< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Mar 21, 19
Aug 15, 19
Elementary School Principal
The American School of Dubai (ASD) is a college-preparatory, Pre-K through grade 12,
independent, not for profit American curriculum school, offering what is best about American
education to provide learning experiences designed to promote the maximum potential of its
Our Mission Statement
We challenge and inspire each student to achieve their dreams and to become a passionate
learner prepared to adapt and contribute in a rapidly changing world.
ASD is located in a residential area within Dubai, the global business and cultural hub of the
United Arab Emirates. The ASD campus is a 23-acre, million square foot, wireless, state-of-theart
facility and includes spaces designed to promote phenomenal learning experiences for
approximately 1900 students, representing over 70 nationalities. The campus offers 100
classrooms, two libraries, multi-purpose rooms , a 630-seat performing arts theatre, a black box
theatre, a field house, indoor and outdoor running tracks, a climbing wall, regulation soccer
fields, playing fields and play areas, a dance studio, fitness center, two 25-meter swimming
pools, six tennis courts and two cafeterias. The facilities provide for band and choir, offers five
art studios, nine science labs, three maker/STEAM labs and a student-broadcasting studio.
Teaching and Learning at ASD
Learning is at the heart of the ASD experience. To support the rich and dynamic relationship
between teacher and student, ASD provides guidance and support to faculty by fostering an
environment of collaborative professional practice. The faculty work in teams and departments
in support of continuous student learning. ASD fosters dialogue around research supporting the
best practices in curriculum alignment, assessment and instruction. ASD is committed to
student-centered approaches to learning and assessments in accordance with the ASD
Learning Principles, valuing inquiry, creativity, collaboration, and collegiality.
Please visit our website to learn more about the school.
At ASD, students remain a primary focus as evidenced by our bold strategic plan – mobilizing
us to make disruptive change in areas such as community service (e.g. volunteerism), meeting
the diverse learning needs of students (e.g. inclusion) and deepening our relationship with
metrics (e.g. using data to inform instruction). As we consider the work ahead, we are also
exploring opportunities to personalize learning by developing “pathways” through the ASD
curriculum, where students can go deeper in areas of interest or future-relevant disciplines. It is
truly exciting work and an exciting time to be at ASD.
Click here to Learn all the reasons why it's great to Live. Work. Learn. Teach in Dubai at ASD.
The American School of Dubai is seeking a dynamic and passionate educator for the role of
Elementary School Principal. The person appointed to the position will be expected to provide
academic and administrative leadership to the Elementary School learning community. The ideal
candidate will be a caring and thoughtful individual, experienced in leading an Elementary School
faculty towards inclusive teaching practices to meet the needs of diverse learners. He/she will
demonstrate competency as an inspirational and progressive pedagogical leader with strong
organizational and management skills. The Elementary School Principal will successfully guide the Elementary School in providing what is best about American education in order to create learning experiences designed to promote the potential of each our students. He/she will have experience in leading an Elementary School faculty towards inclusive teaching practices to meet the needs of diverse learners.
The successful candidate will support the school’s mission and core values with a proven track
record of success and outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
The Elementary School Principal reports to the Superintendent and will serve as a member of the
ASD Core Cabinet Team.
The primary areas of responsibility of the Elementary School Principal include:
- Provide leadership to the successful implementation of the School’s Strategic Plan.
- Instill a sense of common purpose and shared commitment to the achievement of goals created through shared decision-making processes.
- Communicate effectively with students, parents, faculty, colleagues and the community through a variety of communication methods.
- Ensure that all of the School’s resources are used to serve students and faculty members alike in order to help both to reach their full learning potential.
- Demonstrate the capacity to successfully recruit and retain excellent faculty and staff.
- Assume the responsibility for sound financial management including accurate program budget planning and ongoing fiscal accountability.
- Assume responsibility for the logistics associated with effectively operating the Elementary School to include activities such as building a master class schedule, coordinating program implementation in concert with the Office of Learning and other key stakeholders.
- Participate actively and willingly in committee work specific to program development and decisionmaking.
- Conduct careful reviews of student admission applications in accordance with policies established by the School.
- Implement Board of Trustee policies and other relevant school policies and procedures and comply with these policies and accompanying administrative regulations.
- Seek the involvement of faculty and parents in a wide variety of school activities and actively promote and support the parent volunteer program.
- Model the importance and necessity in attending after school student activity programs and parent events.
- Serve as a contributing member of the school’s senior leadership team (Core Cabinet).
- Represent the school at regional professional association meetings, relative to the role of the Elementary School Principal as needed and/or required.
- Perform other activities as might be required for the general welfare of the School and/or as requested by the Superintendent.
- Challenge and assist our students to become intellectually adept, thoughtful and ethical
contributors to a global society.
- Develop educational policies and objectives to support the implementation of a mission aligned curricular program.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and support a guidance department in providing a robust
college placement program.
- Ensure that all teachers and support staff have a clear understanding of their performance
- Assist faculty and staff towards reaching their full potential through performance assessment and mentoring.
- Demonstrate role-model traits that enable others to recognize the Principal as the leader of the Elementary School.
- Develop the leadership capabilities of teachers so that instructional leadership becomes a shared responsibility.
- Gather validating information and data that help determine whether curriculum and instructional goals and student performance outcomes are being successfully achieved.
- Provide leadership to the process of further improvement of programs across the Elementary school.
- Create an efficient, productive and caring building atmosphere where all students (and staff) have opportunities to be recognized for their best efforts.
- Have a personal commitment to seek constant professional learning and professional growth; to also be a life-long learner.
Desired Personal Characteristics
- Student-centered decision-maker
- Understands and appreciates the importance of diversity
- Demonstrates cultural sensitivity
- Demonstrates integrity in all aspects of life
- Gives evidence of excellent listening skills
- Capable of making and communicating decisions
- Develops and sustains trust amongst all constituents
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent collaborator
- Current North American teacher and principal certification or equivalent
- Master's Degree (administration preferred)
- Five or more years of previous successful teaching and administrative experience
- Demonstrated record of successful leadership, excellent organization and management skills
- Prior experience with and a commitment to sustaining an American curriculum
- Experience with curriculum development processes
- Five or more years of successful Administrative experience in an international setting
- Experience as an educational leader in a standards-based grading and reporting environment
- Experience leading learning programs outside of the school walls (ie. Week long international educational trips)
- Capacity to apply data to further support and improve student learning
- Models and supports a digital learning environment
- Knowledge and experience with strategic planning
- Previous experience with school accreditation protocols
- Demonstrated success with the recruitment, development and retention of an faculty and staff
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is highly competitive and will be dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the
successful candidate. Benefits include housing, health insurance, life insurance, home leave,
shipping-in and shipping-out allowances, retirement contributions and ongoing professional
Application Deadline: August 15, 2019, however the school reserves the right to end the search as soon as the ideal candidate has been identified. Candidates are encouraged to register their interest by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org. ASD will access the profiles of those candidates who are registered and have expressed an interest through the SEARCH associates platform.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.