< Back to Leadership Vacancies
ACAMIS (China/Hong Kong)
Aug 1, 2023
Nov 1, 2023
ASSOCIATION OF CHINA AND MONGOLIA INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS
ACAMIS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
The ACAMIS Executive Director (E.D.) will be stepping down on July 31, 2024, after nine years in that role and five prior years as a Board Member. The Association of China and Mongolia International Schools is therefore seeking highly qualified candidates for the Position of Executive Director with a starting date of August 1, 2024.
ACAMIS is registered in Hong Kong as a Not-For-Profit Society. Its member schools are located in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macao and Mongolia. ACAMIS was founded by seven Heads of School in the year 2000, initially to connect Heads of School in developing China and to provide post-season regional sports tournaments and academic and cultural enrichment activities. Since then, the organization has grown to over 80 international school members, offering 14 post seasonal sports as well as other student academic enrichment activities, service learning grants, and professional development opportunities for staff with 5 major conferences and about 12 workshops annually. ACAMIS members consist of nearly 63,000 students and over 8000 teachers. The purposes of ACAMIS are to:
- Broaden the learning opportunities for students of all ACAMIS member schools in a total program of education, especially in sports competitions and arts and culture;
- Advance the professional development of staff of member schools;
- Facilitate communication and cooperative action among member schools;
- Promote understanding and international friendship through the activities of member schools;
- Cooperate with other organisations and individuals pursuing similar purposes as ACAMIS.
- More information is available on the ACAMIS website at www.acamis.org
The ACAMIS Executive Director (E.D.) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for ACAMIS staff, programs, budget, expansion, and execution of its purpose. The E.D. works closely with, but is not a member of, the ACAMIS Board of Directors which meets three times per year and communicates through periodic updates that keep the Board informed. The E.D. role can be full or part-time through negotiation. The successful candidate is not currently expected to reside in HK, but is, in any case, required to travel to China a minimum of three times per year for 3-5 weeks in order to fulfill the job responsibilities. The Board conducts an annual review of the E.D. based on feedback, job description, annual goals, personal goals and self-reflections. While seeking a long-term E.D., contracts are usually issued in 2-3 year segments.
Responsibilities: (a complete job description is available upon request)
- Leads and supervises the ACAMIS Executive Office
- Communications and Public Relations
- Conference Preparations
- Assists the Board
- Government Relations
- Strategic and Forward Planning
- Represents ACAMIS at major conferences and liaises with other organizations that will benefit ACAMIS such as:
- Academic and Cultural Enrichment (ACE) and Sports
The Executive Director must be thoroughly committed to the ACAMIS purpose. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- Advanced degree, minimum an MS or MA with at least 10 years of senior management experience, preferably as a head of school
- Track record of effectively leading an international organization; success with a performance- and outcomes-based organization and staff
- Awareness of Chinese culture and history and the realities of working in the Chinese context from previous residence in the ACAMIS region
- Ability to set itineraries, make travel arrangements, and to travel alone across China
- Ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- Past success working with a Board of Trustees with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships.
- Strong marketing and public relations ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Ability to work effectively as an independent consultant to produce the wide range of ACAMIS annual events and activities
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed professional.
Compensation and Transition
A salary and benefits package will be available based on circumstances and may be negotiated with the successful candidate. An appropriate transition with the outgoing ED is possible.
Expressions of interest/applications are to be submitted by the 1 November 2023 submission deadline, and should include:
- an application letter outlining how their experience fits the criteria above
- a current resume
- email addresses and telephone numbers of at least three current referees
Applications should be sent to:
Mr Steve Moody, President, ACAMIS
Detailed Job Description
To view a more detailed description of the position, please go to the following link on the ACAMIS website: https://www.acamis.org/about-us/board-and-executive-office