< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Liza Baker
Nov 7, 13
Dec 10, 13
Escola Americana de Campinas
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
- - effective July 2014 - -
School and Community
The Escola Americana de Campinas is a private coeducational school founded in 1956. The school is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the State Council of Education in São Paulo. A full US college preparatory program and a Brazilian Diploma program are offered. There are approximately 712 students enrolled in pre-school through grade 12. Students are drawn mainly from families in business or professional areas: 12 percent of the student body are US citizens, 75 percent are Brazilian, and 13 percent are of other nationalities. The school is located on a 14-acre grass and tree covered campus in a city of one million people, approximately 100 kilometers from the city of São Paulo. The school year comprises two semesters extending from August to December and from January to June.
What We Do Best
EAC has a small, warm environment and students receive a great deal of individual attention. Because of our size, we are not able to offer our students everything that big schools may, but what we do, we do very well. Our mission is to prepare young people to be healthy individuals, responsible world citizens, competent adults, critical and creative thinkers, healthy individuals, and life-long learners by providing outstanding education through American and Brazilian programs of study in a safe, secure, and caring environment.
The elementary school enrolment for the 2013-2014 school year is 408. Our pre-school consists of 144 students and uses a Montessori based education. Grades 1-5 have an enrolment of 264, three sections for each grade level.
Faculty and Staff
EAC employs 77 faculty members inclusive of 38 teachers and 2 counselors in the elementary school. Thirty-eight percent of the faculty holds a Master's degree or the equivalent. More than thirty-five percent are US or Canadian citizens. The elementary school also employs 19 teaching assistants.
The Elementary Principal is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the pre-school through grade 5, providing the necessary leadership to fulfil our mission and making student learning the highest priority. The principal reports directly to the Superintendent. Responsibilities of the Elementary Principal include the following:
- To ensure that your students achieve the mission and core values of the school.
- To ensure that children learn what they are supposed to learn.
- To ensure that this learning takes place in a positive, caring and learning oriented environment for all concerned.
- To ensure that this is done in an efficient and effective manner with the resources provided.
- Provide the overall leadership for the school in a way that places student and adult learning at the center.
- To provide efficient and effective day-to-day management in all facets of the school operations.
- To pro-actively engage the school community, particularly parents, to create relationships and shared responsibility for student and school success.
- To ensure that systems are in place to effectively link and align curriculum, instruction, assessments, and are continually improved.
- To create and support a learning organization and its culture in order to continually develop our organizational capacity.
- Adapts leadership behavior to the needs of the current situation and is comfortable with dissent.
- Fosters shared beliefs and sense of community and cooperation
- Involves teachers in the design and the implementation of important decisions and policies.
- Is willing to actively challenge the status quo.
- Communicates and operates from strong ideals and beliefs about schooling.
- Has quality contact and interaction with teachers and students.
- Inspires and leads new and challenging innovations.
- Recognizes and celebrates school accomplishments and acknowledges failures.
- Demonstrates an awareness of the personal aspects of teachers and staff.
- Familiar with current US elementary teaching materials and methodologies.
- Is aware of the details and undercurrents in the running of the school and uses this information to address current and potential problems.
- Protects teachers from issues and influences that would detract from their teaching time or focus.
- Establishes a set of standard operating procedures and routines.
- Establishes clear goals and keeps those goals at the forefront of the school’s attention.
- Recognizes and rewards individual accomplishments.
School Community Relationships
- Is an advocate and spokesperson for the school to all stakeholders.
- Establishes strong lines of communication with teachers, students and parents.
Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
- Monitors the effectiveness of school practices and their impact on student learning.
- Is knowledgeable about current curriculum, instruction and assessment practices.
- Is directly involved in the design and implementation of curriculum, instruction and assessment practices.
- Is responsible for the supervision and evaluation of the elementary staff.
Learning Organization and Professional Development
- Provides the staff with materials and professional development necessary for the successful execution of their jobs.
- Ensures the staff is aware of the most current educational theories and practices and makes the discussion of these a regular aspect of the school’s culture.
- Minimum of three years experience as an Elementary Principal or equivalent
- Masters degree in educational administration
- Has at least three years of successful full-time teaching experience at the elementary level, preferably in a multi-cultural setting.
- Speaks Portuguese or is bilingual in a language similar to Portuguese such as Spanish.
- Demonstrates a history of high expectations for academic achievement.
- Demonstrates an ability to work with ESL or limited English proficiency students in the regular classroom
- Familiar with current US elementary teaching materials and methodologies.
- Familiar with duel educational programs for host nationals.
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be competitive and will depend upon the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include tuition at EAC for two dependent children, travel allowance, health insurance, and professional development each year.
Procedure for Filing Application
The Escola Americana de Campinas has appointed Search Associates to act as consultant in the search for an Elementary School Principal, with Dr. Ralph Jahr being the lead consultant. The deadline for application is December 10, 2013. Candidates are asked to submit a letter of interest and the requested materials as early as possible. In the event a truly superior candidate emerges early in the search process, EAC reserves the right to close the selection process at any time. The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Finalists will be selected by the Superintendent and may be brought to Campinas for interviews by the Superintendent, admin team, and members of the Elementary School faculty. The new Elementary School Principal will be selected immediately after the conclusion of the site visits and interviews.
Candidates should send the information listed below as a single pdf file of ~3MB attached to an email:
- A letter of application, no longer than two pages, explaining the strengths of the candidate and why he/she is interested in this particular position.
- A current resume not to exceed two pages.
- A one-page statement of educational and leadership philosophy.
- A one-page list of at least three professional references to include current addresses, phone numbers (business and home) and email addresses.
- A maximum of three letters of reference which may already be in your possession.
Applications should be sent to: email@example.com
Additional information about The Escola Americana de Campinas can be found on the school’s web site at < http://www.eac.com.br>.
Ralph Jahr, Ph.D. Tel: 609-759-0431
Search Associates Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
12 Exeter Ct Skype – ralph.h.jahr
Princeton, NJ 08540 (USA) Web: www.searchassociates.com