Qatar Academy is seeking an exceptional educational leader for its Middle School to commence August 1, 2014.
The Qatar Academy community is seeking applications from individuals motivated to advance best practices and foster teaching excellence in Middle School Education. At Qatar Academy, the Middle School Principal will be responsible for the management of the Middle School program. As a member of the Leadership Team, the Middle School Principal will be a key driver in the refinement and implementation of the school’s strategic vision for Middle School Education within Qatar. A detailed description of the position including qualifications, attributes and responsibilities is included at the end of this document.
Qatar Academy (QA) is one of the Middle East’s premier educational institutions. QA is an International Baccalaureate World School also accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and the Council of International Schools. The school offers academic excellence in Early Years, Primary Years, Middle Years and IB Diploma programs based on the principle that education involves the development of a student’s cognitive, physical, social, moral and affective capabilities.
A dynamic classroom curriculum combined with community and service programs, experiential education, and extra-curricular activities enable students to participate in and reflect on the educational journey from Early Years through Grade 12. Students are a respected part of the learning process shared with parents and teachers. They are encouraged to be risk takers, ask questions and confidently seek answers.
Qatar Academy does not just educate. QA prepares students for work, life and leadership in their own communities and society at large.
The Middle School has developed its own curriculum centered around the principles of the IB Middle Years Program.
The Middle School division is an enhancement of QA’s existing Senior School. It will comprise Grades 6-8 beginning in 2014-15; up through 2013-14 those grade levels were incorporated within the Grades 6-12 Senior School. Also beginning in 2014-15, the Middle School will run single-gender classes for the majority of the school day; Arts, Technology and Language B classes will continue to be mixed-gender. The Middle School has an excellent facility with highly qualified faculty. The Middle School caters for a large percentage of children from the host country of Qatar.
A highly committed staff of local and international teachers, administrators, and support staff make the school a warm and welcoming environment for students and parents alike.
Qatar Academy was founded in 1998 to provide quality international education opportunities to the local community. The school is part of the Qatar Foundation, a vision of Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser. The school has had rapid growth over the last several years and the Early Years to Grade 12 classes are currently at capacity.
Doha is the capital of Qatar – a sovereign Arab state – located in Western Asia and occupying the small Qatar Peninsula on the northeasterly coast of the Arabian Peninsula. Its sole land border is with Saudi Arabia to the south, with the rest of its territory surrounded by the Arabian Gulf. The Al Thani family has ruled Qatar since the mid-19th century. Formerly a British protectorate noted mainly for pearling, it became independent in 1971, and has become one of the region's wealthiest states due to its enormous oil and natural gas revenues.
The school is located within Qatar Foundation (QF), which was founded in 1995 by decree of His Highness Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Emir of Qatar . The current Emir is his son, His Highness Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani. Qatar Foundation is chaired by Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser. Its aim is to "support Qatar on its journey from a carbon economy to a knowledge economy by unlocking human potential".
Qatar Foundation carries out this mission through three "pillars": education, science and research, and community development. QF’s work in the education field has brought a number of international universities to Qatar to help develop an education sector in which young people can develop the attitudes and skills required for a knowledge economy. Its main science and research agenda is to build Qatar's innovation and technology capacity by developing and commercializing solutions through key sciences. Its community development programs aim to help foster a progressive society, while also enhancing the cultural landscape, protecting Qatar's heritage and addressing immediate social needs in the community.
Current enrolment for Qatar Academy is 1680 from Early Years to Grade 12. Approximately 60% of the student population is Qatari.
It is the mission of Qatar Academy (QA) to provide internationally accepted, comprehensive, English medium programs plus Arabic and Islamic studies from preschool through to secondary graduation. QA develops independent critical thinkers, lifelong learners, responsible citizens, and empowers students to gain entrance to elite universities and colleges.
Qatar Academy exists to provide the highest possible standard of education, and to achieve academic excellence for each student, develop independent critical thinkers, lifelong learners and responsible citizens.
Qatar Academy will meet the educational needs and expectations of our students, and aspire to provide those opportunities that our students need to develop to their full potential through:
- achieving academic excellence through varied teaching and learning strategies
- providing for and maintaining the highest standards through continuous evaluation and improvement of all programs
- providing a well-rounded education for the highest standards of academic, physical, social and cultural growth and development
- employing an appropriate admissions policy to ensure that only students of the highest ability, who will benefit from the Academy’s programs, will be admitted
- providing consistently challenging targets, so that each student realizes his/her full potential
- teaching the most appropriate, internationally accredited syllabuses
- providing a safe and supportive environment in which to learn
- encouraging the virtues of self-respect and respect for others
- embracing and utilizing Information Communication Technology to ensure students can succeed in a rapidly changing world
- providing a wide-range of extra-curricular opportunities for students to develop outside the academic sphere
- emphasizing that good communication between all parties is fundamental to the efficient running of the school
- promoting management which is supportive and enabling, committed to the development of all people in the organization and to constant improvement
- promoting an appreciation of various traditions and values, including Arab culture and language, and
- working in partnership with parents, colleges and the local community