions procedures for new students.
- Collaborates with designated HR and/or Head Office staff in the arrangement of maintenance and custodial contracts for the school.
- Collaborates with designated Head Office staff in the acquisition of housing for sponsored staff members.
- Collaborates with designated Head Office staff in the arrangement of a food services contract for the school cafeteria (if applicable).
- Is responsible for the recruitment and selection of staff.
- Oversees staff evaluation and delegates responsibilities to other members of the leadership team. Does classroom observations as appropriate.
- Oversees the “settling in” of new staff members.
- Oversees the development of promotional materials for the recruitment of new staff.
- Ensures the safety and security of students and others in the school educational programs and activities (on & off campus).
- Ensures that the school discipline policy is outlined in the school’s handbooks.
- Ensures that the school discipline policy is followed.
- When necessary, oversees the development of promotional materials for the recruitment of new students.
- Attends appropriate and relevant educational workshops, seminars and conferences on current trends, practices and research.
- Develops a school-wide strategy for Staff Professional Development activities.
- Approves expenses for individual Professional Development activities of staff members.
- Collaborates with the Curriculum & Assessment Director to provide curricular oversight to ensure that the school maintains curricular consistency and continuity.
- Oversees the ordering of curriculum materials and textbooks.
- Maintains awareness of curriculum innovations that surface in areas outside the school.
- Collaborates with the Curriculum & Assessment Director to oversee curriculum review and program implementation.
- Ensures that the school is in compliance with all local legal requirements, including the MOE, Civil Defense, Municipality, Baladiya, etc.
- Determines the reporting procedures that are used by the school.
- Establishes and updates Emergency Procedures for the school.
- Ensures that all school procedures are current, relevant and regularly updated.
- Accountable and responsible for all health and safety aspects of the school.
- Attends all School Board meetings.
- Liaises with the MOE representative assigned to the school.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Master’s Degree (with a Major in the area of Educational Leadership or Administration)
- Demonstrated ability to lead
- Five years of experience in a senior leadership position (preference given if this experience was in an International School and Middle East)
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Proven ability to organize, supervise and plan.
- Ability to work with diverse staff in a professional, respectful and courteous manner.
- Ability to contribute positively to a team environment.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
An initial two year, renewable contract will be offered to the successful candidate. It will be internationally competitive.
All candidates who wish to apply for the position are requested to facilitate the application process and ensure that the following details are provided in a uniform and consistent manner:
- Letter of application (max 1 page)
- Curriculum Vitae (max 2 pages)
- Philosophy of Educational Leadership (max 1 page)
- Contact details of three references: one each from the last three schools and one should be the current Head of School. Include name, title, email, phone, Skype (if available)
All of the above should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 15th, 2020.
Candidates will be contacted by November 27th only if they are shortlisted for an interview with the Search Committee. Interviews will take place during the week of December 1st, 2020.
Final selection of the new Director will be at the discretion of the VIS Board of Directors, who reserve the right to make a decision earlier than the announced deadlines if an outstanding candidate comes forward.