< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Ann LE DIRAISON
Jan 17, 14
Jan 31, 14
The International School of Paris is looking for:
a Primary School Principal – Ref: PP030314
to cover for the maternity leave period of the current Primary School Principal.
- Masters degree in Administration/Education
- Experience as an Administrator in a PYP authorized school
- Preferably working knowledge of French and European work papers
Please send a curriculum vitae, cover letter, and names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees to firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference number PP030314 in the subject line of your message.
Deadline: January 31st, 2014
Preferred staring date: Early March 2014 – However, the school is willing to also consider an August 2014 starting date
Ending date: December 31st, 2014.
The International School of Paris
ISP Vision, Mission & Philosophy
The Vision for the International School of Paris is to benefit from the diversity of its community in creating well-educated, internationally-minded citizens.
The Mission of ISP is to create a challenging and motivating English-speaking environment where students and staff from around the world use the programs of the International Baccalaureate Organization and work in harmony to develop every student’s full intellectual and human potential.
- Every student has an individual and a cultural set of experiences, skills and interests which must be considered in the teaching and learning process.
- A diverse student body enriches the School community and provides a wealth of experience and resources.
- A thorough education includes the development of the qualities of compassion, tolerance, respect for the rights and cultures of all people, the skills for the peaceful resolution of conflict, and the development of environmental responsibility.
- School should prepare young people to provide leadership to meet the global challenges of the 21st century.
- School should foster an atmosphere of academic excellence and encourage intellectual inquiry and critical thinking.
- Achievement in the physical, expressive and creative arts is an essential part of a holistic education.
- The School is a community, and social awareness, thoughtful interaction and effective communication among students, parents and staff are fundamental to its wellbeing.
Description of the School
The International School of Paris is a successful Nursery – Grade 12 school, founded in 1964 to provide an education in English for the diplomatic and business communities in Paris. We are the only English-speaking school within the city of Paris with Pre-primary, Primary and Secondary School sections. We are located in six buildings in the 16th arrondissement with the Secondary School being near Trocadéro Park and the Primary School 15 minutes walk away. This is very close to many embassies and headquarters of international companies and is consequently very convenient for families living in or near Paris. The majority of parents are in Paris because of their professional background and have high academic aspirations for their children. Almost all of our graduates go on to university, either in their own country, or in the UK or the USA.
We have more than 60 nationalities represented in a student body of about 700, and the school therefore offers a rich, multicultural educational experience. Our classes are small (5-24 students), allowing a close student-teacher rapport. We are the only school in France authorized to offer all three of the International Baccalaureate programmes – PYP, MYP and Diploma.
PRE-PRIMARY AND PRIMARY SCHOOL (ages 3 to 11): The school has offered the IB Primary Years Programme since the authorization in June 2004. The latest PYP evaluation visit took place in 2012. ISP’s Primary School is a warm, friendly learning environment where, in addition to developing the skills and attributes of the PYP, we use the scope and sequence documents of the PYP for all subject areas.
SECONDARY SCHOOL (ages 11 to 18): The IB Middle Years Programme is in place in Grades 6 – 10 and we were authorized in March 2003. We have offered the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme since 1985. We are the only school in the Paris area to concentrate exclusively on the IB Diploma, and our results are always above the world average, with a large number of bilingual Diplomas awarded.
ISP was re-accredited by the Council of International School (CIS) in 2012.
Outside the classroom we offer a varied roster of after-school activities including soccer, basketball, baseball, table tennis, theatre, Model United Nations, yearbook, band, choir, student council, Environment Club and others. Teachers are encouraged to contribute to the pastoral and extra-curricular activities.
Primary School Principal
The Primary School Principal is a member of the Leadership Team, reporting directly to the Head of School. He/she is responsible for supporting, facilitating, motivating and organizing the work of the Primary School. He/she has oversight of the Primary School curriculum and the pastoral welfare of the Primary School students (Grades N-5). He/she acts as the Head’s representative or delegate in all matters specifically related to the Primary School. He/she participates in, but is not ultimately responsible for, teacher recruitment (which remains the Head’s responsibility.) He/she actively participates in the policy development of the school in general, and of the Primary School in particular.
The functions of the Primary School Principal are to:
- Advise and assist in formulating policies and procedures for the smooth running of the Primary School.
- Ensure that the Primary School has a well-organised curriculum, articulated from Grades Nursery-5.
- Ensure that the supervision, observation and appraisal of teaching staff are carried out in order to maintain and improve teacher performance.
- Ensure effective communication within the Primary School and its stakeholders, promoting good public relations.
- Liaise with, and promote good public relations with other educational institutions and agencies.
- Oversee the purchasing of educational supplies for the Primary School, within the budget.
- Maintain student discipline and oversee student welfare.
The responsibilities of the Primary School Principal are:
Oversight of the curriculum, Grades N-5
- management of holders of additional responsibility and specialist teachers.
- oversight of curriculum innovation.
- development and implementation of the Primary School curriculum.
These responsibilities will be carried out in consultation with the IB Primary Years Programme Coordinator, Vice-Principals, Grade Level Coordinators and teachers.
The pastoral welfare of Primary School students
This responsibility will be carried out in consultation with the Grade Teachers, the VP in charge of wellbeing, and the learning resource specialist.
Ensuring appropriate admission and placement of Primary School students in conjunction with the Admissions Team and Head of School
Day-to day running of the Primary School
- Organizing the daily activities of the school in collaboration with the Vice-Principals.
- Organizing special events - Open Houses, Parent-Teacher conferences, social events, etc. (in co-operation with the Administrative assistants, Vice Principals, Grade Level Coordinators and teachers).
- Ensuring the safety of the staff, students and visitors.
The provision of resources, matching students with classes, rooms and teaching resources
- Ensuring that all classrooms are fully equipped.
- Ensuring that the buildings are well decorated, clean and tidy.
- Advising the Head of School and Building Maintenance staff on the maintenance of the Primary School buildings.
- Supervision/appraisal of all Primary School administrative personnel and administrative activities.
- Supervision/appraisal of all Primary School Middle Management staff and all teachers.
- Overseeing the preparation of the Primary School timetable and all Extended Curriculum Activities scheduling.
The list of functions and responsibilities above is not exhaustive, and responsibilities may evolve according to developing needs of the school.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.