< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Aug 28, 21
Sep 30, 21
Medan Independent School, Sumatra Indonesia
Head of School – from August 2022
Medan Independent School (MIS) is seeking a new Head of School from August 2022, to lead a unique IB World School which is the only school in Sumatra to offer the IB Continuum.
Medan Independent School (formerly Medan International School) has been operating in Medan since 1969. MIS has been accredited by WASC since 1991 and became an IB World School in 2002 with the authorisation of the Middle Years Programme (MYP), adding the Primary Years Programme (PYP) in 2003 and the Diploma Programme (DP) in 2017. In May 2019 MIS saw its first high school graduating class sit their IB Diploma examinations.
MIS is situated on the outskirts of Medan, with a campus which has the feel of a tropical garden. It is an oasis of peacefulness set amongst busy Medan. It has spacious classrooms, a library, a computer lab, science laboratories, an early childhood centre, two swimming pools, an indoor gymnasium with a stage, an art room, a music room, a full sized soccer field and three outdoor playgrounds. The campus allows for optimal conditions to educate both the mind and the body.
MIS is a not-for-profit school, with a voluntary board, conforming to the registration as a Yayasan (Foundation) with the Indonesian government. Alongside IB and WASC accreditations, MIS has gained recognition an SPK non-national curriculum authorised school via the Indonesian Ministry of Education
Medan Independent School provides the highest quality education in Sumatra by developing globally-minded students who are ready and able to make the world a better place.
We provide a rigorous and challenging internationally-recognized program that focuses on intercultural understanding, 21st Century skills, knowledge, and attitudes to enable life-long learners who can adapt and act in a caring way leading to a positive impact on the future of our world.
The Head of School is both a member of the faculty and the Chief Executive Officer, charged with the day-to-day running of the school, with responsibility and authority for overall management within the policies and directives of the Board of Directors.
- have a commitment to the school’s Mission Statement, Schoolwide Learning Expectations (WASC) and the philosophy of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme (PYP), Middle Years Programme (MYP) and Diploma Programme, and ensure that they are realised.
- provide administrative, budget and personnel support to ensure the continuation and enhancement of the school’s IB PYP, MYP and DP programmes.
- have a commitment to ongoing school development, and maintain this through the preparation of annual and long-term plans and the maintenance of the school’s accreditation and IB authorisation.
- ensure that a modern, student centred curriculum is presented which is sensitive to the current and future needs of students in helping them prepare for their role in a global society.
- provide leadership for the senior curriculum management team, ensuring that current and appropriate curriculum is developed and articulated in all areas, and that new curriculum developments have the support of the faculty and community, and that appropriate professional activities are provided to ensure effective implementation.
- promote programmes which reflect the multicultural nature of the school and the Indonesian setting.
- in collaboration with the staff, and with reference to the School Development Plan and developing student needs, ensure the best available resources across the curriculum.
- ensure that the school offers a broad and varied co-curricular and special events programme which caters for a wide range of student interests and abilities and enhances the school programme.
- provide and promote leadership, open communication and support a collaborative approach among employees of the school.
- lead the recruitment and development process for all personnel.
- apply effective and efficient administrative and organisational structures in the management of the school. This will include: - enhancing open and effective communication with the Board, faculty, students and parents. - developing, implementing and evaluating school development plans. - improving efficiency and effectiveness of administrative systems. - promoting the school through the production of new and revised school publications and marketing strategies.
- supervise the maintenance of the school plant to ensure the quality of the plant and that it provides a safe, pleasant environment and enhances delivery of the school’s programmes.
- prepare and manage the school’s budget and work closely with the school’s Accounts Officer, Board Treasurer and Auditor.
- represent the school in the community.
Terms of Appointment:
The school will offer a competitive package, reflecting the candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Benefits in addition to an attractive salary are likely to include:
- International medical insurance
- Housing and settling in allowance
- Annual home leave allowance
- Free tuition for two dependent children
- Use of a school vehicle
How to apply:
Candidates should submit their applications as soon as possible, as MIS reserves the right to close the selection process at any time if a suitable candidate is identified. Applications will be reviewed as soon as received and initial Zoom interviews will be arranged accordingly. Applicants are asked to submit the following documents in a single pdf file (not to exceed 4 MB) by no later than Thursday 30 September, 2021:
- a letter of application (no more than two pages), outlining your strengths and why you are interested in applying for this position.
- a CV/resume (no more than two pages).
- the names and full contact details of three professional referees, with one being a current direct supervisor
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline.