< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Anne Sweet
Mar 10, 14
Mar 15, 14
BUSAN INTERNATIONAL FOREIGN SCHOOL
BUSAN . KOREA
Elementary School Principal
Effective July 2014
The vision of Busan International Foreign School (BIFS) is to be a leading international school preparing students to become well-educated global citizens. The Busan International Foreign School’s mission is to provide a supportive environment where students can explore and discover who they are, where they belong and who they want to be.
To this end:
We are independent, non-profit and non-denominational with a diverse school community.
- We provide a high quality, relevant curriculum that is continuously assessed, reflected upon and developed.
- We create opportunities for students to maximize their learning potential.
- We foster respect for the plurality of cultures.
- We develop empathy through service to the community.
- We understand that education is the shared responsibility of the wider school community.
Founded in 1983, BIFS, previously known as the International School of Busan (ISB), has a long history of serving the expatriate community in the greater Busan area. In 2010 the school moved to its current location in Gijang, an eastern suburb of Busan and part of the East Busan Tourism Zone. The new campus includes modern sports, technology, art, and music facilities.
Busan is the second largest city in South Korea. Located on the southeastern tip of the Korean peninsula, Busan is home to the country’s most popular beaches and beautiful mountainous landscapes. The expatriate community is growing as Busan is experiencing rapid growth in various industries such as transportation and shipping.
Busan International Foreign School is an IB World School with an authorized Primary Years Programme, candidacy status for the Middle Years Programme and is also authorized for the Diploma Programme for Grades 11 and 12. The BIFS is accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS) and Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). Memberships include East Asia Regional Council of Schools (EARCOS) and Korea Council of Overseas Schools (KORCOS).
The school currently has approximately 500 students, representing well over 40 different nationalities. BIFS offers early years education up to Grade 12. Students at BIFS take an active role in community service through fundraising and volunteer activities. Students also participate in international service trips as well as organizations such as Model United Nations and National Honors Society.
The Busan International Foreign School (BIFS) seeks an experienced and visionary educational leader to be its new Elementary Principal beginning in July of 2014. This is an exceptional opportunity for a forward-thinking internationally minded educational leader with a global perspective.
Organization and Governance
The BIFS is governed by a 10-member volunteer Board of Governors, which is comprised of qualified parents and members of the community. The Board of Governors responsibility is to establish and monitor policies for the school as well as ensure the Mission Statement and Vision remain the primary focus of the school. In 2012 the Board of Governors began the process of developing a five-year Strategic Plan to ensure the continued financial and educational success of BIFS. The five areas being addressed in the Strategic Plan are: Managing Growth, Competition, City Contract, Board Development, and Clarity of Mission.
The Elementary Principal will report directly to the Head of School and will serve as a member of the Senior Administration team.
Reporting to the Head of School, the Elementary Principal will be expected to:
- Celebrate, advance and be loyal to the mission and vision of BIFS
- Demonstrate key attributes in line with the BIFS mission and vision
- Ensure the continued development and improvement of the Elementary School
- Supervise the development and delivery of the School’s curriculum, especially as it applies to the Elementary School
- Assist the Head of School with any personnel matters
- Assist with general administrative matters resulting in the effective operation of the School, especially as they relate to the Elementary School
- Develop, inspire, mentor, supervise and evaluate the Elementary faculty and staff to preserve high quality, consistency and innovation in the delivery of the program
- Be a collaborative and contributing member to the Senior Administration team
- Advanced degree in education with an emphasis on administration, or the equivalent
- A proven track record in educational leadership – demonstrated ability to be an instructional leader as well as an effective manager
- Demonstrated knowledge of current educational practices for elementary school aged students and public relations with parents and the wider school community
- International Baccalaureate experience in an international school and passionate support for the IB philosophy and learner profile
- Experience as an administrator of a WASC and/or CIS accredited school
- Prior experience as an educator
- An overall management style characterized by teambuilding, appropriate transparency, approachability and support balanced by decisiveness and accountability
- Proven ability as an innovative, results-oriented, self-motivated, energetic, creative problem solver
- A proven capacity to communicate orally and in writing to faculty, staff and parents with consistency, clarity and vision
- The ability to multi-task, prioritize and delegate with confidence
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to reach out to many constituencies
- Ability to build relationships and resolve conflict while preserving trust
- Respect for and a keen interest in the local culture with a desire to be a “learner” and an active presence in the community
- The ability to lead and work collaboratively with a talented team of teachers, administrators, and other school personnel
- Evidence of an optimistic “can-do” attitude and the ability to work flexible hours outside the regular school day
- Demonstrated ability to be decisive and to build trust with faculty and administrators
- Experience in developing an outstanding faculty through recruitment, evaluation, and professional development
- Experience with strategic planning, and program development
- Demonstrated personal and professional integrity and a commitment to ethical behavior and leadership
Salary and Benefits
Busan International Foreign School invites applications from qualified candidates excited by its mission, vision and unique opportunities. Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with packages offered by similar international schools regionally and worldwide.
The new Elementary Principal of the Busan International Foreign School will assume responsibility during the month of July, 2014. Interested candidates should send an application at the earliest possible time but no later than 15 March, 2014. (The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received.)Candidates should note that, in the event an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, BIFS reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline mentioned above and to bring the search to an early close. For this reason it is very important that interested candidates apply at the earliest possible time.
Candidates should send the information requested below. It must be submitted exactly in the form and manner requested. Please do not send any information other than that which is specifically requested here.
.A letter of application, no longer than two pages, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in the Elementary Principal position at BIFS.
- A current résumé not to exceed two pages.
- A one-page statement outlining educational philosophy and leadership style.
- A one-page list of references with phone numbers and email addresses.
- A maximum of three letters of reference which may already be in your possession.
Please note that all the above materials must be scanned into a single PDF and sent in the same transmission to all of the e-mail addresses listed below. Also, please note that it is important to limit the size of your single PDF to 5MB.
With a cc: to
For further information about BIFS, please see the school’s website www.bifskorea.org