< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Primary School Principal
International School of Paris (France)
Jan 10, 19
Jan 31, 19
Primary School Principal
Founded in 1964, the International School of Paris (ISP) is the first school in France to offer all three International Baccalaureate programmes: the Primary Years Programme (Nursery to Grade 5), the Middle Years Programme (Grades 6 to 10) and the IB Diploma Programme (Grades 11 and 12). The school is accredited by CIS/NEASC and draws on its considerable experience and expertise to offer an academically challenging, socially engaged and culturally rich education for 700 students in the heart of one of the world’s most important cities.
The Primary School, located in two beautifully renovated townhouses in the 16th arrondissement of Paris, comprises 288 children, ages 3-11, who represent 46 nationalities.
The Primary School Principal is a member of the whole school Leadership Team, reporting directly to the Head of School. S/he is responsible for supporting, facilitating, motivating and organizing the work of the Primary School. S/he has oversight of the Primary School curriculum and the pastoral welfare of the Primary School students (Grades N-5). S/he acts as the Head’s representative or delegate in all matters specifically related to the Primary School. S/he participates in, but is not ultimately responsible for, teacher recruitment (which remains the Head’s responsibility.) S/he actively participates in the policy and strategic developments of the school in general, and of the Primary School in particular.
The functions of the Primary School Principal are to:
- Contribute to the implementation of the school’s philosophy, vision and mission.
- Lead the execution of the Strategic and Action plans.
- Advise and assist in formulating policies and procedures for the smooth running of the Primary School.
- Ensure that the Primary School has a well-organised curriculum, articulated from Nursery to Grade 5.
- Ensure that the supervision, observation and appraisal of teaching staff are carried out in order to maintain and improve teacher performance.
- Ensure effective communication within the Primary School and its stakeholders, promoting good public relations.
- Liaise with, and promote good public relations with other educational institutions and agencies.
- Oversee the purchasing of educational supplies for the Primary School, within the budget.
- Maintain student discipline and oversee student welfare.
The responsibilities of the Primary School Principal are:
Oversight of the curriculum, Grades N-5
- Management of holders of additional responsibility and specialist teachers.
- Oversight of curriculum innovation.
- Development and implementation of the Primary School curriculum.
These responsibilities will be carried out in consultation with the IB Primary Years Programme Coordinator, Vice-Principals, Grade Level Coordinators and teachers.
Pastoral welfare of Primary School students
This responsibility will be carried out in consultation with the Grade Teachers, the Vice-Principal in charge of wellbeing, and the Student Services Coordinator.
Appropriate admission and placement of Primary School students in conjunction with the Admissions Team and Head of School
Day-to-day running of the Primary School
- Organizing the daily activities of the school in collaboration with the Vice-Principals.
- Organizing special events - Open Houses, Parent-Teacher conferences, social events, etc. (in co-operation with the Administrative assistants, Vice Principals, Grade Level Coordinators and teachers).
- Ensuring the safety of the staff, students and visitors.
Provision of resources, matching students with classes, rooms and teaching resources
- Ensuring that all classrooms are fully equipped.
- Ensuring that the buildings are well decorated, clean and tidy.
- Advising the Head of School and Building Maintenance staff on the maintenance of the Primary School buildings.
- Supervision/appraisal of all Primary School administrative personnel and administrative activities.
- Supervision/appraisal of all Primary School Middle Management staff and all teachers.
- Overseeing the preparation of the Primary School timetable and all Extended Curriculum Activities scheduling.
The list of functions and responsibilities above is not exhaustive, and responsibilities may evolve according to developing needs of the school.
The Primary School Principal will ideally:
- have a Masters in Education or an equivalent degree.
- have 5 years of experience as Principal in a PYP School in Europe.
- have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- have basic working knowledge of French.
- demonstrate collaborative leadership, supporting both the Head of School and his/her colleagues.
- understand the marketing of an International School.
- understand the issues that international schools face.
- be a visionary, motivating, listener and supportive leader to his/her employees.
- always put students and learning at the center of all decisions.
Contract terms and conditions:
Primary School Principal will be working over 212 working days.
The position requires flexible hours to accommodate evening/weekend meetings and events. The salary will be competitive and depend on experience and qualifications.
Preferred starting date: July 2019
Please send a curriculum vitae, cover letter, and names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 31st, 2019.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.