< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Oct 27, 21
Nov 26, 21
Secondary Headteacher - August 2022 start
This is a wonderful opportunity to join an outstanding school in Colombia. The Head of Secondary will be responsible for leading the drive for continuous improvement in the secondary section.
CAC was established in 1956. It is a private, not for profit, co-educational and non-denominational international school, with a strong sense of British heritage.
The Head of Secondary will oversee the curriculum and all aspects of teaching and learning, ensuring the highest quality of provision for all learners (including those at the extremes of the ability range) within a student body of approximately 1000 students, within the IB Diploma and Middle Years programmes (IB DP and MYP), and the Colombian Standards. Alongside leading and managing a diverse range of staff, including 120 teaching staff members, the Head of Secondary will be involved in whole school strategic planning and subsequent implementation, monitoring and evaluation of initiatives, as well as the leading on the planning for the school’s involvement in various international programmes such as Round Square, MUN, and the International Award. The successful candidate will be expected to lead on INSET/teacher professional development, and the school is particularly interested in individuals who have proven experience in school development and excellence, preferably within a renowned inspection/accreditation framework.
In the past few years Search Associates have placed a number of teachers at the School and the feedback has been resoundingly positive.
The main functions of the Head of Secondary are:
Strategic planning and leadership
- Contribute to whole school strategic planning and subsequent implementation, monitoring and evaluation of initiatives.
- Lead the drive in the Secondary section for continuous improvement
- Contribute to the Strategic plan for international programmes such as Round Square, MUN, and the International Award
- Lead and manage a diverse range of staff, including 120 teaching staff members.
Teaching and Learning
- Ensure high levels of curriculum rigour, teaching, learning and standards to ensure the highest quality of provision for all learners (including those at the extremes of the ability range) within the expectations of the IB programmes and Colombian standards for approximately 900 students.
- Establish and promote high standards and expectations for teachers for student academic performances and appropriate levels of discipline
- Provide training for teachers in line with identified priorities for the section.
- Lead the processes of induction and appraisal of teachers and create mechanisms for coaching, mentoring and peer support to engage teachers in advancing their practice.
- Lead the assessment protocols to ensure that reporting and assessment schedules enable effective monitoring, reflection and intervention to support learners in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all teachers are using student data effectively to inform teaching strategies.
- Ensure that student progress and qualitative feedback on next steps is reported to stakeholders at key times to inform learning progression.
- Prioritise child protection and safeguarding measures in order to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the students.
- Model and promote the school values in all community interactions.
- Maintain high levels of discipline to ensure the highest quality learning environment for all students.
- Ensure that students access their entitlement to an appropriate social/emotional learning programme.
- Build opportunities for student engagement in the balanced wider curriculum, including arts, sports, service, leadership, internationalism, adventure and environmentalism.
- Ensure that school systems are optimised for student learning, including the development and monitoring of the academic resources budget for the section.
- Contribute to the processes of admissions and recruitment of local and expatriate staff.
- Develop the school timetable, duty , covers, rotas and other supervision according to academic and balanced wider curriculum requirements.
- Represent the school at events connected to the Secondary section and deputise for the Rector at events in the wider community as required.
- Prepare the annual secondary budget
Experience and attributes
- proven record of success in a secondary school position of responsibility
- successful experience of inspection and/or accreditation processes
- record of raising teaching standards and of providing INSET/teacher training
- strong organisational, public relations and interpersonal skills
- experience of managing a successful curriculum planning model
Colegio Anglo Colombiano
CAC is one of the most renowned schools in Colombia and the wider region. It has been an IB World School since 1980, and has been fully accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS) since 1998. It is fully committed to delivering the very best education possible.
The school is set on a beautiful campus, and enjoys state-of-the-art facilities. It makes for an inspiring learning and working environment.
Web page : www.anglocolombiano.edu.co
Bogota is the political, economic and cultural heart of the nation with a high percentage of expats. Colombia itself is a highly populated country with the majority of the population living within cities. It is also one of the most biologically diverse nations on Earth, and boasts stunning scenery from mountains to beaches, jungles and beyond.
The Opportunity: benefits and further details
This position offers a generous package including a relocation allowance, housing, private health insurance, a pension plan, flights, Spanish lessons and full educational costs for any legally dependent children. Additionally, being part of the IB schools network, professional development opportunities on offer are excellent.
How to apply
All candidates must be fully qualified teachers, with proven experience of delivering academic excellence in a senior role in the past.
Applications and updated CV should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The application deadline is Friday 26th November, but early applications are strongly recommended to avoid disappointment.
Interviews will take place online initially with the final round taking place at the school in Bogota.