< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Sep 17, 21
Oct 10, 21
High School Deputy Principal
The International Community School of Addis Ababa is seeking a Deputy Principal to join the High School Principal in leading a future-focused division that is both highly effective and learning progressive. The High School Deputy Principal in partnership with the High School Principal, is responsible for the day-to-day learning leadership of the High School, its staff, curriculum, and learning of all student. She/he will support leadership of the entire high school community and ensure a happy, safe, and effective teaching environment for every student. The deputy principal will be leader of learning who can imagine and creatively implement student-centered pedagogy with conceptual teaching and learning practices that are framed within a highly collaborative and team structured environment
The High School Deputy Principal will facilitate and support the school community towards achievement of the school’s mission, vision, and all other ICS foundational principles as well as the school-wide and divisional goals and objectives.
MINIMUM QUALFICATION AND EXPEREINCE
- Administrative certification through the Principal’s Training Center, an advanced degree in Educational Leadership or equivalent
- Proven successful experience in educational leadership roles.
- Proven previous successful experience in an inclusive school and have worked with different curricula, including the IB Diploma Program
- Successful experience as a teacher in the High School
- Direct experience with instructional leadership, personalized learning, coaching and supervision of professional staff
- A demonstrable, clear vision for a holistic, 21st century educational program that ensures personalized learning experience for students
- Effective and engaging oral and written communication skills (on-line, via email and in print)
- Application of a variety of leadership styles appropriate to situations
- Demonstrated ability to build strong, supportive relationships, to participate on and to build collaborative teams with a focus on the PLC process.
- Experience managing change in a rapidly changing or growing school environment.
- Excellent organizational, planning, interpersonal, relational, administrative and communication skills for management tasks like scheduling as well as assessment and reporting systems
- Direct experience with Professional Learning Communities (PLC)
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, critical thinking and analytical skills, conflict resolution experience, a collaborative management style and excellent organizational and planning abilities
- Reasoning ability: ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and interpret a variety of technical instructions
- Experience with creating Master schedules
- Understand basic accounting principles
- Skills and ability to apply school educational and leadership strategies and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff and the community
- Demonstrated understanding of current educational trends including effective instructional design and assessment practices, and highly effective, learning progressive curricular programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of educational uses of software systems
- Evidence of ongoing professional development
- Demonstrated ability to foster a positive school climate for students, staff, and community
- Familiarity with learning intervention strategies is preferred
The successful candidate will:
- Model the IB Learner Profile professionally and personally
- Be an optimist with a good sense of humor, compassion, resilience, and flexibility
- Collaborate, support, empower and engage with administrative colleagues, school staff and other community members
- Work skillfully and sensitively with people from a wide variety of cultures and display a commitment to international mindedness.
CONTRACT AND COMPENSATION
The initial contract will be for two years (Aug 2022–July 2024). ICS Addis has an internationally competitive salary and benefit package and since this position is a Middle level leadership position, it comes with a teacher salary and benefit package with 10% Administrative Responsibility Allowance. Addis Ababa enjoys a relatively low cost of living, and there are no local taxes on salary or benefits. In addition to a base salary that allows considerable discretionary income, we provide furnished housing, an overseas-hire allowance (15%), matching retirement (10%), local utilities allowance, generous professional learning opportunities, a laptop reimbursement benefit, international family health insurance with vision and dental benefits, disability and life insurance, annual home leave, shipping/settling-in allowance, and free tuition for school age dependents per the school’s Admission’s criteria. Note: there are limited employment opportunities within Addis Ababa for a non-teaching spouse.
The Deputy Principal contract is for 192 days and shall be entitled holidays established annually as holidays for the school and will be expected to be on duty up to additional 15 days which will be compensated on daily rate. Other types of leave include professional leave (usually for conferences or recruiting), sick leave, bereavement leave, etc.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified candidates should complete the online application form on our website portal Apply to ICS and attach a single PDF file no later than October 10, 2021. Do not apply directly to the Head of School. Administrative dossiers with ISS, CIS, or Search Associates are helpful but will not substitute for a direct application to ICS Addis.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Questions should be addressed to email@example.com.
As part of the online application, please upload a single PDF packet which includes the following:
- A letter of interest explaining your strengths and why you think you are a good match for the position and our school.
- An up to date and current résumé.
- A list of at least four recent referees should be submitted. Contact information should include name, position, current email address, Skype address, mobile/office numbers and current (anticipated) time zone. Your referees should include your current supervisor and may include one administrative colleague.
- Open letters of reference from recent supervisors or Board members are welcome and should be included in the single PDF.
ICS Addis will respond briefly to all applications received via this portal. Highly qualified candidates may be interviewed as applications are received. ICS reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline if an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process.