< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Dec 20, 19
Feb 15, 20
American School of Bahrain
Beginning August 1, 2020
American School of Bahrain (ASB) seeks an educational leader who has passion for excellence and innovation in teaching and a demonstrated track record of leading student-centered learning in an international setting. This position begins on August 1, 2020.
This position provides an exceptional opportunity for a forward-thinking educator with a global perspective and a desire to become part of a learning community characterized by strong relationships, diverse interests, and a rigorous educational mission. It is rare for most educators to have the opportunity to be part of the founding team of a brand new school so this is indeed a unique leadership position for the right candidate.
ASB is a learning community dedicated to providing a world-class international education and to inspire intercultural understanding. At ASB, our mission is to provide a challenging American and international education that inspires students to pursue their passions, achieve their goals and become responsible global citizens. As an Esol Education school, ASB has a rich heritage of educational excellence to tap into. Esol Education has been successfully operating schools for over 40 years, serving a community of over 10,000 students, professional and caring teachers, experienced leadership and world-class facilities. Our brand new purpose-built campus is being constructed on 17 acres in Wadi Al Buhair, Bahrain and is designed with a great feeling of space, which enhances the teaching and learning at the school. We will open our doors on September 1, 2020. ASB is equipped with state of the art facilities designed in line with the latest education research. As an American international school in Bahrain, ASB will offer a Pre-KG to grade 12 American curriculum, with the option of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma in Grades 11 and 12. Founding Director Dave McMaster has 30 years of experience in both public and private education in Canada, Hong Kong and Bahrain. He was the Head of School at Canadian International School of Hong Kong for ten years, working alongside a world-class faculty and leadership team who elevated the school to one of the most respected and sought-after schools in South East Asia. Dave believes in establishing a positive, progressive culture in the school where faculty and staff feel safe to take risks, strive for excellence in everything they do and most importantly love coming to school each and everyday.
At American School of Bahrain, our mission is to provide a challenging American and international education that inspires students to pursue their passions, achieve their goals and become responsible global citizens.
To be a vibrant learning community known for its love of learning, excellence in education, and service to its community and beyond.
STATEMENT OF RESPECT
ASB is a respectful and inclusive community, proud of our diversity and mindful of the many cultures that make up the fabric of our school. We are privileged to be hosted in the Kingdom of Bahrain and are committed to upholding Bahraini values by providing our students with authentic and meaningful interactions with the rich culture and heritage of Bahrain.
- 17 acre campus
- 20,000 sq m built up space
- Technology enabled classrooms
- STEAM LABS
- Maker Spaces
- Six Science Labs
- Food Technology Lab
- Two Library Media Centres
- Two Cafeterias
- Extensive Outdoor Play Space for All Ages
- Comprehensive Athletics Complex
• Swimming Pool
• Large Indoor Gymnasium
• Outdoor Basketball Courts
• Regulation Sized Soccer/Rugby Field
• 400 M Regulation Track
• Well equipped fitness Room
Pre-KG to grade 12 American Curriculum based on AERO Standards and Common Core, utilizing a cross-curricular approach. The curriculum is designed to prepare students for entry into highly competitive colleges and universities in the United States, Canada, Europe, the Middle East, and elsewhere.
Creative Curriculum® in Pre-KG and KG1
Option of International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme in Grades 11 & 12
Operating since 1976, Esol is an organization specialized in the establishment and management of high-quality international schools. Esol currently operates a total of nine international schools in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Egypt, Cyprus, Hong Kong and Lebanon. Each of the Esol schools follows an American or British curriculum and is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA) and/or the Council of International Schools (CIS). Seven Esol schools currently offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (IBDP) with several offering the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program (PYP). The Esol schools enjoy the benefits of experienced leadership and management, excellent facilities, and caring and dedicated teachers. Since its inception, Esol ’s focus has always honored the founder’s commitment to the attainment of the highest standards of educational excellence. For more information about Esol, please visit www.esoleducation.com.
REQUIRED AND PREFFERED QUALIFICATIONS
The Principal has overall responsibility for the organizational, operational and academic functions of the Pre-KG to Grade 8 programs, including working with the Director to recruit, develop and retain outstanding faculty and staff. The Principal will work with the Director to formulate the school’s strategic plans and programs, and will direct the day-to-day operation of its Pre-KG to Grade 8 classes and programs.
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership;
- A proven track record in educational leadership, including at least three years of experience as a principal or similar position;
- Expertise in overseeing the development of instructional material, coordinating its implementation and assessing its effectiveness;
- The ability to lead and work collaboratively with a talented team of teachers, administrators, and other school personnel;
- A strong and outgoing personal presence;
- Proven commitment to a well-balanced program that focuses on the whole child;
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to reach out to many constituencies;
- A strong commitment to continuous professional development and demonstrate a love of learning;
- The ability to recruit and retain highly qualified teachers; and
- The flexibility to learn and adapt to new cultures and situations.
- Experience implementing a balanced literacy program, which incorporates TC Readers and Writers Workshop and Word study programs.
- Experience designing learning experiences within a STEAM framework
- The ability to oversee the design of Project Based Learning Units
- A working knowledge of documenting a written curriculum using mapping software (Atlas Rubicon)
- A working knowledge of the use of MAP (Measures of Academic Progress) to monitor student growth and attainment
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary and benefits package will be competitive within the Middle East. Benefits include furnished housing, relocation allowance, annual flight, world wide medical insurance, a vehicle and a professional development allowance.
Please apply directly to the school by submitting:
- A current resume
- A list of at least three references with current telephone numbers and email addresses.
- A letter of application no longer than two pages (one-page is ideal), explaining your educational beliefs, leadership strengths and professional and personal interests.
- A recent head and shoulders photo.
Include all documents in a single PDF file and forward by email to:
Please email these documents directly to ASB’s Director, Mr. Dave McMaster, at email@example.com. We encourage you to apply at the earliest possible time and no later than February 15, 2020. The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Candidates should note that, in the event an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, the school reserves the right to make an appointment and conclude the search prior to the stated deadline.