< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Nov 30, 20
Jan 15, 21
KAZAKHSTAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
More than Academics
At KIS, we nurture international mindedness within our multilingual school community by providing an inquiry-based curriculum focused on the development of the whole child as a caring, open-minded, lifelong learner.
Kazakhstan International School in Almaty, Kazakhstan
seeks a High School Principal
Commencing August 2021
Kazakhstan International School was founded 20 years ago as a Montessori kindergarten. KIS is proud to be an IB World School, offering the renowned International Baccalaureate programme of education (IB).
In 2008, KIS became an IB World School, offering the globally recognised International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (PYP). In December 2018, KIS moved to a centrally located, state-of-the-art campus. This enabled us to expand right up to Grade 10, completing the Middle Years Programme. 2020 is already another milestone year in the history of our school’s development into an all-through IB school for 2- to 18-year-olds. In spring 2020 we were authorized to deliver the prestigious Diploma Programme from August 2020 onwards. KIS has also started the process for becoming a CIS & MSA registered school. We currently have 320 students from Toddlers to Grade 11 and are poised to grow to 550. KIS maintains a website which potential applicants will find useful at https://kisnet.org/. Please also see this video to learn more about KIS and our community.
Campus and Facilities
Our brand-new campus opened in December 2018, and our Early Years children joined us in January 2019. Our school enjoys a beautiful and central location among the green hills of Almaty, with spectacular views of the snow-capped Tien Shan mountains, and across the city of Almaty. Our classrooms have the latest touchscreen technology, and we have state-of-the-art facilities including a spacious sports hall and a purpose-built auditorium that can seat up to 300 people. More facilities are planned as we continue to develop our campus and its grounds.
Curriculum and Accreditation
KIS is authorized by the International Baccalaureate (IB) organization to offer the IB Primary Years, Middle Years and Diploma Programmes. KIS has also started the process for becoming a CIS & MSA registered school.
KIS is committed to high standards of achievement, as exemplified by a highly qualified faculty who have continuous access to best-in-class instructional materials and teaching strategies. KIS faculty and staff come from a multitude of countries including USA, Canada, UK, France, South Africa, Netherlands, etc.; the school actively supports and encourages the professional growth of our faculty and staff. Teachers enjoy an excellent benefits package and savings potential. Almaty is a safe and interesting place to live with a fascinating history and cultural heritage. Most faculty tend to stay for multiple contracts.
The Student Body
KIS has a richly diversified population of approximately 320 students attending the school from Early Years Programme through Grade 12. The average class size is twenty students.
Active Parental Support
The KIS community enjoys the support of a very enthusiastic and hands-on Parent and Teacher Association (PTA) that supports the education of KIS students by fostering relationships among the school, parents, and teachers, activities and communication between different parts of our community. The PTA organizes and participates in numerous events during the year, such as the Family Fun Day, International Mother Tongue Day, Book Week, and Talent Show, among others, as well as creating links between the parent community and the school.
The Advisory Board
The Advisory Board is the governing body of the school. It exists to ensure that our students receive the best education, that our teachers have all the resources to teach and benefit from a constructive working environment, and that the school budget is well funded to support our Mission, Vision and Values. The KIS Advisory Board has eight voting members. The Board generally meets once a month to oversee and ensure school governance, school policy and to set strategic direction.
The Country and City
Kazakhstan is located in the centre of the Asian continent, and its ethnic and territorial composition reflects the continent’s diversity. Nowadays, there are over 130 different ethnic groups living on the territory of Kazakhstan.
Almaty is located where the steppe meets the mountains. To the south, the snow-capped Tian Shan range surrounds Almaty and to the North, it faces a vast plain that stretches all the way to Siberia. There are many deep river gorges, lakes and hills nearby the city. Almaty has perhaps one of the most striking and beautiful locations of any city in the world.
HIGH SCHOOL PRINCIPAL – JOB DESCRIPTION
KIS is a 3-programme IB world School. The High School Principal is responsible for all students and staff in MYP and DP.
The High School Principal is responsible for day-to-day management of this section of the school. He/she is a member of the school's leadership team and contributes to the overall leadership and management of the school. The High School Principal is responsible for the successful implementation of the school mission in the secondary school and reports to the Head of School.
- Supports and advances the Mission, Vision and Values of the Kazakhstan International School.
- Supports student learning and achievement through cooperative effort and best practices.
- Supports and promotes the Grade 6 to 12 curriculum based upon IB goals and mission.
- Supports and advances international education.
- Incorporates current research and best practices in teaching, learning, leadership, and decision making.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: LEADERSHIP
- Collaborate with the Program Coordinators to review and implement the school’s curriculum;
- Provide students, faculty and staff within the division with a rigorous academic program and ensure that the evaluation of student assessment be performed and the learner profile modelled;
- Supervise teachers and other direct reports to ensure student learning, provide feedback on performance, encourage professional development and support and supervise teachers through regular visits to classrooms;
- Recommend faculty appointment renewals and non-renewals to the Head of School;
- Develop and meet annual goals, discussed with and set by the Head of School, in support of the overall strategic plan;
- Complete an annual written self-appraisal against annual goals and job description;
- Work with the Heads of Department on suitable teaching assignments of faculty;
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: MANAGEMENT
- Run the day-to-day operations of the respective division of the school;
- Manage student admissions, discipline and the pastoral care program;
- Ensure compliance with accrediting agency standards, implement procedures outlined in the faculty handbook, and action steps highlighted in the Strategic Plan;
- Schedule and deliver parent meetings, conferences and timely communication about the division;
- Develop, with the Head of School, the divisional budget within approved parameters;
- Update parent/student handbooks with recent policy changes;
- Assume other responsibilities assigned by the Head of School.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND ATTRIBUTES
It is expected that candidates for this position will be highly qualified educators able to lead a faculty in order to make a distinct improvement in the learning environment and learning outcomes of our students. Characteristics of the ideal person for this position would include:
- An outstanding educator;
- A Master’s Degree in Education, Education Administration or Curriculum Studies;
- A minimum of fifteen years teaching experience, with at least five in a senior administrative role, at least Head of Division or Deputy Head of Division status;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability and desire to work collaboratively with the school community;
- Experience in the IB and job specific professional arenas;
- Experience in developing and implementing professional development;
- Highly organized with excellent writing, technical and communication skills;
- Experience with programme development and implementation, (i.e., Counselling, University Placement, English as an Additional Language, Tiered Learning Support, etc.).
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS OR ATTRIBUTES
- Previous experience with accreditation process (IB, CIS, or MSA);
- Further experience within the IB (i.e., IB workshop facilitator, IB consultant, etc. …);
- Strong understanding of all aspects of language development (mother tongue and additional languages);
- Competency in a second language;
- Understanding of change management and leadership theory.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT & CONTRACT
The successful candidate will receive a competitive, tax-free salary and benefits package; the initial appointment will be for a two-year period, to be renewed annually thereafter.
All applicants should submit a letter of application addressed to the Head of School, Mr. Ole Bernard Sealey, a current résumé, a statement of leadership philosophy, and at least three confidential referees (one of whom must be your current Head of School) to email@example.com by January 15th, 2020. The school reserves the right to appoint an applicant before this deadline if a highly qualified person is identified before the due date.