< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Oct 26, 19
Dec 30, 19
The Canadian International School of Singapore seeks a
Primary Maths Coordinator
For the 2020-2021 School Year
Starting Date: July 20, 2020
Application Deadline: December 30. 2019
While the closing date for this competition is December 30, 2019, CIS reserves the right to appoint earlier than the published deadline should an outstanding candidate emerge. Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their application at the earliest possible opportunity.
CIS is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all who work and learn with us. All applicants must be willing to undergo rigorous child protection screening, including reference checks with past employers not listed on the candidate’s resume and Disclosure and barring service checks.
CIS will provide extraordinary learning opportunities for the globally connected student. A nurturing environment, an international curriculum, and a culturally diverse community will facilitate exceptional achievements. Together we will take action to make the world a better place.
Engage Enlighten Empower
Collaboration Curiosity Creativity
Generosity Respect Excellence
The Ideal Candidate
You are an outstanding educational leader who has demonstrated an unwavering commitment to the teaching and learning principles articulated in both the International Baccalaureate programme and CIS vision, mission and values throughout your career.You bring a research-based focus to teaching and learning and are an expert in using data to analyze student achievement and develop appropriate programs, strategies and interventions.
About Our School
The Canadian International School of Singapore (CIS) began in 1990. It is an IB continuum school with a population of approximately 3,400 students from over 70 nationalities Nursery to grade 12. The Lakeside Primary School serves a Nursery - Grade 6 student population of roughly 2,500 students. Our Tanjong Katong Primary School campus serves a student population of approximately 750 students Nursery to Grade 6
The school boasts impressive facilities, including large classrooms connected to learning pods, a 50 m outdoor pool, a 500 seat auditorium and a library. We combine state-of-the-art classrooms, learning pods, and other learning spaces to support our inquiry-based approach and encourage a strong sense of community.
The Primary Maths Coordinator works closely with the principals of both primary campuses, PYP coordinators, leads and teachers to support curriculum implementation and best practices in classroom instruction.
The Primary Maths Coordinator is responsible for planning, coordinating and implementing all aspects of our primary numeracy program focused on improving student achievement.
The coordinator will support teachers in developing mathematics through the curriculum and support the delivery of targeted professional learning to ensure consistency and efficiency in curriculum delivery.
As part of their responsibilities, the coordinator will work with staff, students and parents to assist all students in reaching their academic potential.
Assess the numeracy needs of the school by reviewing student data, curricular goals, student characteristics, instructional practice strengths and areas of improvement, and learning about the needs of the staff.
- Design an Action plan outlining specific targets in the teaching of mathematics and a timeline in which to achieve the objectives
- Use data to drive instruction, develop differentiated lessons and meet the needs of all learners.
- Facilitate small and large group discussions about instructional practices and how they impact student learning.
- Conduct ongoing evaluations of numeracy improvement actions and communicate the results to teachers and administrators.
- Meet with school leadership frequently to discuss goals, progress, and areas in need of improvement
- Support teachers as they choose materials and instructional strategies to meet the needs of all students.
- Connect teachers to the most current research in the field of numeracy.
- Model lessons while teachers actively observe. Reflect with teachers after the model lesson.
- Observe and provide feedback to teachers about instruction
- Reflect with teachers on the observed lesson, linking comments to the needs assessment of the school.
- Conduct regular meetings with teachers to examine student work
- Map the provision and delivery of mathematical skills across the curriculum
- Facilitate mathematics moderation to create exemplars based on success criteria and learning outcomes
- Create an inventory of mathematical equipment in the school
- At least five years of successful teaching experience in a PYP setting
- A Postgraduate degree in education preferred with a focus on Maths education
- A strong understanding of recent research and best practice related to numeracy
- An outstanding practitioner and teacher of mathematics
- An inspirational educator - self-directed with in-depth knowledge of PYP, instruction, and learning, who can coach others to grow professionally
- An effective communicator who can listen, empathize, and connect, as well as teach, present, and motivate
- A facilitator who can forge healthy and productive relationships with students, parents, teachers, and the community
- A change agent who is flexible and realistic
- A collaborator whose contributions lead to the success of others
How to Apply
Applicants are requested to send the information listed below as a single pdf file attachment to:
Mr. Peter Corcoran
Head of School
The application package must include as a single pdf:
- A one-page letter of application outlining your strengths why you are interested in applying for this position.
- A current resume not to exceed two pages and including a recent picture
- A one-page statement outlining your educational philosophy and leadership style
- A one-page list of references with the business, home phone numbers and email addresses of three school administrators with whom you have worked, including the current head of school and current principal.
Additional information about our school is available on the school’s web site at www.cis.edu.sg