< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Oct 21, 22
Nov 30, 22
QISS is a fully accredited international school which began in 1998.
QISS enjoys a proven track record of excellent learning outcomes, with students attending colleges around the world which are most appropriate for them. Our commitment to individualizing education is built around forming strong relationships and educating the whole child. We believe that every child can be a leader.
Our Mission is: To provide a dynamic learning environment, empowering students to be come life-ready leaders.
Our Vision is: To inspire a community of life-long learners who will approach and examine the world with integrity, inclusivity, compassion and creativity.
Our Motto is: Leading with a Mindful Heart
QISS is situated on a beautiful and spacious 48,000 square meter campus in the Laoshan district of Qingdao, framed by the spectacular Laoshan mountain range
QISS is fortunate to have facilities such as: Climbing wall, tennis and basketball courts, soccer field, table tennis room, swimming pool, fitness center, dance studio, kids playgrounds, and a 400 seat theatre.
Lower School Principal Job Description
Reports to: School Director
The principal will have excellent character and integrity. The principal shall have the experience and skills to work effectively with all community stakeholders: staff, students, parents, and the greater international school community. The ideal candidate will have a master’s degree, principal’s certification and prior leadership experience in international schools.
Highly Desired Skills and attributes:
- An effective communicator who has command of strong writing, presentation, speaking and listening skills
- Possesses the ability to easily develop positive relationships with all members of the QISS community as a result of being approachable, being an excellent listener and being an effective communicator to include capably presenting when both speaking and writing.
- One who can successfully build consensus across the school community while providing leadership which serves to further unify all constituent groups around the achievement of the QISS mission.
- One who models the capacity to provide leadership to developing high performing teams across the school through the use of agreed upon protocols for communication, interaction, consensus development and embracing of those strategies that promote 21st century teaching and learning.
- A leader with a demonstrated history of success in recruiting, retaining and further developing outstanding faculty, staff and administrators in support of the school’s mission.
- A person who embraces, respects, understands and values the culture of China, the broader Asian region and the diversity represented within the QISS school community.
- A leader who possesses the ability to creatively solve problems and consistently brings a solution-oriented approach to her/his work with members of the school community.
- A leader with a calming effect on constituents while inspiring and energizing to embrace changes that will translate into improved student learning experiences.
Overall Job Responsibilities
- Oversee day-to-day school operations
- Organize school events and assemblies
- Evaluate and manage foreign teaching staff in the Lower School (Toddler to G5)
- Monitor curriculum development
- Review and implement school policies
Living A Mission, Vision, and Beliefs Focused on Results:
- Creates and implements a vision that leads to student improvement for all learners
- Develops shared vision of rigor and high expectations
- Ensures vision and mission drive school decisions
- Confronts low expectations
- Conducts crucial conversations based on student performance data for purpose of enhancing student learning
Leading and Managing Systems Change:
- Develops, implements and monitors outcomes of school improvement plan and student achievement data to improve student learning
- Creates safe, clean, orderly learning environment
- Collaborates with staff to achieve school improvement plan targets
- Utilizes current technologies to support leadership and management functions
- Align resources to improve teaching and learning
- Utilizes and overseas Student Support Services (SST)
Improving Teaching and Learning:
- Works with and engages staff in shared vision for effective teaching and learning by implementing a standards based curriculum, relevant to student needs and interests, research-based effective practice, academic rigor, and high expectations for student learning in every classroom
- Implements curricular scope and sequence
- Reviews instructional practices
- Creates continuous improvement cycle
- Implements data guided decisions
- Implements data guided instruction
- Uses disaggregated data
- Assists the School Director to select and retain teachers that maximize student learning
- Evaluates the effectiveness of teaching and holds teachers accountable
- Ensures professional learning for teachers that enhance student learning
- Promotes use of technology to enhance student learning
Building and Maintaining Collaborative Relationships:
- Creates, develops and sustains relationships that result in active student engagement in the learning process
- Utilizes meaningful feedback of students, staff, families, and community in the evaluation of school programs and policies
- Proactively engages families and communities in support of child’s learning and school learning goals
- Demonstrates an understanding of the change process
- Strengthens collaboration with other schools, as well as local, regional, national and international communities
- Develop professional learning networks within schools, as well as local, regional, national and international communities
Leading with Integrity and Professionalism:
- Treats all people fairly and with dignity and respect. Protects the rights and confidentiality of students and staff
- Demonstrates personal and professional standards and conduct that enhance the image of the school and the education profession
- Creates and supports a climate that values, accepts, and understands diversity in culture and point of view.
- Recognizes strengths of diverse population
- Creates a culturally responsive climate
- Engages in courageous conversations about diversity
- Expands opportunities for all students to learn from and work with highly qualified and diverse staff
Creating and Sustaining a Culture of High Expectations:
- Builds a culture of high aspirations and achievement for every student
- Requires staff and students to demonstrate consistent values and positive behaviors aligned to the school’s vision and mission
- Leads a school culture and environment that successfully develops the full range of students’ learning capacities – academic, creative, social-emotional, behavioral, and physical
- Builds an environment that considers all aspects of wellness: physical, nutrition, health, safety, decisions and choices, mental as well as physical well-being
Salary and Benefits
Salary and benefits will be regionally competitive and commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. The package includes: salary, housing allowance, medical insurance, annual travel allowance, local transportation allowance, tuition for dependent children, and professional development opportunities.
QISS is aligned with the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child and the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection (ITFCP) that has set the standards for child safeguarding in schools worldwide.
At QISS, we adhere to the guidance and recommendations of the International Task Force for Child Protection:
“Schools have a duty of care to protect children and prevent them from harm, and act with a sense of urgency if a child is at risk of harm.” (ITFCP, 2014)
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At Qingdao No. 1 International School of Shandong Province (QISS), diversity is an integral part of our school and community culture. QISS acknowledges and celebrates the diversity of backgrounds and experiences in our school community. We are committed to creating a school community where all of our members of our school community are welcomed, accepted and treated equitably and with respect regardless of their backgrounds or personal attributes. By creating this school community culture, QISS community members can participate, achieve and thrive at school.
Candidates should submit the following to QISS Human Resources: Jade Yang (email@example.com) and QISS School Director Michael Page (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please include the following:
- A personalized cover letter stating why you will be a good candidate for the Lower School Principal position
- A current CV/resume not to exceed two pages
- A one page statement of philosophy or leadership
- List of 4 - 5 referees, including one from a current supervisor
The deadline is November 30th, however candidates should note that in the event that an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, QISS reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline.
Candidates who would like to learn more about the school are encouraged to visit the website: https://www.qiss.org.cn/