< Back to Leadership Vacancies
May 28, 21
Aug 31, 21
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
International School of Beijing is an extraordinary, non-profit school, with a history of excellence spanning almost 40 years. Our Mission, Vision, and Core Values are fulfilled by passionate, highly qualified educators who all want the best for every student, Early Years through grade 12.
Of utmost importance is the school's strong sense of community and vibrant, culturally diverse campus, where learning is engaging for our roughly 1,700 students representing around 50 countries. Research-based programs, high-quality teaching, and outstanding and ever-improving facilities mean students at ISB are being prepared for success in a world that keeps changing at a breathtaking pace.
ISB enjoys a proven track record of excellent learning outcomes, with students attending colleges around the world which are most appropriate for them. Our commitment to realizing students' potential is built around nurturing the intellectual, physical, social and emotional development of each child. ISB programs equip students to be productive, healthy, and fulfilled young adults, whatever future they choose.
In our Elementary School, we care about students' growth as learners and as individuals who contribute to their community. We believe that young people are naturally curious, and we recognize each student as a unique individual with the potential to achieve. Our students are empowered to solve problems, question the world around them, and develop and test hypotheses in a collaborative, supportive environment.
ISB’s Whole Child approach gives the same priority to our young learners’ health and character as it does to their academic performance. Our students’ well-being is a cornerstone to their success and happiness. As they learn to work together, they grow to understand different perspectives and strengthen their social skills. We nurture children who develop independence and the ability to make positive, healthy choices. Importantly, we partner with parents to ensure that school is fun, motivating, and a place where every child can turn to a trusted adult for help and support.
ABOUT OUR FACILTIES
ISB is conveniently located among one of Beijing's most popular expat neighborhoods in the city's northeast Shunyi District. Parks, international medical clinics, and supermarkets stocked with imported groceries are all just a short stroll away. While the local area has developed considerably since ISB established its campus in Shunyi more than a decade ago, it still retains its quaint charm that makes it a great place to live for singles, couples, and families.
ISB has state of the art, sustainable, award winning facilities. Our 32-acre campus, close to popular expat residential compounds, plays host to superior facilities:
- 2 purpose-built sports domes providing over 8,500 m2 of space
- A pharmaceutical-grade (H-14) air filtration system ensures exceptionally high air quality in all our indoor areas, averaging an AQI level of 1 throughout the school
- 665-seat sports stadium, including running track and rugby pitch
- 12 state-of-the-art science labs
- 4 fully equipped gyms (one with a climbing wall)
- Flexible learning spaces, including design labs and 'collaboratories.'
- 2 library-media centers with more than 82,000 volumes and over 160 magazine subscriptions
- Our performing arts wing consists of a 600-seat theater, an elementary school theater Black Box theater, rehearsal spaces, recording studio, dance studios, and studio stage
WORKING AT ISB
ISB is a progressive, dynamic workplace where students come first and where teachers and support staff are highly valued for the gifts and talents they bring to these young learners. The school offers many opportunities for professional growth, both on campus and with access to workshops and conferences across the globe.
Faculty and support staff (totaling more than 360) represent numerous nationalities, including many from Australia, Canada, China, France, India, the Philippines, the U.K., and the U.S.
At ISB, you will be part of a great team of professionals providing a learning culture which enhances the students’ academic abilities through serving their social-emotional needs and physical health. We have an unwavering commitment to safeguarding children, providing a safe place to learn and play, surrounded by a team of adults who want only the best for each child. Working at ISB is rewarding (in both a professional and financial sense) and because we are all working towards a common goal – to make ISB the best international school in the world.
Beijing is undergoing an economic, cultural, and artistic renaissance. Only by living in arguably the world’s most important city and serving in this remarkable school will you fully understand and appreciate the gifts that Beijing and China can give.
The principles of trust, empathy, and professionalism allow everyone to thrive in their own way at ISB.
JOIN OUR TEAM
Job Goals/Purpose: The Elementary School Principal serves in all matters as the educational leader of the Elementary School. The Principal ensures that all programs and practices of faculty and staff support the school’s mission and vision and that is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all students irrespective of race, ability, religion, gender or culture, on a day-to-day basis, are provided with an excellent educational program.
- Possess appropriate degrees (minimum Master’s level or equivalent) plus current certification in the area of Elementary School Administration
- Demonstrated success in a multi-cultural environment, with overseas experience highly desirable
- Strong strategic and general planning skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of the curriculum development process including student and program assessment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong commitment to, and proven record of, fostering community involvement and support
- Experience using data to drive student outcomes
- Expertise in reading and mathematics curriculum selection
- Excellent organizational and managerial skills including the ability to motivate and lead a diverse team
- Ability to both delegate and effectively monitor overall operations
- Ability to successfully lead the faculty evaluation and professional growth process
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Elementary School Principal will be responsible for the following areas under the specific direction of the Head of School.
- Provide principled, effective educational leadership to the Elementary School
- Develop collaboration and support of the major stakeholders of the school in the major decisions affecting the Elementary School
- Ensure that all teachers and support staff have a clear understanding of their performance expectations
- Establish a willingness to be a mentor to all faculty as well as encouraging their professional growth and career advancement
- Role model traits that enable others to recognize the principal as an ethical leader of leaders
- Communicate effectively with students, faculty, staff, parents, colleagues, and in the community
- Seek the involvement of faculty and parents in a wide variety of school activities and programs
- Develop the leadership capabilities of teachers so that instructional leadership becomes a shared responsibility
- Support curriculum development and assessment that drives strong student outcomes for all learners
- Use data to improve student learning
- Lead the analysis of information that helps determine whether curriculum and instructional goals and student performance outcomes are being met
- Create an efficient, productive and caring atmosphere where all students and faculty have an opportunity to be recognized for their best efforts
- Ensure that all the school's resources are identified and being used to serve students and faculty members alike; help both reach their full performance potential
- Assume responsibility for sound financial management including accurate program budget planning and fiscal accountability
- Demonstrate the willingness to seek constant professional learning and professional growth as a committed life-long learner
- Be an active participant and supporter of the after-school student activity programs and parent events
- Establish annual goals and work plans that are consistent with the school's Strategic Plan and mission
- Serve as a contributing member to the school's senior management team
- Perform such other duties and responsibilities as delegated by the Head of School
Candidates should submit the following to ISB Human Resources Director at email@example.com :
- Brief letter of application stating reason for interest in the position
- A current CV/ resume not to exceed two pages
- One page statement of philosophy of education and educational leadership
- List of four referees, including one from a current supervisor
August 31, 2021 is the deadline for applications. Candidates should note that in the event an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, ISB reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline. For this reason, it is very important that interested candidates apply as soon as possible.
Candidates wishing to learn more about ISB may visit https://www.isb.bj.edu.cn/ .