< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Jun 21, 19
Sep 1, 19
POSITION: Executive Director of Innovation & Educational Technology
The International Community School of Addis Ababa is seeking an exemplary, experienced educational leader in Innovation & Educational Technology starting July 2020. The Executive Director of Innovation & Educational Technology is a key member of the school’s collaborative leadership team and contribute towards ensuring a safe, collaborative learning environment; facilitate and support the school community towards achievement of the school’s mission, vision, and strategic objectives.
ICS ADDIS MISSION
We nurture the talents, character and intellect of all learners, challenging them to be a positive influence and empowering them to excel in their world.
DEFINITION OF LEARNING
Learning is an ongoing process in which learners acquire, develop and apply knowledge, skills, and dispositions essential to thrive in, and contribute to, an ever-changing world.
The International Community School of Addis Ababa is a premier early childhood through grade 12 school offering a holistic, vigorous and inclusive program. ICS Addis offers the International Baccalaureate Diploma and Primary Years programs, accredited in the United States, and serves a diverse, multicultural student body on a beautiful, well-equipped campus. We are a private, not-for-profit day school serving the families of the diplomatic, aid and multinational business communities in Ethiopia. Schoolwide, there are 950+ students enrolled from Early childhood through grade 12. profiles of the elementary school and our other programs can be found on the ICS Addis website.
The school is located on an attractive 15-acre campus in the Old Airport suburb at the southern side of Addis Ababa. Descriptions and photos of our facilities and plans for additional facilities are available on the ICS Addis website.
A comprehensive job description for Executive Director of Innovation & Educational Technology is downloadable here
- Masters degree in Education, Educational Leadership, Educational Technology, Educational Literacy Leadership
- 5 years proven successful experience in educational leadership roles.
- At least 5 years experience as a classroom teacher
- Knowledge of school wide best practices and programs including PLCs, RtI, Inclusive and Hub model classrooms.
- Knowledge of current technology and platforms used within the school; PowerSchool, Atlas, GSuite, NoodleTools, SeeSaw, etc
- Extensive knowledge of technology uses in educational/instructional settings, technology hardware and network operations
- A current, active online presence and an extended professional learning network (PLN), with a deep understanding and competency of social media in various forms which include but not limited to; Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin, Snapchat, (et al)
- Knowledgeable and experienced in online communication and dissemination via Skype, Zoom, WhatsApp, Google Hangouts, Google Duo, Viber, Telegram, Soundcloud, (et al)
- Knowledge, experience and understanding of online learning platforms; Pamoja, D2L, TUTORROOM, Coursera, EdX
- Demonstrated success working within a diverse workforce with multiple constituencies
- The Head of School may consider alternate relevant experiences
DESIRED ABILITIES & SKILLS
- A clear understanding of ICS’ mission and vision
- A deep passion and vision for the “school and student of tomorrow”.
- Firmly rooted in best practices for the school of today
- Possesses experience/understanding of ‘personalized learning’ and embodies the ethos of supporting learning through personalized experiences both with students and teachers
- Highly self motivated
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate and present effectively, orally, in writing, both interpersonally and remotely to a range of differing audiences and for multiple purposes
- Evidences strong collaboration skills and cultural proficiency among many stakeholders
- Ability to attend senior leadership meetings while communicating clearly, accurately and sometimes remotely.
- Demonstrates successful professional learning design and facilitation skills in order to gain buy in and create training sessions to encourage quick and seamless transitions for teachers who may or may not be technologically inclined.
- Possesses successful record of implementing new technologies and/or increasing staff capacity with current adopted technology.
- Evidence of strong organization and project management skills, with the ability to prioritize multiple projects continuously and effectively both on a team and independently.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively research, analyze data and bridge technological gaps to encourage school wide advancements.
- Create and attain relationships and partnerships globally with educational innovators world wide for the benefit of creating the learner of tomorrow and global citizen.
- Is researched and results based while being in the field and able to communicate results and recommendations in person and remotely
- Ability to create and deliver online tools useful for teachers to implement efficient curriculum and assessment practices
- Willing to take calculated risks and think ‘out of the box’ while considering the impact on all school members and stakeholders
- Ability to take feedback on desired outcomes and while challenging current practice to enhance student learning
- The successful candidate will:
- Model the IB Learner Profile professionally and personally
- Be an optimist with a good sense of humor, compassion, resilience and flexibility
- Collaborate, support, empower and engage with administrative colleagues, school staff and other community members
- Work skillfully and sensitively with people from a wide variety of cultures and display a commitment to international mindedness
CONTRACT AND COMPENSATION
The initial contract will be for three years (July 2020–June 2023). Our administrator salary and benefits package is competitive internationally and will be commensurate to the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Addis Ababa enjoys a relatively low cost of living, and there are no local taxes on salary or benefits. In addition to a base salary that allows considerable discretionary income, we provide furnished housing, an overseas-hire allowance (15%), matching retirement (10%), local utilities allowance, generous professional learning opportunities, a laptop reimbursement benefit, a school vehicle with a fuel allowance for personal and professional use, international family health insurance with vision and dental benefits, disability and life insurance, annual home leave, shipping/settling-in allowance, and free tuition for school age dependents. There are limited employment opportunities within Addis Ababa for a non-teaching spouse.
The administrator’s contract is for 207 days and shall be entitled holidays established annually as holidays for the school less 15 days where s/he is expected to be on duty. Other types of leave include professional leave (usually for conferences or recruiting), sick leave, bereavement leave, etc.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified candidates should complete the online application form on our website portal Apply to ICS and attach a single PDF file no later than Sunday 1 September 2019. Do not apply directly to the Head of School. Administrative dossiers with ISS, CIS, or Search Associates are helpful but will not substitute for a direct application to ICS Addis.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Questions should be addressed to email@example.com.
As part of the online application, please upload a single PDF packet which includes the following:
- A letter of interest explaining your strengths and why you think you are a good match for the position and our school.
- A current résumé.
- A list of at least four recent referees should be submitted. Contact information should include name, position, current email address, Skype address, mobile/office numbers and current (anticipated) time zone. Your referees should include your current supervisor and may include one administrative colleague.
- Open letters of reference from recent supervisors or Board members are welcome and should be included in the single PDF.
ICS Addis will respond briefly to all applications received via this portal. Highly qualified candidates may be interviewed as applications are received. ICS reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline if an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process. ICS expects to complete this hiring process by November 2019.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.