< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Nov 12, 22
Nov 30, 22
The American School of Tangier
High School Principal Position Description - beginning August 2023
The American School of Tangier (AST) is the oldest international school in North Africa, founded in 1950, AST began operations just six years after King Mohammed V, President Roosevelt, and Prime Minister Churchill met in Casablanca, and six years before Morocco’s independence from France. AST’s legacy of successfully serving international and Moroccan youth for well over seventy years inspires continual reinvention of programs enabling AST to keep pace with the modern world.
The next High School Principal will be welcomed by a school ethos of community and of caring for the students. Many of the staff have been with the school for over a decade and with a large segment of the students attending the school from PK to graduation, there is a family feeling as the AST community collectively owns the success stories.
Mission & Core Values
The American School of Tangier is a private, nonprofit, co-educational institution with over 450 students. The school is associated with the Office of Overseas Schools of the US Department of State and is a member of the Mediterranean Association of International Schools (MAIS). AST is fully accredited by the Middle States Association (MSA) and is currently in its next re-accreditation cycle; we are completing our Self-Study and will begin writing our Implementation Plan shortly.
The mission of AST is focused on students and ends with a metric of success. Our community is currently re-evaluating our identity and purpose - and these statements will likely evolve, as will our strategic direction.
The Mission of the American School of Tangier is to equip our students with the tools and knowledge to become successful, global citizens in a creative community environment.
AST will fulfill this mission through our Core Values:
- An American-style education with a thorough grounding in the liberal arts and sciences.
- A highly competitive preparation for university acceptance around the world, especially American universities.
- A commitment to lifelong personal development.
- Community leadership that inspires responsibility, open mindedness, empathy, and resilience.
AST will be successful when its students and faculty inspire lives of character, leadership, and service for the city, the country, and the world.
- Advanced degree in Education Leadership or related field; certification or licensure in school administration from your home of record is strongly preferred;
- prior leadership experience in a secondary school;
- prior teaching experience in high schools;
- previous experience in an international setting, preferably with French or Arabic cultures;
- ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing to wide range of audiences;
- ability to establish effective working relationships with staff, students, parents, alumni, and community members;
- ability to work with students of various academic and cultural backgrounds.
Additional qualities highlighted by our community - good listener, strong personality, respectful, fun, trusting, dependable, and curious.
Salary and Benefits
Salaries are improving and we intend to be more competitive as we continue to grow. That said, an individual or a teaching couple can live very comfortably in Tangier while working at AST. Benefits include a housing allowance, annual flight allowance, settling in allowance, insurance, professional development opportunities, and tuition benefits for PK-12 school age dependents. Local taxes and FICA contributions for US citizens are paid by the school.
The High School Principal provides leadership in all educational and community matters in grades 9-12. The principal ensures that all programs and practices are guided by and support the school’s mission and core values as well as the division's vision and priorities. Working in partnership with the Leadership Team, teachers, staff, parents, and students they establish an environment in which all students have access to exceptional and diverse academic courses and learning opportunities as well as care for their social-emotional needs.
The High School Principal is responsible to the Head of School for the development, implementation, and oversight of the curriculum, teaching and learning, assessment, and management of the HS program, which will include approximately 120 students and 10 full time teachers.
Beginning in the 2023-2024 school year, the High School Principal will be supported by a number of teacher-leaders who will have specific coordinating responsibilities: Community Service, In-House Activities, Intersession/Week Without Walls - as well as our Athletic Director and College Counselor*.
Opportunities & Challenges
Our high school is growing; it has expanded from just over 80 students a few years ago to close to 120 students today. With the addition of these new students, we will be adding new teachers to the division as well; all need to be welcomed and believe that they belong and can contribute to AST’s progress. We will be expanding our course offering as well, using online platforms, to enable our students to have greater opportunities to explore electives as well as AP courses we have not historically offered. We also need someone to help reinvigorate the arts/athletics/activities ethos of the school after their absence in the pandemic years.
The school follows the American curriculum and offers a selection of the College Board Advanced
Placement classes. AST uses Common Core Mathematics and Language arts standards and the Next Generation Science Standards. Arabic is required for all students and French is also available beginning in grade 6. Performing and visual arts are an integral part of our program.
Main Responsibilities & Duties
The High School Principal will oversee all aspects of the division’s instructional program and promote a culture of excellence among faculty and students. The major responsibilities and duties include:
- Leading the instructional program
- Organizational leadership and professional development
- Personnel management
- Student leadership
- School and community relations
- Overseeing the divisional budget and other administrative functions
The High School Principal must also be willing to perform other duties as assigned, i.e. serve on committees, assist with accreditation, special projects, etc.
Interested candidates should submit an application no later than November 30, 2022. Candidates should note that, in the event an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, AST reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline mentioned above and to bring the search to a close.
Candidates should email the requested information in a single PDF document to Dr. Robert Evans at firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should read “AST HS Principal” plus the applicant’s name.
The application should include:
- Cover letter of application
- Resume, not to exceed two-pages
- Educational philosophy detailing beliefs in reference to learning and leading
- List of at least three references, one of which must be your current Head of School or Director. The list should include their names, positions, and current email address.