< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Jan 18, 2024
Feb 29, 2024
The German European School Singapore (GESS) is a multi-lingual, not-for-profit, German international school in Singapore with a distinct European flavour. As an accredited ‘Excellent German School Abroad’, the German Section of GESS offers all major German school leaving certificates.
Our European Section offers tuition in English for students from grade 1 - 12 across all three IB programmes (the PYP, the MYP and the IB Diploma Programme) as an authorised IB World School.
Children aged 2 years onwards can enroll in our Preschool where children are following the PYP programme in German-speaking, English-speaking or bilingual groups. In addition to an outstanding academic education, GESS strives to teach students community values such as respect, openness and diversity.
The MYP coordinator, together with the European Section leadership team, is responsible for the successful implementation of the MYP and, therefore, has a central function in the organisation of the programme. To this end, the MYP coordinator maintains collaborative contact with the GESS administration, Heads of subject and teachers, and other coordinators across IB world schools and the IB. All IB updates in relation to the MYP are addressed to and by the MYP coordinator.
· Oversee the implementation and delivery of the MYP across 5 grade levels
· Maintain communication between the school and the International Baccalaureate
· As a member of the middle and high school leadership team:
- Contribute towards the smooth running of grades 6-10
- Propose strategic direction and development of the MYP
- Lead curriculum and pedagogical development in the MYP
- Collaborate regularly with school leadership, heads of subject and subject teams
· Communicate with parents regarding the requirements of the MYP
· Support teaching staff to deliver a high-quality MYP
· Maintain documentation for upcoming IB inspections
· Establish programme development plans (PDPs)
· Register candidates on IBIS
· Ensure quality curriculum documentation on digital platforms such as ManageBac
Core Competencies (Middle Management)
As a Middle Manager, you serve as a role model when leading and supervising your team members. You provide your team with clear direction, promoting a dynamic and positive working climate and empowering others. You are open to new ideas and demonstrate creativity in search of excellence.
As a Middle Manager, you encourage teamwork, build effective teams and resolve problems by creating a supportive and collaborative team spirit, remaining mindful of the need to collaborate with people outside the immediate area of responsibility.
Business Growth, Reputation and Financial Stewardship
As a Middle Manager, you ensure the availability of resources and support staff members in achieving results. You set realistic targets for yourself and for the team. You monitor progress and performance. You evaluate achievements and integrate lessons learned.
As a Middle Manager, you set clearly defined objectives for yourself and the team or department. You identify and organise the deployment of resources based on assessed needs, taking into account possible changing circumstances. You monitor the team/department performance in meeting the assigned deadlines and milestones.
As a Middle Manager, you encourage open communication and build consensus. You use tact and discretion in dealing with sensitive information and keep staff informed of decisions and directives as appropriate.
Knowledge and Experience
· Tertiary educational background
· Recognised teaching qualification (minimum B.Ed or PGCE equivalent)
· At least 6 years of MYP classroom teaching experience
· At least 2 years of MYPC leadership experience (IB workshop leader or IB school visitor preferred)
· Knowledge, understanding and teaching experience of the IB’s Diploma Programme are desirable
· Articulate and effective written and oral communication in English
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team
· Experience working in an international school setting is advantageous
· Willingness to adapt to and embrace a new school environment
· Willingness to contribute and champion educational change that supports best practices and improves student learning
GESS is committed to our responsibilities for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of all children and young people. We actively recruit candidates who share our commitment to safeguarding and, therefore, apply robust and comprehensive recruitment and selection procedures. We expect all appointed staff to adhere to and ensure compliance with the relevant GESS Safeguarding Policy and Procedures. If the job holder identifies any instance that a child may be harmed or are at risk of harm (physically or emotionally) in any environment, they must report any concerns to the School’s Designated Safeguarding Lead or a member of the Safeguarding Team.
We offer an exciting working environment in an international and cooperative team. Your application should include a letter of application and your complete resume. Please indicate your reasons for applying for the position.
Our Selection Process
At GESS we adhere to fair employment practices that consist of hiring practices that are fair, merit-based and non-discriminatory.
We are committed to providing a world class, safe, happy environment in which children and young people are able to thrive and learn. We are committed to safeguarding and child protection as we promote the welfare of all our pupils irrespective of race, ability, religion, gender or culture.
All post holders are subject to appropriate vetting procedures including satisfactory reference and background checks and the offer of employment will be subject to the completion of these. In addition, the visa entry requirements for Singapore are subject to certain requirements being met. This includes but is not limited to, mandatory diphtheria and measles vaccination requirements for children attending school in Singapore will need to be in place prior to arriving in Singapore in order for the criteria for a child Dependent Pass to be met and the visa granted. Further information on this will be shared at interview stage if applicable.
For more details on the position and the application process, please visit https://www.gess.edu.sg/en/careers/jobs-at-our-international-school-in-singapore
The closing date for applications: 29 February 2024
Start date: 01 August 2024