< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Nov 7, 22
Dec 1, 22
The American School of Kuwait (ASK)
Elementary School Principal Job Description
The American School of Kuwait Seeks an Elementary School Principal
for the 2023-2024 School Year
Deadline: December 1, 2022
Reporting to: Superintendent
Accountable to: Superintendent
Established in 1964, The American School of Kuwait (ASK) is a dynamic learning community serving just over 1800 students PK-12 from diverse backgrounds.
The ASK Mission:
The American School of Kuwait inspires life-long learners empowered to excel in American Higher Education and the global community as innovative, compassionate citizens.
The ASK Beliefs:
We believe that:
A partnership among families, teachers, and students is essential for successful learning.
Successful students require a safe, supportive, and rigorous learning environment.
Learning empowers the individual by expanding opportunities as global citizens.
Students’ active engagement and critical reflection in their own learning is a key to their ongoing success.
Diversity and inclusiveness are essential within our school community.
An enriching school experience encourages independent thinking, fosters self-esteem, and builds self-confidence.
The American School of Kuwait is also fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA), is affiliated with College Board as an AP school, and is a member in good standing with the Near East South Asia Council of Overseas Schools.
ASK’s continuing development presents an exciting opportunity for a dynamic leader who is seeking to progress further within a vibrant school culture. The Elementary School Principal will serve as a member of the school’s Senior Leadership Team together with the Elementary School Principal, Secondary School Principal, Athletic Director, Director of Admissions, and School Superintendent. ASK is seeking an experienced and well-qualified pedagogical leader with a successful track record as a skilled educator, strategic thinker and communicator. We require a principal able to co-design a vision for learning in the Elementary School, who can inspire and support staff, serve as a student advocate, and build trust with staff and parents. The initial contract period is 2 years.
• A minimum of two years’ experience in a senior leadership position.
• Academic qualifications at Masters level.
• A proven ability, understanding and commitment to school improvement and change management.
• Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
• An excellent listener and observer, who seeks to locate and understand patterns in the community.
• A high degree of intercultural competence, flexibility and resourcefulness relevant in the context of a culturally-diverse school.
• Advocate for student safeguarding, wellbeing, and diversity, equity, inclusion and justice.
• Working proficiency in the English language.
• An ability to navigate a dynamic and complex school environment with curiosity.
• Sense of humor and ability to engage in joyful practice.
Key Strategic Issues:
The Principal will:
• Sustain and develop the school’s academic performance and focus on student wellbeing.
• Facilitate organizational self-reflection for MSA accreditation processes.
• Enhance policies, structures, and practices to build an inclusive school.
• Develop meaningful opportunities for student leadership, service learning, eco-literacy/climate change education, and teaching for diversity, equity, inclusion and justice.
1. Student Learning & Program Development:
• Provide visionary leadership for the Elementary School in alignment with the ASK guiding statements.
• Develop the leadership capacity of the Elementary School and a culture of collaboration centered on student learning and wellbeing.
• With the Elementary School Leadership Team, oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the school’s curricular programs.
• Develop a master schedule, co-curricular activity program, and Elementary School events calendar to promote personalized learning.
• Collaborate with Assistant Principals to monitor, evaluate and review assessment strategies and implement the school’s assessment and reporting guidelines.
• Oversee the planning, staffing and evaluation of off-campus trips to support experiential learning and service learning.
• Lead the Elementary School Student Support Team with the Counselors and Academic Support Coordinator.
• Use learning data to identify programmatic strengths and next steps for development, including in the area of student wellbeing.
• Provide leadership in school accreditation cycles (MSA).
2. Staff Partnerships & Professional Learning:
• In collaboration with the Senior Leadership Team, develop a staffing matrix to align human resources to learning needs.
• In collaboration with the Superintendent, participate in anti-bias recruitment of faculty and staff.
• Assist in the preparation and implementation of the orientation program for new and returning faculty.
• Oversee the organization of teacher substitution.
• Appraise teaching faculty and non-teaching staff in the Elementary School through the development and review of annual professional goals.
• Organize and conduct faculty meetings based on school strategic goals.
• Strategically plan the professional learning of faculty and staff based on school strategic goals.
• Regular review and update of policies and practices relevant to the Elementary School.
• Support the continued development of restorative practices between faculty and/or staff members.
3. Student Partnerships:
• Build relationships with students and a trusting, welcoming school atmosphere.
• Create and review opportunities for student leadership.
• Devise ways to promote and integrate student voice into school development.
• Gather regular informal and formal data on student wellbeing to support school development.
• Document, address, and review child safeguarding cases as part of the school’s Child Safeguarding team.
• Oversee the admission process of new students, including the recommendation of entry and class placement based on school records, screening tests, and reports.
• Support Elementary School faculty in implementing restorative practices, classroom management, and the development of positive behaviors and routines.
4. Parent/Community Partnerships:
• Maintain productive, on-going communication and partnership with parents of diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds.
• Consult and gather feedback from families to influence school development.
• Lead and/or coordinate school events e.g. Assemblies, Back-to-School Evening.
• Use regular formal and informal written communication strategies to connect with the community.
5. Other Leadership Responsibilities:
• Assume leadership responsibility of the school in instances of absence of the Superintendent.
• Coordinate the academic needs in coordination with the school business manager.
• Continue to develop and implement our Child Safeguarding policy and practices to ensure a safe and secure campus environment.
Salary and Benefits:
ASK offers a comprehensive and generous remuneration package commensurate with the challenges of the position. This includes
• A competitive salary
• Return airfares at the start and end of each school year
• Arrival allowance
• Baggage Allowance
• Free tuition for dependent children
• Professional Development allowance
• International medical insurance
• Furnished living quarters
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of this position
Please include the items below in PDF format:
A letter of interest which includes the strengths the candidate feels qualify him/her for consideration for this specific leadership position.
Updated resume/CV of no more than two pages.
A list of at least three professional referees. The school’s search committee will advise semi-finalist candidates before contacting any referees.
ASK reserves the right to close the application period at any time.
Final closing date: December 1, 2022
Applications to email@example.com