< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Oct 15, 21
Nov 30, 21
Al-Bayan Bilingual School
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Seeks a Preschool Principal
Effective: August 2022
Application Deadline: November 30, 2021
Al-Bayan Bilingual School (BBS) was established in 1977 with a vision to prepare students for the world of today and the challenges of tomorrow. BBS is a private, non-profit, coeducational, university preparatory school that offers education from pre-K through to 12th grade. The school offers a bilingual program in which Arabic and English languages carry equal emphasis and status; its goal is to bridge global progress with the traditional values of Arab culture.
The mission states, “BBS is an Arabic and English learning community nurturing compassionate and innovative students, leading sustainable change and progress in Kuwait and the global environment.”
BBS is fully accredited by The Council of International Schools (Netherlands), the New England Association of Schools & Colleges (USA) and the Ministry of Education (Kuwait) since 1989. The school received its renewed accreditation in 2021.
The student body consists of approximately 2,650 students, primarily Kuwaiti nationals, and other students who are bilingual speakers of English and Arabic. One hundred percent of the students graduate, and all of them attend colleges and universities. Over 85% are accepted in educational institutions in the United States, Europe and the remainder go to universities in the Gulf Region. In recent years BBS' students have been accepted to a significant number of the world's leading colleges and universities including the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University. Since 2011, our students have been admitted to 19 of the top 50 universities on the Academic Ranking of World Universities.
BBS continuously works on developing and documenting the school’s curricula. This process is led by the Curriculum Manager, assisted by two Curriculum Specialists. The process began with the selection of standards and benchmarks for each department. The Arabic subjects follow the curriculum set by the Kuwait Ministry of Education. For English, BBS officially adopted the 2007 Revised Ontario English Curriculum, created by the Ministry of Education, Ontario, Canada. This curriculum focuses on 4 main areas of language: Oral Communication, Reading, Writing, and Media Studies. In Preschool, the Ontario, Canada Kindergarten program is broken down into a 3-year program with the standards assigned to each grade level from Pre-K to KG2 for Reading, Writing and Oral Language. The Math department follows the Common Core Standards. Emphasis in the CCSSI curricula is on the understanding and application of processes and proficiencies of longstanding importance in mathematics at all levels. The Science department follows the BBS Science standards and benchmarks which have been created to meet our needs as a bilingual school. The Pre-K Program is inspired by the Reggio Emilia approach, and does not include academics. It is a program to enhance a child’s critical thinking skills and to encourage him/her to explore his surroundings.
Currently, all departments have their curriculum documented on Rubicon Atlas using the Understanding by Design framework. Using this framework has helped the school move away from teaching the facts and towards the application of facts in new and challenging situations.
The school offers an extensive and popular extracurricular activity and sports program. Current activities include: volleyball, basketball, soccer, track and field, badminton, business simulations, Model United Nations, National Honor Society, student government, English and Arabic drama, and science fairs. An after-school club for KG children provides them with an opportunity to engage in extra-curricular activities, where they have a variety of fun things to do after school.
In recent years, Al-Bayan has expanded to meet an increasing demand for student placement. BBS operates on a well-equipped campus in the Hawalli suburb of Kuwait City. The campus houses students from Pre-K-12. The facilities include spacious learning spaces, four gymnasiums, a theater, clinics, media centers, makerspace, multipurpose rooms of various sizes, ten science laboratories, a canteen, a mosque, and sports facilities. As part of our IT infrastructure, all of our staff and students have access to Wi-Fi on campus to support the BYOD program in Middle School and High School and the iPad program in Preschool and Elementary School. To support the Reggio Emilia program, the campus has an atelier, a light and sound room and a sand and water room.
The beginning of the 2021-2022 school year has seen BBS commence work on its new 4-year strategic plan. The plan’s objectives focus on:
- Student health and wellbeing
- Student learning and achievement
- Intercultural learning
- People and culture
The academic calendar for faculty is mid-August to mid-June. The year is divided into two semesters as follows:
September – December (1st Semester)
January – June (2nd Semester)
The Preschool (pre-K-kindergarten 2) is one of the four divisions at BBS. The Preschool Principal, who reports to the Director, serves as the instructional leader for 545 students and 70 staff. The Preschool Principal has the support of an Assistant Principal, Grade Level Coordinators, an Administrative Assistant, and a Receptionist. The division also has the support of a Nurse, 2 Counselors, Learning Support Specialist, Instructional & IT Coaches from our Teaching & Learning Center, Teacher Assistants, Helpers and Nannies. The Educational Affairs & HR Departments support the principal with curriculum, instructional technology and staff professional development matters.
As generalists, Preschool teachers teach English, Art and Science in an integrated process. Students have instructional blocks of English instruction for a minimum of 100 minutes and then a nutrition break and recess. After recess children rotate to the other language of instruction teacher (Arabic). Each teacher has two classes with a maximum of 20 students in each class. In English classes, the student-teacher ratio is 10:1. Once a week students receive PE and Music classes. Music is offered in English and Arabic. Teachers are actively supported by teacher assistants in every classroom.
The Search Committee is looking for an educator with international experience who wishes to live and work in the Middle East. The Committee is searching for an individual who has a strong academic background in early childhood education as well as experience as a Preschool Principal.
- Master’s degree with specialization in early childhood education, administration or related fields
- Certification in Educational Administration
- Previous experience as a Preschool Principal
- International experience working in a bilingual school with a clear understanding of issues involved in living and working in a country other than one’s own, preferred
- Academic training and experience in the American or Canadian educational system with at least five years of successful classroom teaching
- Experience in improving the Preschool program of study, preferred
- Experience in implementing the principles and current trends in early childhood education, curriculum, staff development, essential elements of instruction and supervision
- Knowledge and experience with Reggio Emilia approaches in early childhood education.
Planning and organizing:
- Establishes goals and organizes work
- Identifies and plans activities that will result in the overall improvement of the division
- Challenges inefficient of ineffective work processes and offers constructive alternatives
- Listens to others and communicates in an effective manner
- Communicates issues clearly and credibly with various stakeholders
- Uses a variety of communication systems and strategies for the different stakeholders
- Delivers messages with clarity, tact and diplomacy
- Encourages the staff to achieve high education standards for BBS students
- Identifies ways to add value to students
- Develops strategies to ensure the staff meets the school’s standards
- Anticipates and takes action to avoid and reduce potential conflict
- Helps stakeholders focus on the end goals and away from personality issues
- Fosters a learning culture
- Works with Preschool staff to define development goals
- Provides feedback and support to staff through regular evaluations
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To actively promote the school mission and support the direction of the school
- To actively promote the values of the school and implementation of policy among faculty
- To share and promote the school’s goals and establish clear personal goals
- To plan and execute all aspects of future Preschool development as agreed with the Director
- To examine scheduling formats and implement the most appropriate model for the school
- To monitor the academic progress of students through continual assessment
- To monitor and utilize available school instructional technology to inform decision- making
- Ensure the safety and welfare of all students and adults in the Preschool
- To plan and develop a strong support and methodological program for faculty
- To ensure that the Reggio Emilia inspired curriculum is effectively carried out in accordance with school policy
- To organize and allocate spending within the divisional budget
- To carry out the recommendations of accreditation bodies as agreed with the Director as well as manage the participation of Preschool staff in the process of formulating the accreditation reports
- To interview and recruit faculty as required
- To evaluate the Preschool staff and take action accordingly
- To meet with the administrative team to ensure the maximum cooperation between school divisions
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- A two-year initial contract – renewals are for additional 2-year periods (as agreed by both parties)
- Competitive tax-free salary, with a generous end of service gratuity/indemnity
- International Health insurance for candidate and accompanying spouse, children below 18 years of age
- Fully furnished housing, including utilities
- Annual flight for candidate and accompanying spouse, children below 18 years of age
- Tuition fee covered for children enrolled at BBS
- Personal shipping allowance, and settling in allowance
- Transportation allowance
- Support for club membership
- Support for ongoing professional development
PROCEDURE FOR FILING AN APPLICATION
Candidates who meet the above requirements and wish to apply for the Preschool Principal position must submit their application electronically to the Recruitment Manager at email@example.com with “PS Principal – SA candidate” stated in the “subject line” before the deadline. The application should include the following attachments:
- A one-page statement of educational philosophy
- A letter of interest which includes the strengths the candidate feels qualify him/her for consideration for the position
- Updated resume/CV with a recent photograph
- A list of at least 3 professional referees. The school’s search committee will advise semi-finalist candidates before contacting any referees.
The position is open until filled. Interviews with shortlisted applicants will be held in November/early December. Please note the Search Committee could make their decision earlier if an exceptional candidate applies. Finalist candidates will be identified by the Search Committee and will be interviewed with their spouses, if applicable, in Kuwait in January by the Search Committee. Finalists will have the opportunity to meet with faculty, parents, students, and nonteaching staff. The new Principal will be selected soon after the conclusion of the interviews.
We are committed to providing a safe and happy environment for all our employees and in which our students can thrive and learn. We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all our employees and students. All employees are subject to background checks and appropriate vetting procedures including satisfactory criminal record checks from both country of residence/home country and any other country of residence.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity.
Candidates wishing to learn more about Al-Bayan Bilingual School should visit www.bbs.edu.kw.