< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Aug 26, 22
Sep 23, 22
High School Vice Principal
Shanghai American School
Application Deadline: September 23, 2022
Start Date: July 2023
For a more complete overview of this opportunity, please review
Reporting to the High School Principal, the High School Vice Principal assists with the leadership of all educational and community matters in the High School on the Pudong Campus. The Vice Principal supports the Principal to ensure that all programs and practices of faculty and staff are guided by and support the School’s mission and core values as well as the High School’s identified priorities. Working in collaboration with the academic and operational leadership teams, faculty and staff, students, parents and the broader community, this leader supports a professional and academic environment in which all students have access to exceptional and diverse academic programs and opportunities as well as appropriate care for their social-emotional and learning needs.
By signing with Shanghai American School, you join not only one of the oldest and most reputable international schools in Asia but also become a member of a dynamic and innovative learning community. Anchored in its mission and core values, SAS balances a focus on the distinctive needs of every student with a commitment to world-class learning outcomes. We value our diversity and are actively committed to ensuring our behaviors promote equity and inclusion to create a sense of belonging for all members of our community. Our strong financial standing affords a highly competitive compensation and benefits package and allows for a resource-rich learning environment. To lead at SAS is to collaborate, looking to set the standard for an international education that is caring, impactful and forward-driven.
Student Services/Pastoral Care
- Assume primary responsibility to act as “Dean of Students”, supporting Principal, Counselors, Heads of Year, and faculty in monitoring student academics, attendance, and behavior
- Assume primary responsibility for student orientation, Link Crew, and Project Wayfinder programing
- Assume primary responsibility for Grade Level Trip planning, programming, and leadership
Academic Program Development
- Work with counselors, HoDs, HOYs, Principal, and Counselors in the revision of the course catalog, articulating with PXHS as appropriate
- Work with Principal and Counselors in editing student handbooks; articulating with PXHS as appropriate
- Serve as administrative representative on various task forces and school-wide initiatives
- Serve on Pudong High School Academic Council
- Assist in the development of curriculum and oversee the implementation of curriculum and adopted instructional practices
- Work with campus administration to:
- Evaluate and develop ways in which we can better support the future of learning in the High School
- Promote the development of vertical and horizontal articulation and coherence of student learning
- Interpret the SAS educational program to teachers, parents, and community
Supervision and Evaluation
- Serve as Acting Principal in Principal’s absence
- Work with Principal in the supervision and evaluation of faculty and staff
- Work with Principal in the coaching of faculty in pedagogy
- Assist Principal in recruiting
- Assist in the organization and running of special academic school-wide programs or events
- Assist in the supervision of school events
- Assist the Principal in the supervision of HS budget preparation, working with the Finance Office and Heads of Department
- Set an example through appearance, warmth, sincerity, consistency, concern, fairness, tactfulness, etc.
Skills, Experience, & Attributes Sought
Working with Adult Learners
- Develop trusting relationships where participants feel safe and motivated to take risks, to learn and to share
- Develop and facilitate a professional learning environment that is grounded in student learning
- Accept and act on constructive feedback
- Demonstrate excellence in effective instructional coaching strategies
- Demonstrate and support reflective practice
- Develop a collaborative culture (norms, protocols)
- Foster mutual responsibility for all group members’ learning
- Demonstrate high levels of emotional intelligence
- Use effective communication strategies to bring clarity and allow the participants to accomplish tasks
- Give feedback honestly, openly and constructively
- Lead data driven dialogue to develop common understandings and inform action
Knowledge of Content and Pedagogy
- Ensure the alignment of the curriculum standards and expectations in the High School
- Support teachers to develop standards-based assessments, evaluate multiple sources of data, and differentiate to meet all students’ learning needs
- Demonstrate excellence in instructional contexts through a repertoire of current effective instructional strategies to engage students in learning
- Provide leadership in the areas of interdisciplinary and inquiry-based learning, unit design (based on UbD), and other SAS instructional frameworks and strategies
- Support use of a variety of instructional technologies to transform student learning
- Create and implement plans to meet system goals and sustainability
Salary & Benefits
SAS offers a very generous salary and benefits package that is highly competitive and will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
Starting Date: July 2023
Application Deadline: September 23, 2022
Dr. Theron J. Mott, Faculty Recruitment Coordinator and former SAS Middle School Principal, will serve as the facilitator for the Shanghai American School High School Vice Principal—Pudong Campus search. All applications packets should be sent directly to Theron.Mott@saschina.org.
Instructions for Candidates
Highly qualified candidates who are interested in leading in a world-class school should submit an application packet as a single PDF file that consists of the following:
- Letter explaining your interest and qualifications for this position (including whether you have an active Search Associates, ISS, or Schrole file).
- Resume/CV including all relevant professional experience (not to exceed 3 pages)
- List of at least five supervisory references with position at time of supervision, current position & location, e-mail, and phone. List must include current direct supervisor and Head of School.
How we see the world is how we experience the world
We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion enrich our community and create a sense of belonging that compels each of us to grow. Therefore, we commit to a journey of community growth that is grounded in best and sustainable practices rooted in our mission and core values. We seek individuals who are ready to contribute to such an environment.
Child Protection at SAS
Shanghai American School, in keeping with our core values and vision statements, has a Child Protection Policy that guides our faculty, staff, and families in matters related to the health, safety and care of children in attendance at our school. By accepting employment at SAS, all faculty and staff agree to work in partnership with the School and abide by the policies adopted by the SAS Board.
With this in mind,
• Applications will be thoroughly and rigorously screened in line with our strong commitment to all aspects of child protection and safeguarding.
• Shanghai American School reserves the right to withdraw an applicant’s candidacy at any time should information be forthcoming that may suggest the candidate is not suitable to progress in the process.
• Shanghai American School reserves the right to withdraw an applicant’s candidacy if current and former supervisor references are not provided.
• Hiring is contingent upon successful criminal background checks.
Applicants are asked to apply as early as possible, as Shanghai American School reserves the right to close the selection process at any time.