< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - David Perry
Nov 12, 13
Dec 20, 13
International school nido de Aguilas
Seeks: High School Principal
For July of 2014
Nido de Aguilas is a private, non-profit, co-educational international school. The school is governed by a self-perpetuating Board of Directors elected from the parents of the school. Located in the foothills of the Andes Mountains, the campus sits on a park-like 63 hectare site. Although just 30 minutes from downtown Santiago, it is common to see cattle and horses grazing the hills adjacent to the school. Founded in 1934, Nido is a nonprofit foundation and is the official US State Department sponsored school in Chile. The school serves the international business and diplomatic community assigned to Santiago, as well as a number of host country students seeking a US style, English language education. Current school-wide enrollment is over 1,700 students, and the high school enrollment is 500. More than 50 nationalities are enrolled. Of these, 23% are US citizens and 40% are host country Chileans. Approximately 60% of the school’s 200 teachers are expatriates with most coming from the U.S. and Canada. Over 60% of the teachers hold a Masters degree. The High School faculty numbers 55 faculty members. The High School Principal is a member of the Senior Administrative team, which includes the Headmaster, 3 Principals, 5 Asst. Principals, Director of Curriculum and Staff Development, Chilean National Program Director and Chief Financial Officer/ Business Manager.
The High School Principal serves in all matters as the Educational Leader respective to the High School Program. Further information about the high school, including handbooks, schedules, courses and activities can be found at < www.nido.cl >.
The High School Principal ensures that all programs and practices of Faculty and Staff support the School’s Mission and Philosophy and that all students, on a day-to-day basis, are provided with an excellent educational program. The High School Principal will be specifically responsible for the following areas under the supervision of the Headmaster.
The Principal is responsible for providing sound educational leadership and implementing professional growth programs for faculty and staff, ensuring that all teachers and support staff have a clear understanding of their performance expectations and establishing a culture of accountability and high expectations. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Implement and continuously improve on the practices and standards associated with a world-class high school program, with particular emphasis on expanding and refining Nido’s use of student-led, discussion-based classroom instruction methods.
- Provide meaningful professional growth programs for faculty and staff, ensuring that all teachers and support staff have a clear understanding of their performance expectations and establishing a culture of intellectual curiosity, accountability and high expectations.
- Communicate effectively with students, faculty, parents, and colleagues as well as in the community. The Principal must manage successful communications with all constituent groups including a diverse parent community.
- Assume responsibility for budget management and allocations for the high school including accurate program budget planning and fiscal accountability, ensuring that all the school’s resources are identified and being used to target school goals.
- Demonstrate the willingness to seek constant professional learning and professional growth as a committed life-long learner, demonstrating role-model traits that enable others to recognize the Principal as an educational leader.
- Be a visible and vocal steward of Nido’s traditions and unique identity as an educational institution. Build programs that enable students to discover and cultivate their personal strengths, passions, and ethics.
- Be a willing and active participant in committee work and group program discussions, demonstrating themselves as a team player and effective collaborative partner.
- Perform such other duties and responsibilities as delegated by the Headmaster
- Relevant graduate degree
- Experience as a principal/division head
- Experience with IB programs preferred
- Experience with exceptional academically focused school programs
- Experience with effective educational technology integration
- Experience with seminar table teaching methods preferred
Salary and Benefits
The salary will be competitive and commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include:
- Salary in USD
- Retirement – 6% of salary
- Housing Allowance
- Professional Development
- International Health Insurance and Wellness Benefit
- Annual Home Leave
- Vehicle allowance and assistance with purchase
- Group Term Life Insurance
Procedure for Filing Application
International School Nido de Aguilas has appointed Search Associates to act as consultant in the search for the new High School Principal with Ralph Jahr being the lead consultant. The deadline for applications for the position is 20 December 2013. Candidates are asked to submit a letter of interest and the requested materials listed below as early as possible as the Head of School and the Search Committee reserve the right to close the selection process at any time if the right candidate is found.
The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Finalists will be selected by the Search Committee as early in the process as possible, which could be well before the deadline date. Finalist candidates will be interviewed in Santiago by the Head of School and the Search Committee and will have the opportunity to visit the school campus and meet with the High School faculty, students, and the administrative staff. The new HS Principal will be selected immediately after the conclusion of the site visits and final interviews.
Candidates should send the information listed below as a single pdf file attached to an email:
- A letter of application, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in the High School Principal position at International School Nido de Aguilas.
- A statement describing your management and educational philosophy, not to exceed two pages
- A current résumé not to exceed two pages
- A one-page list of references with current addresses, phone numbers and email addresses
- A maximum of three letters of reference (scanned at low resolution) that may already be in your possession
Total document size should be kept to less than three (3) MB if possible. Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional information about the school can be found on the school’s web site at www.nido.cl .
Skype – ralph.h.jahr