< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Head of Primary
AMADEUS International School Vienna (Austria)
Jan 4, 21
Jan 31, 21
AMADEUS International School Vienna
Application Package: Head of Primary (f/m)
Contract Start Date: August 2021
Application Closing Date: 31 January 2021
Reports to: Head of School
AMADEUS Vienna has a strong sense of community and inclusion. The first of its kind in the heart of Europe, AMADEUS International School Vienna offers a unique blend of rigorous academics, innovative music and arts education, and optional boarding in superior facilities. The School’s educational programme is open to children aged 3 to 18 (Early Years 1 – Grade 12), is taught in English, and is based on the globally recognised International Baccalaureate. Learning at AMADEUS Vienna is project-based and creative and empowers students to bring their ideas to life.
Accompanying the excellent academic curriculum is an innovative music and arts programme. Students are supported in choosing the creative path best suited to their individual talents and goals, focusing on appreciation, enrichment, and specialisation.
The Head of Primary provides effective, dynamic and inspirational pedagogical leadership in order that every child is able to fulfill their highest potential. The Head of Primary ensures a learning environment and instructional programme of distinction for our students and their families; leveraging the points of excellence within the IB PYP, and fusing these with the opportunities for music and arts education in Vienna, within an innovative and personalised approach.
The Head of Primary is responsible for the leadership and management of all personnel who perform their respective functions within the Amadeus Primary School.
1. Leadership and Management:
- Organise the day-to-day running and operation of all aspects of the Primary School.
- Maintain sound procedures for the security, safety, and supervision of all the AV community, ensuring that health and safety regulations are met (member of the Health and Safety Committee).
- Assume responsibility for Safeguarding and Child Protection as one of AMADEUS Vienna’s designated safeguarding leads (chair of the Safeguarding Committee).
- Ensure that all underpinning policy and administrative/procedural documentation is available, fit-for-purpose, and ‘living’ within the Primary School.
- Ensure effective communication, feedback loops, and opportunities for collaboration, throughout the whole School. These efforts include all stakeholders (as appropriate) and promote deep and meaningful engagement.
- Build a collaborative learning culture within the Primary School and actively engage with other sections of the school to build effective learning communities (member of the School Leadership Team).
- Develop, motivate, and lead all staff to achieve the highest professional standards in line with the School’s behavioural framework.
- Ensure that the behavioural standards within the Primary School reflect the IB learner profile and our pilar of virtue.
- Maintain a high-profile presence throughout the school, attend and support all whole-school events and activities (including marketing and admissions).
- Develop and present the annual budget to the Head of School and Head of Business and Finance, and manage this budget, with oversight of ordering, within the given parameters.
- Engage fully in all cycles of continual improvement and accreditation (including IB and CIS).
- Support, by way of ongoing staff appraisal, all teachers and teaching assistants in their professional growth such that they themselves, alongside our students, fulfil their highest potential.
- Undertake other such duties as may be reasonably expected or delegated by the Head of School.
2. Teaching, Learning, Curriculum and Standard
- Work collaboratively with the IB Coordinators, to support the implementation of the IB programmes, which should inspire and engage all students
- Oversee access arrangements and inclusivity for students with additional learning needs and those requiring language support.
- Ensure a consistent and continuous school-wide focus on pupil assessment and achievement, using appropriate data to set, monitor, track, and evaluate individual pupil progress.
- Support teachers in the development of a nurturing, caring, pastoral environment for all pupils.
- Encourage and promote ambitious curriculum design, especially linked with music and art, information technology, and the AMADEUS 7 pillars of distinction.
- Ensure (in collaboration with the Experiential Learning Coordinator) that the learning opportunities for students extend into the extracurricular activity programme.
- Regularly review and oversee planning and curriculum documentation, ensuring it is of the highest quality.
- Take full responsibility for all student learning within the Primary School, develop and implement strategies to continually improve and maximise it.
We are searching for a Head of Primary who embodies distinction, and our community values of kindness, happiness and imagination. The successful candidate will be both child centred and nurturing in their day-to-day operations, and visionary in their direction setting and ambition for the Primary section. This person will be energetic, resilient, good-humoured, caring and able to inspire the confidence and best efforts of students, teachers, and parents alike.
- Recognised teaching and administrative credentials (Master in Education)
- Fluency in English
- 10 years of professional experience (5 of which should be international)
- A track record of outstanding performance
- Previous experience of working with the IB Primary Years Programme
- Knowledge of the Reggio Emilia approach in Early Years Education
- Excellent communication (oral and written) skill
WHAT WE OFFER
- A welcoming and inclusive work environment
- An aesthetic campus in a beautiful and secure European location
- Long-term employment in an international company
- The salary, depending on qualifications and experience, follows the current Senior Leadership salary scale with a minimum gross yearly salary of 60,000.00 for fulltime (All-Inclusive) employment
If you are a highly motivated a team player looking for the opportunity to contribute to and shape a truly outstanding Primary school of distinction, please send your full application to the attention of the Head of School, at email@example.com.
Please attach the following:
- Cover Letter of motivation
- A two-minute video introduction which speaks to your leadership style and vision of educational distinction in primary education.
- Professional References including a parent, a teacher and a direct line manager
- Copies of relevant credentials
AMADEUS Vienna follows international best practice Child Protection and Safer Recruitment processes. Candidates must be prepared to undergo child protection screening (police records…) and appropriate pre-employment/reference checks.
Thank you for understanding that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.