< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Avondale Grammar School (Singapore)
Appointed - Position Filled
Feb 16, 14
Mar 31, 14
Appointment of the
PRINCIPAL OF AVONDALE GRAMMAR SCHOOL
INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS
Avondale Grammar School is located in the Orchard Road district of Singapore. It is a co-educational, international school, of 330 students which follows the Australian National Curriculum. It operates programmes from Preschool to Middle School. Avondale prides itself on its high academic standards and places great emphasis on literacy and numeracy skill development. Individualised learning programmes and mentoring ensure a personalised approach in catering to student needs. This is complemented by a nurturing, values based pastoral care programme that encourages all students to challenge themselves and achieve their personal best, not only in academic areas, but as well-rounded individuals, enjoying the Performing and Visual Arts, Sport and many co-curricular offerings.
Avondale provides a welcoming and supportive community not only for its parent body, but for all staff, with an emphasis on wellbeing and open communication.
To these ends Avondale espouses the following Mission, Vision and Goals:
Avondale Grammar School encourages excellence through exceptional education.
Our Vision for Avondale Grammar School is that it is a learning community where
- Challenged to achieve
- Develop a thirst for knowledge
- Enjoy high levels of participation
- Learn what it means to understand their personal potential
- Learn to lead and contribute as responsible, active global citizens
- Known for their passion for learning and respected for their subject area knowledge and pedagogy
- Active contributors to all aspects of school life and worthy ambassadors for the School
- Active seekers of professional development
- Accessible, enthusiastic, caring and good communicators
- Positive in outlook and respecters of diverse cultures
- Active participants in the life of the School
- Are confident the School standards and their expectations are met
- Fully supported in their transition to Singapore and feel included in the School community
- Welcomed as partners in their child’s/children’s education
- Supportive of the School ethos and values
Avondale Grammar School is a learning community where
The curriculum and pedagogy are:
- Internationally recognised and based on best practice
- Differentiated to meet individual learning needs
- Focused through clear assessment standards and internal and external benchmarks
- Complemented by a wide variety of co-curricular activities as befits a well rounded educationStructured around a rigorous framework and values base
To encourage students to commit to excellence and to strive for their personal best by being seekers of knowledge who are resourceful and adventurous as thinkers.
To develop students who are self-aware, positive and resilient and who are compassionate and caring for others, as well as having a sense of responsibility for themselves, for others, and for their environment.
Spiritual and ethical goals
To encourage students who will strive to act with honesty, humility, fairness, courage and a sense of justice within a Christian world view, whilst remaining tolerant and respectful of the traditions and beliefs of others.
Avondale Grammar School is governed by an international Board of Directors and a Council. The Directors are responsible for the financial and legal compliance and the overall operation of the School. The Board and Council together advise on administrative and academic policy and operations and work closely with the Principal. The Principal is responsible for implementing Board and Council policy and assumes responsibility for the day to day running of the School in concert with the other School leadership executive members.
There are currently 43 teaching and assistant teaching staff members, 16 administrative support staff members and 6 valuable ancillary staff. The Principal is supported by an Assistant Principal Head of Primary and Middle School, an Assistant Principal Head of Preschool and Junior School and a Director of Finance and Administration.
THE SCHOOL CREST
The School Crest is worn with pride on School uniform, books and sporting gear. The double fleur de Lys was chosen as a symbol of purity, the book represents the Bible, whilst the cross is an adaptation of the cross on the flag of NSW.
The School motto is Pro Viribus - ‘to the best of one’s ability”
There are four School houses named after notable achievers. They are:
Raffles House (Red) Maathai House (Blue) Lyons House (Green) and Flynn House(Yellow)
Avondale Grammar School was started in 2005 by an expatriate couple living in Singapore who wished to provide an Australian private school learning environment with an emphasis on academic excellence that would allow expatriate children to slot back into quality independent schools in their own home environment. It was designed intentionally to be personalised and nurturing and to stand in contrast to the larger international schools on offer.
December 2006 – Recruitment of first Principal Mrs Fran Hazel to prepare appropriate submissions and documentation
Feb 2007 -- Preparations to convert girls reform school premises at Lorong 1 Toa Payoh
June 11 2007 -- School opened on above site with three students
July 2007 – November 2007 – The school had grown to 75 students
January 2008 – Term 1 of this year saw 120 students enrolled
14th March 2008 – Official opening ceremony conducted by HE Mr Miles Kupa, the Australian High Commissioner to Singapore
April 2008 – December 2009 new Principal Mr Martin Tait led the school
January 2010 -- A new site at Phoenix Park was opened and a new Principal, Mr Andrew Coote commenced at the School
January 2012 -- saw the arrival of a new Principal Ms Jan Hart previously from The Scots College, Sydney and her arrival coincided with the opening of a second building at Phoenix Park to accommodate growing numbers
December 2013 -- Ms Hart returned to Sydney to assume a leadership position at another Sydney independent school and during the search process Ms Christine Woolley, previously Assistant Principal, will assume the acting role for 2014.
AVONDALE GRAMMAR SUCCESSES
Although a relatively small school Avondale “punches above its weight” in the sporting arena. By way of example, the 10 and under Boys’ Soccer, who despite having no substitutes to call upon, went into their finals undefeated. Being a mid city School Avondale has the advantage of the use of some large local venues such as Delta Sports Complex and Dempsey Field. Avondale participates in the ACSIS (Athletic Conference of Singapore International Schools) division. Boys’ and Girls’ Soccer, Cricket, Netball, Athletics, Basketball, Tennis and Swimming are just some of the competitive sports in which Avondale students participate.
Middle School Mentoring and Goal Setting
Students in the Middle School take part in a mentoring programme to further individualise their learning. Each student works with a staff member to create their individual learning plan goals. Students set challenging, yet achievable goals based on discussions with their mentors and identify strategies they can implement to achieve the goals within a timeframe that is suitable. Each week students meet with their mentors to reflect on their progress. Students identify areas of strength and mentors guide the students so that they develop life-long skills that will assist them in current and future schooling as well as later in the workplace.
We believe the NAPLAN results for 2013 are a clear demonstration of the School’s strong focus on Literacy and Numeracy specifically and academic standards in general.
THE ROLE OF THE PRINCIPAL
The Principal has delegated responsibility for the leadership and management of the School. The Principal attends and reports to the Board and Council through the Chairperson of Council. Council meetings are held at least 10 times per year, some of which are held in Sydney.
In order to achieve Avondale Grammar School’s mission and goals the Principal must be an inspiring educator, a leader of staff and believer in children’s abilities.
Appropriate post graduate university qualifications
The principal will :
- have immovable commitment to academic excellence and be lead teacher and learner
- an appreciation of the School's mission, vision and values and a dedication to furthering these into the future
- have the ability to hire and retain quality staff and inspire them to manage the balance between collegiality, excellence and a well-rounded education
- have a detailed knowledge of the latest research in pedagogy, curriculum, assessment and reporting, student developmental needs and well being
- foster trust, recognise and develop leadership in others, as well as build strong teamwork in order to achieve goals
The Principal will:
- demonstrate an ability to be an analytical, strategic decision maker who has a track record of consultation, planning and delegation, where appropriate
- be able to work collaboratively with all members of the School community
- report operational matters accurately and effectively and collaborate with members of the School Council
- be technologically adept and confident
The Principal will:
- demonstrate a passion for teaching and learning
- be an effective listener, diplomatic communicator and a reasoned advocate for causes in the interests of students and the School
- be a trust builder across all stakeholders of the School
- have abundant energy and stamina for the role
- have a wide ranging number of cultural interests and a natural curiosity and awareness of the global context of the host country and culture.
Conditions of Appointment
- the Principal is appointed by the School Council and Board
- the initial contract will be for three years and will deal with remuneration, benefits, performance reviews and relocation expenses.
Applicants for the position of Principal should include in their application the following details:
- full name, address and contact details, including an email address
- a full curriculum vitae including academic and professional qualifications and past experience as well as membership of professional organisations and recreational interests. (Do not include original documents of qualifications at this stage).
- a supporting statement outlining educational philosophy
- a supporting statement outlining leadership philosophy
- the names and contact details of three referees who may be approached in confidence about the applicant
- applicants are advised to address the selection criteria in a covering letter.
Applications should be marked Confidential for Chair of Council and be forwarded electronically to: email@example.com or forwarded in hard copy to the Primary Centre and Middle Years campus marked Confidential for the attention of Chair of Council
Additional information can be obtained from the School's website at www.avondale.edu.sg
Applications close on 31 March, 2014.
The Council reserves the right to readvertise the position should no suitable candidate be found.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.