< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Oct 23, 19
Nov 15, 19
A. THE SCHOOL
SSIS is Suzhou’s oldest and largest international school. We are a fully authorized IB Continuum School and accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS) and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
The school was founded over 20 years ago to serve the expatriate community in the modern and vibrant city of Suzhou. The school is located on a modern business park built through the collaboration of the Chinese and Singapore governments to support local and international economic development in light and hi-tech manufacturing, research and development. Today we are more fondly known as SSIS, Suzhou’s International School.
Our students represent over 50 nationalities with a total enrollment of over 1150 students who enjoy the challenge of an internationally focused and challenging curriculum, a wide range of extra-curricular opportunities in a positive, supportive and caring environment with outstanding facilities and resources. Our excellent academic results are significantly above world average and our graduates attend excellent universities and colleges around the world.
B. THE HEAD OF SCHOOL
The Head of School plays a vital role in delivering the vision of Suzhou Singapore International School. The leadership of the Head of School is critical to improving the educational outcomes of students in the school. The Head of School has a major influence on developing the quality of teaching and learning and nurturing positive relationships between students, teachers and stakeholders.
The Head of School reports directly to the School Board.
The Head of School will have responsibility for leading the following activities and delivery of the following key tasks:
- Lead the school community to develop, articulate and commit to a shared educational vision focused on providing quality learning outcomes for all students
- Sets the tone, ethos, working and academic climate of the school. By his/her deeds and actions he/she sets the expectations that characterize the tone of the school.
- Effective management of SSIS as a place of learning through the provision of educational leadership.
- Provide for each student an appropriate educational environment through the management of all the professional staff of the school and of the learning and physical infrastructure.
- Remains futures oriented and strategic
- Fostering the place of the school within the community through formal and informal means.
- Ensures that the school is able to run its programs within the budget agreed on by the Board for each academic year.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Education, or equivalent, with a demonstrated interest in remaining at the forefront of educational trends.
- Experience as a School Head, Assistant Head, or Divisional Head, preferably in an international school located in China.
- Experience with IB Programmes.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated capacity to develop and sustain productive relationships within and beyond the school community.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and analytical skills and the ability to use those to influence the educational agenda of the school.
- Proven track record of success in hiring, leading, and managing faculty and school administrators
- Proven ability to manage effectively human, financial and physical resources to deliver a high quality organizational outcomes
The salary and benefits package will be competitive, and commensurate with the qualifications and previous experience of the successful candidate. Further details will be given to short-listed candidates.
D. APPLICATION PROCEDURES
Suitably qualified candidates should send to – Mark Treichel – Director Curriculum and Education Services – firstname.lastname@example.org all the items below collated together in a single pdf as an email attachment (to arrive as soon as possible, and no later than 15th November 2019)
- a letter of application (no more than one page), briefly outlining why the candidate wishes to apply for this position and what specific skills, qualities and experience he/she can offer
- a CV (no more than two pages)
- a statement of educational and leadership philosophy (no more than one page)
- the names and full contact details of at least three professional referees
- a good recent head-and-shoulders photo
Initial interviews will take place during November/December 2019, and the Board aims to appoint the new Head no later than the end of February 2020. However, it reserves the option to invite selected candidates to interviews in advance of this schedule.