< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Early Years & Primary Assistant Principal
Shen Wai International School (China)
Oct 15, 18
Dec 15, 18
Early Years & PrimaRy Assistant Principal
Shen Wai International School (SWIS), Shenzhen, China
Term of Contract: August 1st, 2019 – July 31st, 2021
Shen Wai International School (SWIS) is an inspiring IB Continuum school accredited by CIS and WASC. Located in the dynamic city of Shenzhen, the school serves over 1000 students from Pre-kindergarten to Grade 12. For more information, please visit the school website at www.swis.cn
Inspiring Global Minds
Shen Wai International School develops confident, open-minded, lifelong learners and inspires students to take action as responsible global citizens.
- Inspiring: cultivating critical, creative, reflective thinkers with the skills and intellect to shape a better future.
- Ethical: encouraging students to be open minded and tolerant and to act with integrity, honesty and compassion.
- Global: providing challenging educational programs for an interconnected world.
- Sustainable: developing active learners with a lifelong love of learning.
The current Assistant Principal is leaving the position after a highly successful seven-year tenure at SWIS.
SWIS is therefore seeking a dynamic and experienced Early Years & Primary Assistant Principal to facilitate the ongoing strategic development of the SWIS Early Years & Primary Division. The Assistant Principal is a full-time leadership position.
Reports to: Early Years & Primary Principal
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Assistant Principal is a member of the PYP school leadership team that implements, supervises, and evaluates curriculum
- Supports the school’s strategic plan, board policy and other relevant policy and procedural matters
- Supervises and evaluates instruction to enhance, enrich, and support student learning
- Ensures a safe and positive atmosphere
- Ensures that disciplinary guidelines are fairly and consistently applied
- Assists in maintaining effective programs to strengthen and monitor student discipline, attendance and individual progress
Teachers and Support Staff
- As a member of the leadership team, evaluates staff in accordance with prescribed procedures
- Effectively contributes to recruiting as required
- Uses data to improve instructional practice and maximize student learning
- Provides leadership and direction to the Social Committee and ensure the committee is kept on track for all goals they have set for themselves, and that the activities align with the culture of SWIS
- Contributes to public relations within the school community, including meeting regularly with parents, and providing written articles for the school’s publications
- Ensures that the parents are well informed about school issues and events
- Fosters positive relationships between the school and parents
- Informs the Early Years & Primary Principal and Management Team of any relevant issues affecting staff, students and parents
- Provides opportunities for professional growth – goal setting
- Models continuous learning and a growth mind-set
- Works with the Principal and Logistics to ensure maintenance matters and student safety are attended to
- Has the ability to envision the design of a school of the future, where facilities best support students in a 21st century learning environment
- Maintains and ensures the accuracy of the school calendar of events
- Works in partnership with the school leadership team to achieve school objectives
- Serves and leads committees as requested by the Early Years & Primary Principal
- Promotes and models the use of technology to access, analyze and interpret school data to focus efforts on improving student learning
- Is responsible for administering the teacher substitute protocol, including the training of substitute teachers
- Contributes to the development of the schedule for students and teachers
- Leads in the absence of the Early Years & Primary Principal
- Works closely with the Early Years & Primary Principal at all times and is familiar with all the administrative aspects of the school
- Supervises the co-ordination of major school functions
- In the absence of the Early Years & Primary Principal’s PA, is secretary at staff meetings, briefing meetings and ensures that copies of minutes are distributed to parties concerned and electronically saved
- Assists with student orientation and registration activities
- Assists Logistics with emergency drills/evacuations.
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum 2 years educational leadership/coordination experience.
- Masters Degree in Educational Leadership or Curriculum.
- Experience with staff development, cognitive coaching and appraisal.
- Curricular development experience in the PYP.
- Experience running day-to-day operations of an international school division.
Desired Leadership Qualities
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain an effective working school culture of trust with students, parents and staff members.
- Demonstrated ability to proactively, and effectively problem solve.
- Kind natured, accessible and visible.
- Understands the Chinese context.
To apply please send:
- A one-page letter of application.
- A current resume not to exceed two pages and including a recent picture.
- A one-page statement outlining your educational philosophy.
- A one-page list of references including current contact information of three school administrators with whom you have worked.
to: Mr. Daniel Legault - Deputy Director (Academics) email@example.com
and cc to: Ms. Lynn Huang – HR Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications – December 15th, 2018
SWIS reserves the right to appoint a candidate before the application deadline. SWIS therefore encourages interested candidates to submit their applications as soon as possible.
The SWIS Commitment to Non-Discrimination in Hiring Practices
All applicants must be able to satisfy the requirements to obtain a Chinese “Z” Visa. Beyond these restrictions, SWIS is an equal opportunity employer.
The SWIS Commitment to Child Protection in Hiring Practices
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a high standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.