< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Nov 4, 19
Nov 30, 19
American School of Brasilia
Learners Inspiring Learners
Seeks: Middle School Principal (Grades 6-8)
Effective: July 2020
The American School of Brasilia (EAB) is seeking an exceptional educational leader for the position of Middle School Principal to begin July 2020. The Middle School Principal is a key member of EAB’s Leadership Team.
EAB’s CORE STATEMENTS:
OUR MISSION: Learners inspiring learners to be inquisitive in life, principled in character, and bold in vision.
OUR VISION: To positively impact the world through excellence in academics, activities, arts, leadership, and service.
OUR BELIEFS: All EAB Learners are:
- Engaged in their own learning,
- Principled in their learning and actions,
- Collaborative to enhance learning for all,
- Contributing positively to their learning community.
OUR SCHOOL: We are a diverse community that provides an English-language based pre-K through Grade 12 education. We are an International Baccalaureate World School with U.S. and Brazilian accreditation.
Organization: A Board of Directors, composed of at least 7 and at most 11 members with 2-year terms, governs the School. The board is self-perpetuating, with a standing committee responsible for nominating and training prospective candidates. The U.S. Ambassador appoints one member. The School is administered by a Head of School, three Principals, Brazilian Program Director, Advancement Director, Director of Teaching and Learning, Director of Technology, and a Business Manager.
Curriculum: The American School of Brasilia offers three (3) Diploma Programs: U.S., Brazilian, and International Baccalaureate (IB) all accredited through a K3-Grade 12 program based on a comprehensive college preparatory curriculum taught in English to students of all nationalities. EAB’s goal is to produce life-long learners who integrate the Five Pillars of Learning throughout their time at EAB: Academics, Activities, Service, Leadership, and Arts, so as to nurture responsible, successful, and contributing citizens in a complex and rapidly changing global society. Challenged to think creatively and critically, to communicate openly, to strive for excellence, and to grow academically and socially, our atmosphere fosters honesty and integrity as students develop their self-worth and potential.
Facilities: The School occupies a 5-acre campus with a panoramic view of Lake Paranoa. There are several interconnected buildings containing 45 classrooms, 4 science laboratories, 4 computer laboratories, a library, and a center for the arts. A cafeteria and a separate snack bar provide lunch and snacks after school. An official size soccer field, a fully equipped gymnasium, an additional covered basketball court, two outdoor courts, and two elementary playgrounds enhance the physical plant facilities.
THE POSITION DESCRIPTION
The Middle School Principal is the Learning Leader for the Grades 6-8 program and a key member of EAB’s Educational Leadership Team. The Principal provides leadership and management towards fulfilling the school’s mission, vision, and strategic plan with a focus on curriculum, instruction, supervision, evaluation, support of personnel, budget and facilities management, professional development, and communication.
- Advanced degree in Educational Administration or Leadership
- Educational administrative certification
- At least 3-5 years as a teacher and 3-5 years as a successful upper school principal or administrator in an international school setting
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma experience and modeling of IB Learner Profile
- Ability to effectively connect with diverse local and international populations through excellent written, verbal, and listening skills
- Demonstrated experience in engaging parents in the educational process
- Proven intercultural understanding and engagement with local culture
- Experience with standards-based curriculum design and assessment
- Commitment to high academic standards and instructional practices through inquiry-based learning and differentiation practices
- Experience supervising faculty and facilitating professional development
- Commitment to lifelong learning
- Experience collecting, storing, and analyzing data used to improve student learning
- Commitment to a whole-child educational experience through service learning, athletics, arts, environmental, and leadership co-curricular programs
- Student-centered, collaborative decision-maker guided by research, best practices, and mission
- Demonstrated leadership that is transparent, process orientated, and decisive, which is both results and people orientated
- Organized, efficient, and detail-oriented manager who effectively prioritizes and delegates
- Skilled in leading collaborative change processes through the building of strong relationships, empowerment of teams, and implementation of a strategic vision
- Committed to integration of technology to improve communication, instructional practices, and professional development
- Community Builder
- Critical thinker
- Sense of humor
- Communicates a clear vision and associated school improvement strategies to all stakeholders
- Develops and seeks the expertise of teacher leaders to improve school effectiveness through distributive leadership
- Supports the development of curriculum and improvement of instruction in conjunction with the Director of Teaching and Learning
- Actively ensures the five pillars of EAB’s educational program are effectively implemented: academics, arts, leadership, service learning, and activities
- Engages students, staff, parents, and the community to create and sustain a positive and safe learning environment through shared decision making and effective communication
- In conjunction with the Head of School, hires, orients, and mentors teachers
- In conjunction with the Director of Teaching and Learning, provides time, resources and structure for meaningful professional development that meets both teacher needs and school goals
- Monitors and evaluates teacher performance and establishes clear strategies and support structures towards ongoing development
- Manages both short-term and long-term planning associated with day-to-day school operations
Communication and Community Relations
- Communicates with colleagues, students, parents, and the greater community in an effective, clear, and proactive manner
Professionalism and the Principal
- Positively enhances school culture by personally modeling EAB’s core values: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and citizenship.
- Monitors student performance and supports instructional improvement strategies within the context of a continuous improvement plan that is guided by student achievement data
* Adapted from: Stronge, J., Richard, H., & Catano, N. (2008). Qualities of Effective Principals. Alexandria: ASCD.
An initial three-year, renewable contract with a competitive compensation and benefits package that is commensurate with the responsibilities of the position.
The deadline for submitting an application is November 30, 2019. Candidates are asked to submit the requested materials listed below as early as possible as the Search Committee reserves the right to close the selection process at any time if the right candidate is found. Online interviews will be conducted with selected candidates. Finalist candidates will be asked to visit campus as part of the selection process.
Candidates are to send an email to email@example.com with a single PDF file that includes the following items:
- Letter of intent, outlining interest in the position and associated strengths (max one page)
- Resume (max two pages)
- Statement about educational philosophy and leadership style (max one page)
- List of references with current addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, and professional title (max one page)
A GLANCE AT EAB: