< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Mar 16, 23
Apr 17, 23
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
SEOUL INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
REPUBLIC OF KOREA (South Korea)
Deadline: April 17, 2023 Start Date: August 01, 2023
Seoul International School was created in 1973 for the purpose of providing a high-quality western style education for children of the expatriate and local community. It has grown over the years to a school of currently over 830 students, more than 300 of them in the elementary school and with a total school faculty of 104 highly qualified and inspirational teachers.
SIS is proud of its track record regarding the quality of its academic programs, as well as its incredible emphasis on the performing and visual arts. The focus of the school is to develop students’ intellectual, creative, moral and emotional abilities in cooperation with their parents and community members. The Elementary School is known as a caring community of learners, focused on success in working together while having fun with learning.
Seoul International School provides a safe and secure learning environment for children in pre-kindergarten through grade 12. Significant and on-going renovations allow us to keep pace with the ever-changing needs of our instructional programs. The most significant recent project has been the completion of new campus spaces dedicated to learning, activities, athletics and outdoor activity. There are also recent extensive modernizations to classrooms and resources for innovative learning.
Information technology infrastructure within the school is constantly being upgraded. All buildings have wireless access and access points are spread throughout the facility. Seoul has access to some of the highest speed internet capacity in the world and this is leveraged for instructional capabilities campus wide. There are two spacious, well-resourced libraries, one completely renovated in 2020 and one which was renovated in the elementary school which opened in October of 2022. There are well-equipped science laboratories which are improved and updated each year. The school has a one-to-one Apple laptop program, which is fully supported by the infrastructure. A dedicated Apple technician serves on the IT staff. Students in the elementary school use both Macbooks and iPads.
Our 350-seat school auditorium is used for school assemblies, club activities, teacher and parent functions, fine arts productions, and concerts, and is fully equipped with upgraded lighting and sound systems. Music students are offered a range of facilities from band and choir rooms to soundproof practice rooms. A recording studio was installed for 2022.
Athletics facilities three renovated gymnasiums, nearby off-site tennis courts, a five-lane indoor 25-meter heated swimming pool, soccer field, and multiple weight, fitness and gymnastics rooms.
Elementary students have access to a wide range of modern outdoor play areas for recess, lunch and after school activities. The school cafeteria, offering nutritious hot meals or lighter sandwiches daily allows students to eat in the company of friends and peers. The newly renovated cafeteria, opened in November of 2022, offers healthy eating options for the entire school.
The Elementary School
Seoul International School (SIS) is a leading international school located in South Korea. The school's Elementary School Program is known for its excellence in providing quality education to its students. The students themselves are known for their compassionate approach to learning and to each other as classmates. The program aims to inspire students to become lifelong learners, develop critical thinking skills, and prepare them for the challenges of the 21st century.
One of the key assets of the Elementary School Program at SIS is the dedicated and committed teachers. The faculty is composed of highly qualified and experienced teachers who are motivated to provide a stimulating and challenging learning environment. The teachers practice and perfect innovative teaching strategies to engage students and promote a love of learning. They encourage students to take ownership of their learning, ask questions, and pursue their interests. The teachers also provide personalized attention to each student, ensuring that they receive the support they need to succeed. The students at the Elementary School Program at SIS are wonderful. They come from diverse backgrounds and cultures, creating a vibrant and dynamic community. Although many of the students are from our local community, most of them have lived overseas or recently returned to South Korea from places abroad. The students are enthusiastic and eager to learn, and they actively participate in class discussions and activities. They are also respectful of each other and the teachers, creating a positive and inclusive learning environment.
The facilities at the Elementary School Program at SIS are state-of-the-art. The classrooms are equipped with the latest technology and resources to support teaching and learning. The school has a well-stocked, brand-new library, art and music rooms, and multiple, updated and safe outdoor play areas. The facilities are designed to provide a safe and nurturing environment for students to learn and grow. The educational programs at the Elementary School Program at SIS are designed to foster a love of learning. The school offers a comprehensive curriculum that covers all the core subjects, including English, math, science, social studies, and world languages. The curriculum is designed to meet the needs of each student, and the teachers use a variety of teaching strategies and methods to cater to different learning styles. The school also offers a range of extracurricular activities, including sports, music, drama, and art, providing students with opportunities to explore their interests and develop new skills.
The Elementary School Program at SIS is successful because of its focus on the whole child. The school aims to develop the intellectual, social, emotional, and physical aspects of each student. The teachers work closely with parents to ensure that each child receives the support they need to succeed. The school also promotes a strong sense of community, encouraging students to respect and value each other's differences.
The Elementary School Program at SIS is considered one of the best in South Korea, and it continues to attract students from all over the world. The school’s enrollment is growing, the area around the school is quickly being developed as the city of Seoul grows in our direction.
Seoul International School is seeking an outstanding experienced educational leader who will lead the Elementary School in achieving the next level of excellence, embrace the school’s mission and core values, and maintain a focus on the school’s academic and co-curricular programs. The ideal candidate will have a proven record as a dynamic, approachable, student-centered leader with excellent communication and interpersonal skills and will further enhance the outstanding programs that the elementary school enjoys.
The duties and responsibilities include:
- Demonstrate traits that enable others to recognize the principal as a divisional educational leader and instructional coach.
- Ensure that all teachers and support staff have a clear understanding of their performance expectations and systems of evaluation.
- Lead the supervision and evaluation of the professional staff with the assistance of the ES/MS Assistant Principal.
- Oversee individual and divisional professional development and coordinate such efforts in conjunction with the Head of School, other Principals, and under the direction of the Director for Curriculum and Professional Development.
Instruction and Curriculum:
- Have deep understanding and extensive working knowledge of the early years and elementary programs.
- Take responsibility to oversee the divisional curricular programs and policies with the curriculum leader, administration, and faculty.
- Continuously examine and assess the instructional program, in conjunction with the faculty, administrative team, grade level leaders, and the curriculum coordinator, to ensure the appropriateness of the curriculum, standards and benchmarks, and assessment measures for the student body.
- Observe classes, ensuring that effective teaching methods consistent with evidence-based best practices are utilized by the professional staff and that formative learning drives instruction and learning goals.
- Develop the leadership capabilities of teachers.
- Communicate effectively with students, faculty, parents, colleagues, and the broader community.
- Exhibit effective listening skills.
- Seek faculty, student, and parent input, when appropriate, in making decisions.
- Seek the involvement of faculty, students, and parents in a wide variety of school activities.
- Oversee the school ‘boosters’ sports, activities, curricular and co-curricular programs and guidelines.
- Be an active participant and supporter of the after-school student activity programs and parent events with high visibility.
- Create an efficient, productive, professional, and caring atmosphere where all students and faculty have the opportunity to be recognized for their best efforts.
- Assume responsibility for accurate program budget planning and fiscal accountability.
- Demonstrate the willingness to seek constant professional learning and professional growth as a committed life-long learner.
- Assist with the recruitment, interviewing, and selection of Elementary School faculty and staff.
- Provide input to the Head of School for the selection of overseas hire candidates.
- Establish annual goals and work plans that are consistent with the school's goals and program outcomes.
- Serve as a contributing member to the school's administrative team.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as delegated by the Head of School.
The successful candidate will:
- Have successful teaching experience at the Elementary or Middle School level.
- Have extensive experience with the Elementary Programs and experience in high-performing elementary schools.
- Possess appropriate degrees and have certification in the area of Elementary School Administration.
- Have at least five years of full-time experience as a School Administrator.
- Have overseas international school experience and demonstrated success in a multicultural school environment with the ability to foster trust in leadership.
- Personal Integrity and Ethics
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication (listening, written and oral) skills as well as strong analytical, decision-making, and planning skills.
- Be student-centered, open, approachable, positive, and of strong moral character.
- Work with the curriculum director in leading the curriculum development process.
- Commit to and foster community involvement and support for students, programs, and committees.
- Have demonstrated excellent organizational and managerial skills and the ability to work collaboratively with faculty and the administrative team to ensure the mission and vision of SIS
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary is highly competitive with other Tier 1 international schools in Asia and will be dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
- All Taxes are paid by the school.
- Apartment Housing provided, walking distance to school.
- Use of School Vehicle
- 401K Plan for eligible employees
- Relocation Allowance
- Professional Development Allowance
- Lunch Benefit
- Full, Worldwide Health insurance plan offered through TIE Care
- Life Insurance
- Resident Permit/Visas, provided by school.
- Summer Travel Allowance
- Tuition Waiver for eligible children.
Details of process:
The application deadline is April 17, 2023, with interviews scheduled as finalist lists are generated. The appointment of the new Elementary School Principal will follow the completion of the interview process. Interested candidates should apply as soon as possible. Screening will start as soon as applications are received. Please note that in the event that a truly superior candidate emerges early in the search process, SIS reserves the right to accelerate the search and make an earlier appointment. For this reason, it is important for interested candidates to apply in a timely manner.
Interested candidates should apply using one PDF including the following elements:
- A letter of application, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in the Elementary School Principal position at the Seoul International School.
- A current résumé not to exceed two pages, addressing experiences and qualifications.
- A less-than one-page statement of educational philosophy.
- At least four references with contact information and e-mail addresses. (At least two of the referees must have directly supervised the applicant. The other referees may be peers or educators that the applicant has supervised.)
Applications should be sent to the Head of School Dr. Jim Gerhard at email@example.com
Candidates wishing to learn more about Seoul International School should visit the school website at www.siskorea.org
Child Safeguarding Statement
Seoul International School is committed to rigorously safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all who work and learn with our teachers, students, and community. All applicants to the school must be willing to undergo rigorous child protection screening, including checks with past employers, national database checks such as with the FBI, and local police checks in the country of South Korea.
We reserve the right to contact past employers not listed in the candidate’s application.