< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Head of College Preparation and Career Counseling East Africa
The Pharo Foundation (Kenya)
Mar 26, 21
Apr 23, 21
Head of College Preparation and Career Counselling- East Africa
The Pharo Foundation (“the Foundation”) is a privately funded entrepreneurial organisation that runs philanthropic programmes as well as for-profit Pharo Ventures. The Vision of the Foundation is an economically vibrant and inclusive Africa. The Mission is to achieve the Vision by investing in the human and physical capital of Africa, with a strong focus on job creation.
Established in 2011 as a UK based non-profit, the Foundation has since made a strategic shift to directly design and implement its own programmes to ensure greater engagement with communities, better results and increased accountability. The Foundation has carried out numerous projects in East Africa, with a focus on Ethiopia and Somaliland, is now setting up operations in Rwanda, and has plans for further expansion in Uganda. The key strategic pillars for the philanthropic side of the Foundation are education, health, water and agriculture. At the end of 2019, the Foundation also started its Pharo Ventures franchise to prioritise sectors where the Foundation believes a real impact can be made by establishing self- sustaining businesses, which focus on job and economic value creation.
Headquartered in London, the Foundation has an operational head office in Nairobi, Kenya with country offices in Ethiopia (Addis Ababa and Assosa) and Somaliland (Hargeisa) and Rwanda (Kigali).
The Foundation aims to provide the highest quality education to children and young adults across East Africa and is now actively looking for a driven and passionate individual who wants to make real change in the education There are currently 15 schools spread across Somaliland, Ethiopia and Rwanda, with upcoming schools in Uganda and Kenya. The Foundation seeks to educate over 6,000 students, spread over 7 countries in East Africa over the next five years. Our model seeks to educate children in low resource settings where the greatest impact shall be realized.
The Head of College Preparation and Career Counselling- East Africa is a senior position -- that will be entrusted with the overall responsibility of developing and managing -career coaching, college preparation, university placements, scholarships and mentoring programs across the Pharo Schools in East Africa and in so doing equipping students -with the required skills to succeed in their careers.
This is a high level, well-remunerated role that will give the right candidate an excellent mix of challenge and fulfilment. The position is based in Nairobi and will report to the Director of Academics
Role: Head of College Preparation and Career Counselling East Africa, based in Nairobi
Reporting to: Director of Academics, East Africa based in Nairobi
Functional Relationships: Director of Academics (Nairobi), Heads of Education, School Principals, Teaching and Counselling staff, and Country Heads of Programmes.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
1. Career Strategy and Planning
- Develop and implement an all-encompassing, multi-country, multi-school college preparation and career counselling strategy with modern methods of career counselling mentoring and preparation.
- Oversee the development of Career Services program across Pharo Schools.
- Develop appropriate assessments, interventions and tools required to assist students in their long-term career aspirations.
- Create and implement a parental engagement strategy to ensure successful college preparation and career counselling.
2. Personal Career Mentoring
- Conduct student focused, impartial, personal career guidance interviews with students, which challenge and support them to make informed, realistic and adaptable career decisions based on self and opportunity awareness, personal motivation whilst broadening their career aspirations.
- Help students craft a long-term plan for reaching their career objectives and working with them to resolve challenges that could undermine their personal confidence.
- Counsel individual students, guiding them through the development of both hard and soft skills.
- Guide students in determining their interests and abilities using a wide range of methods, such as aptitude assessments, interviews and planning material.
- Analyse, interpret career assessment results, and incorporate these in regular coaching sessions.
- Generate and maintain students’ records electronically in support of personal guidance interviews, including a summary of agreed actions/action plan.
- Collaborate with the Pharo Principals to foster equal opportunities practices and oversee the development of students’ associations.
- Working with the Pharo Schools Principals, evaluate the progress of students and reinforce the sense of accomplishment.
3. University Placement
- Prepare students by overseeing guided instruction on areas such as: planning for college and careers after graduation.
- Provide students with insight on useful coursework and degree programs that will support their career aspirations.
- Oversee Pharo Schools’ workshops on self-directed search strategies including writing resumes and cover letters, university placement letters, career development resources, researching undergraduate programs and more.
- Lead in organising job fairs, career awareness programs and other career specific workshops and events in collaboration with local and international universities.
- Connect students to additional resources such as financial aid/scholarships, vocational training, extensive counselling and therapy services and other academic assistance where needed.
- Create a worldwide partner network of Colleges, Universities and other Tertiary Institutions for the benefit of students across Pharo Schools.
- Create and implement scholarships counselling and preparation program for Pharo eligible students across East Africa. Such program shall include participation of students, parents and target colleges.
- Create best practices within the scholarship program
- Lead scholarship application, review and award process
- Create Scholarship Policy for tertiary education
- Work directly with students and parents in scholarship application
- Coordinate meetings on scholarships
- Coordinate communication between students and scholarship awarding organisations.
5. Internships, Job Placements and Work Experience
- Responsible for designing and implementing the job placement program for students in college preparation years.
- Research, evaluate and maintain online resources for a variety of career issues, academic majors and career fields.
- Educate students/alumni on job search skills and industry trends in order to get them prepared for internship/employment.
- Develop outreach programs to promote career advertisement services among students/alumni.
- Advise students/alumni on career development and prospects after university graduation.
- Organise and find internship placements for students.
- Design and implement programs that bring Pharo Schools alumni back to Africa and help find them attractive employment opportunities
- Engage students/alumni in use of library and on-line resources for researching employers and current employment opportunities.
6. Stakeholder Relationships
- Ensure good working relationships with cooperation and support from universities, parents, alumni and the larger community.
- Collaborate with faculty, staff and other student services division to help achieve students’ career goals and contribute to their long-term planning.
- Represent the Foundation in educational forums, industry conferences and other networking events.
- Plan and publicise the career services centre’s programs and events such as workshops and orientation sessions.
- The ideal person should have a Bachelors’ Degree, Master’s degree or extensive training in Career Counselling, Career Education, College Student Affairs, Social Development or related field.
- S/He must possess a minimum of eight (8) years professional experience, five (5) of these in senior management roles in learning institutions. Direct experience in College Preparation and Career Counselling is an added advantage.
- Education in various models of teaching, best counselling practices and regulations.
- Ability to work with diverse curricular subject areas.
- The ability to work autonomously, have strong self-motivation and the maturity to remain accountable for results.
- Excellent communication skills and high emotional intelligence abilities.
- A passionate and driven individual with high social and emotional intelligence.
- Open minded and flexible individual.
- Creative thinker who can think outside the box.
- Respect and understands the local culture and values and yet embraces and can work within international work ethics and standards.
- Dedicated team player with demonstrable experience in setting up good governance and processes at scale.
- High levels of integrity, professionalism, resilience, accountability, commitment and determination.
Deadline for application is 23rd April 2021.
Review of applications will begin as soon as they are received, and only complete applications will be reviewed. In the event that an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, we reserve the right to appoint before the deadline. For this reason, we encourage interested and suitably qualified candidates to apply at the earliest possible time. Due to the high volume of applications, we regret that we will only be able to contact short-listed candidates.
Please send the information listed below, as a single PDF file, to the following email address:
email@example.com and add the job title ‘Head of College Preparation and Career Counselling’ to the email subject line.
1. A detailed CV and Cover Letter
2. An essay of no more than 1,000 words outlining:
- What college preparation and career guidance experience have you gained that makes you the most qualified candidate for the role?
- What would be your strategy in developing a career services program in learning institutions to equip students in crafting their long-term career goals? Kindly give examples from your previous experience.
3. A one-page list of five references with current addresses, phone numbers, and email contacts.
4. State on your application where you saw the advert for this position.