< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Sep 19, 19
Oct 25, 19
Primary School Expat Principal
GLOBAL JAYA SCHOOL
Position Posted Sept 18, 2019
Deadline October 25, 2019
To Begin July 23, 2020
Established in 1995, Global Jaya School (GJS) has a history of consistent growth and positive change, as well as an ongoing commitment to offering a quality international education program. In its inaugural year, the school accommodated 107 students, supporting their learning with three Early Years buildings, outdoor play areas, a swimming pool, and a multi-purpose gymnasium. The national system of Indonesia and guidelines from the Ministry of Education and Culture provided the basis for our curriculum. Over the years, GJS established an international curriculum and worked diligently to become accredited by the International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). GJS is proud to offer the IB Continuum: Primary Years, Middle Years, and Diploma programmes. Now, in the 25th year of its journey, Global Jaya School has distinguished itself as a top IB World School in Indonesia and throughout Southeast Asia. We are acknowledged and respected for our commitment to delivering excellent academic and extracurricular programs that prepare students to participate in the international community as valuable team members and leaders.
Global Jaya School is a non-denominational community that encourages and teaches respect for others by valuing Indonesian culture while embracing international cultural awareness and understanding. Our school implements an international curriculum that fully supports mother tongue language development. Our emphasis on community and inclusion makes it an ideal environment for all members of our community.
Current enrolment for Global Jaya School is 786 students from Kindergarten (Early Years) to Year 12, with 331 students in Primary and 455 in Secondary. Currently, 81% of the Global Jaya School student population is Indonesian (inclusive of dual nationals) with the remaining 19% registered as foreign passport holders. Our expatriate group comprises 16 nationalities, with a strong Asian presence, as well as North Americans, Europeans & Australians. Our parents come from a wide variety of professional backgrounds including, but not limited to, top management in multinational corporations, teachers, political figures, business owners, and celebrities.
Our current faculty consists of 146 professional educators from Indonesia and abroad. Thirty-nine expat teachers, from 10 different countries, helps provide an international perspective and reflects our school's motto: Gateway to the World.
The national motto of the Republic of Indonesia is “Bhinneka Tunggal”, translates as Unity in Diversity. The school’s culture and sense of community show our commitment to this belief. The majority of families who make up our community live nearby in South Jakarta or one of its suburbs. Others commute longer distances or purchase housing for their children in one of the surrounding neighborhoods so they can attend our school. Our expatriate teachers bring a wealth of international experience to the school, but so do our parents, many having worked or attended universities overseas.
CAMPUS AND FACILITIES
The school’s campus is in a developed residential area outside the capital city of Jakarta, in the beautiful Bintaro Jaya area within South Tangerang. Global Jaya School resides on a 17-acre purpose-built campus that includes: ample classrooms, a soccer pitch, an indoor gymnasium, outdoor basketball courts, covered tennis courts, a well-appointed library, outdoor playing fields and playgrounds, design and computer labs, science labs, an outdoor covered canteen, outdoor swimming pool, and a Theatre/Fine-Arts Complex.
The Primary School Expatriate Principal works in collaboration with the Primary School Indonesian Principal to drive, refine, and implement the school’s strategic vision for the Primary School section.
The Primary School Expatriate Principal is responsible for the following.
- Facilitates strategies to improve classroom instruction and increase student achievement.
- Connects research-based initiatives and innovative strategies to maximize the achievement of each learner.
- Monitors and evaluates the use of assessments to guide instructional practices and provide timely and accurate feedback to students and parents.
- Demonstrates and supports the importance of professional development by providing adequate time and resources for teachers and staff to participate in professional learning.
- Coordinates with the Curriculum Coordinator and Secondary Principals concerning whole school initiatives, professional development, and curriculum alignment.
- Analyzes data from multiple sources to inform decision-making related to student academic growth and school improvement.
- Provides evidence that students are meeting appropriate and measurable achievement goals.
- Reporting student assessment results to appropriate stakeholders.
- Oversees the Primary School improvement plan that results in increased student academic progress.
Communication and Community Relations:
- Communicates goals and the school improvement plan to staff within their area of responsibility.
- Monitors and advises student behavioral and academic progress concerns and strategies
- Monitors and counsels on the implementation of programs utilized by the Primary School Counselor and Learning Diversity Specialist.
- Edits and advises on all outgoing documentation, including class letters and student reports.
- Advises the admission testing and screening process of new students.
- Cultivates and reinforces the positive, engaging, and balanced learning environment within the school.
- Involves others in a way that empowers students to take responsibility for their growth and development.
- Works to create and sustain a positive, safe, and healthy learning environment.
- Respects and promotes the concept of the “whole child” and the appreciation of international-mindedness and diversity.
- Articulates the vision and mission to the school community, ensuring school activities are in harmony with the expressed values of the school and the International Baccalaureate.
Human Resources Leadership:
- Implements the evaluation system per policy and procedure to ensure teacher and staff effectiveness.
- Monitors staff and teacher well-being within their area of responsibility.
- Provides timely formal, and informal, feedback to staff and faculty.
- Oversees the PYP Coordinator, Learning Diversity Specialist, Sports Coordinator, Curriculum Leaders, and all teachers (including the allocation of faculty to classes).
- Assists in the recruitment of local and foreign hire faculty.
- Ensures that rules and procedures provide a safe, secure, efficient, and orderly learning environment.
- Identifies and plans for organizational, operational, and resource-related issues and resolves them in a timely, consistent, and effective manner.
- Requests, monitors, and allocates resources under his/her control to maximize improvement aligned to the school’s mission and goals.
- Involves the staff and stakeholders in various planning processes, shares in management decisions, and delegates duties, as applicable.
The above list comprises the primary duties and responsibilities of the post. Other duties may be assigned by the Head of School to undertake work of a similar level not specified in this job description.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s Degree (Educational Administration / or Primary Education preferred).
- Appropriate Administrative License (emphasis in Educational Administration preferred).
- Minimum of ten successful years of educational experience (Teaching and Administrative combined)
- Significant experience in leading a PYP school.
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication, leadership, and conflict resolution skills required.
- Experience working in a school culture that supports English Language learners preferred.
- Indonesian law limits work visas to those fifty-eight years old or younger. Practically speaking, candidates should not be more than 54 when starting a contract.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate and with similar positions at other schools of comparable size in the region. Benefits include a tax-free salary, furnished housing, utility allowance, health care, personal accident insurance, annual home leave, shipping allowance, tuition benefits for Kindergarten – Year 12 school-age dependents. Following the probationary period, the performance of this position will be evaluated annually following provisions of the Board's policy on evaluation of licensed personnel.
Candidates wishing to learn more about Global Jaya School can visit our website at www.globaljaya.com.
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to send a letter of application outlining interest and strengths as a candidate, current resume with a recent photograph, educational philosophy and leadership statement, along with the contact details of current professional referees including current Head of School and, if applicable, Principal. All of the items mentioned above are requested to be scanned into a single pdf attachment and e-mailed directly to Mr. Cory Carson at email@example.com with the subject heading of “Primary School Expatriate Principal Application.”
The deadline for applications is October 25, 2019. The review of submissions will begin as soon as applications are received. Candidates should note that Global Jaya School reserves the right to make an appointment at any time if an exceptional candidate is identified early in the process. For this reason, interested candidates are encouraged to apply at the earliest possible time.
Global Jaya School promotes and protects the safety and well-being of all who learn and work with us and expects all who apply to share in this commitment. Offers of interview and employment will be subject to an enhanced background, and criminal records check.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.