< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Principal (Head of School)
RP Sanjiv Goenka Group (India)
Mar 26, 20
Jul 31, 20
RP SANJIV GOENKA GROUP
Looking for: Principal (Head of School) for an International IB School in Kolkata, Eastern India
Start date of assignment: July 2021
They say great schools are led by great principals, someone who builds character, inspires dreams, encourages creativity, builds confidence, creates a positive culture, instills a love of lifelong learning and touches each and every students heart and changes their lives forever.
Legacy is about honouring the past, living in the present, and creating the future. With a rich heritage and legacy to build upon, RPSG Group today is regarded as one of the most revered business conglomerates of India. The Group inspires trust and credibility through its value- driven business culture and thought-leadership. RPSG Group was established in its current form in 2011, but the Group has been raised on the foundations of the Goenka family’s two centuries of illustrious history in Indian business.
With over a 200-year legacy, the RP-Sanjiv Goenka Group is a global business group spanning multiple sectors including Power, Natural Resources, Carbon Black, Retail, Consumer Goods, Infrastructure, Media, Entertainment, IT, Education & Sports. Many of which businesses are the leading businesses in the country of their operations.
The Group, with gross assets worth over USD6.2 Billion, revenue of over USD 3.7 Billion and 5,00,000+ shareholders, employs 45,000+ employees and is driven by a dynamic team of professionals coming from diverse backgrounds.
Within the space of education, the RPSG Group currently operates three higher education management schools under the brand name International Management Institute, with campuses in New Delhi, Bhubaneswar and Kolkata. They rank within the top colleges of the country. Mr. Sanjiv Goenka, Chairman, RP-Sanjiv Goenka group is also currently the Chairman of Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, a top ranking educational institution of the country.
To further its pursuit in the space of education, the RPSG Group is building a school for primary and secondary education. This co-educational international day school (K-12) will be in the city of Kolkata, West Bengal, India. Made as a school for the future, the school will have not just a modern international format of teaching, but also modern facilities benchmarked to international standards. The endeavor is to set a new benchmark of excellence in international education in India, offering the best state of the art facilities, faculty and stimulating learning environment.
About the city of Kolkata:
Kolkata, known as Calcutta earlier and once the capital city of British India from 1773 to 1911 is now the second biggest Indian city and also the capital city of West Bengal, a major eastern state of the Union of India. The city is known for its grand colonial architecture, art galleries and cultural festivals. It is famously known as the City of Joy and is, in every sense, the artistic, cultural and intellectual capital of India. The city brims with life and creativity, being a very welcoming community. with its people being known for their warmth and friendliness.
Brief about the School:
- Total Built up area- Just over 2,00,000 sq.ft
- The school will be in the heart of the city, Alipore, very central.
- No. of students- Around 700
- The School shall have Primary, Middle Year and Diploma Programs. The Primary program will follow the PYP curriculum. While the Middle Year Program will follow IGCSE curriculum, Grades XI and XII will offer International Baccalaureate course (IB)
- Proposed building will have one basement, ground floor and 9 floors. There will be a swimming pool and an outdoor sports area on the terrace along with an indoor sports hall and auditorium also.
This senior leadership position oversees the planning, launch, and development of an outstanding International school. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Principal will be an integral leader in the overall development of the school, working closely with leaders across all functions and will be responsible for and oversee all elements of the programs, policies, and procedures which impact the effective delivery of teaching and learning, as well as programs beyond the classroom.
RPSG believes in conferring complete freedom to its various operating Heads and offers a congenial working atmosphere.
Target launch :
June 2022 (initially, KG to Grade IV will be launched, other Grades to be added gradually with Grades XI and XII completing Diploma Program targeted to be launched around 2024).
Required Candidate profile:
Experience as Principal/Head of School in IB Curriculum, Excellent Leader, Academic Visionary, Effective Communicator, Problem Solver, Decision Maker and Clear passion and commitment to a child’s education beyond the classroom. The candidate must have the passion to make the School a truly world class institution.
The candidate must have a minimum bachelor’s degree from a reputable university, major in Education. A master’s degree in Educational Leadership may be an advantage, with a minimum of 15 years’ relevant working experience, in an international education environment.
The experience at a similar level of leadership, in a leading international school, will be very relevant. If the candidate has the experience of founding a school, a start-up environment, that will work as a great added advantage.
Candidates from both India and abroad, preferably with some experience of having worked in India or Asia before are welcome.
Full Time, Permanent
Salary and Benefits:
The Salary and benefits are competitive and will depend upon the qualification and experience of the successful candidate. The package will be settled by mutual consultation.
Key deliverables :
1.Governance , 2.Vision and Leadership, 3.Strategy and Planning, 4. Administration
5.Academic Leadership, 6. Staff Management and Development 7.Community Building
8. Co-ordination with all stakeholders.
A. Primary Function
The Principal will provide leadership and administration which will motivate instructional and support personnel to strive for superior performance so as to provide the best possible opportunities for student growth and development, both educationally and personally. He/she will be responsible for securing affiliations with IB, IGCSE & such other Boards as may be applicable. Overseeing P&L of the school will also be Principal’s overall responsibility.
B. Line of Authority
Directly responsible to the Board of Trustees of the School.
C. Supervision of others : Direct supervision over:
- PYP/MYP/DP Heads
- Head custodian
- Kitchen Head
- Secretarial/clerical/administration Heads
- All other regular instructional and other professional staff members.
D. Areas of Responsibility
In addition to the primary function, the principal shall be responsible for:
- Developing and administering the general school routine, and coordinate academic and all other activities within the school building.
- Actively encouraging sports and all extra-curricular programs.
- Participating in the selection of new teaching and classified personnel.
- Observing, counseling, and motivating professional staff toward performances to attain the educational goals of the School.
- Utilizing to the fullest extent possible, all available school facilities, materials, and staff service personnel.
- Continually evaluating existing programs and practices, curriculum content, and pilot or experimental programs.
- Maintaining an educational philosophy and school vision which encourages a cooperative and participating attitude on the part of all teachers and students.
- Maintaining a standard of student behavior designed to command respect and minimize school and classroom interruptions.
- Resolving student behavioral problems on buses.
- Encouraging and initiating continued improvement in curriculum and teaching methods in cooperation with District Administration, subject area specialists, and faculty.
- Identifying intellectual, physical, social and emotional needs affecting students’ success in school, and taking steps to direct and coordinate the efforts of teachers and parents with staff services and special education personnel.
- Planning and submitting annual budget needs for the building to the Director of Business Affairs prior to April 1 of each year.
- Maintaining effective communication to keep the staff, students, and parents properly informed.
- Orienting new personnel assigned to the school.
- Having school records available and up to date for ready reference and reporting.
- Planning and conducting faculty meetings as necessary.
- Affecting or recommending changes which will lead to improved administration, supervision and opportunity for student development.
- Actively participating and encouraging staff participation in parent-teacher and other community groups, as a means of developing understanding, cooperation, and respect for school objectives and endeavors.
- Review, authorize, or disapprove Authorizing all professional staff requests for instructional materials and equipment within the approved budget.
- Authorizing all requests for special pupil transportation needs of the professional staff.
- Attending professional conferences, seminars, and workshops in education and/or educational administration as per master agreement and/or Superintendent.
- Performing all other acts reasonable and necessary to accomplish his/her primary function as delegated by the Trustees.
Please send your resume, current, and expected salary and notice period to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A letter of application, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in this position.
- A one-page list of references who have served as an immediate supervisor
- A maximum of three letters of reference that may already be in your possession
The last date for receiving applications is July 31, 2020.
The RP-Sanjiv Goenka Group Management Board comprises of highly qualified professionals with significant expertise in various sectors.
Vision, Mission & Core Values of the proposed School:
Vision: To be a world leader in education, cultivating exceptional thinkers well prepared for the future.
Our schools vision is to provide a learning environment where children learn to embrace challenge & they are given freedom to think and empowered to be responsible global individuals that help shape a better world. We believe in an inquiry based holistic education, with an emphasis on values, integrity, compassion, teamwork and a celebration in diverse communities.
Mission: Our mission is to create a new benchmark of excellence in International education in India. We are dedicated to creating a safe and caring environment conducive to learning and teaching, where we fulfil every child’s educational and developmental needs. We prepare our children to face the challenges of the world with utmost confidence, determination & character.
COMPASSION • HONESTY • FAIRNESS • RESPONSIBILITY • RESPECT • SELF DISCIPLINE • TEAMWORK
Vision of the school in next few years:
By 2022- Nursery to grade 4
2023- Nursery to grade 6
2024- Nursery till grade 7 and introduce IBDP programme
2025- Nursery till grade 7 & IB programme running.
2026- Full school running
About the RPSG Group :
The Group's Vision of “Inclusive Growth fired by free-spirited Entrepreneurship”, reflected in its various businesses, is embedded in its six Core Values: Customer Happiness, Credibility, Humaneness, Execution Excellence, Speed and Risk Taking.
Its flagship companies include CESC Limited (one of India's best-known power utilities in the private sector), Firstsource Solutions Limited (a global BPO player trusted by 100+ leading brands across various sectors), PCBL (largest producer and exporter of carbon black in India), Spencer's Retail Limited –which is one of the biggest supermarket retailers in India since 1863 with having over 200 stores across India. Natures Basket, another retail gourmet grocery chain, with over 25 different stores. Guiltfree Industries (the FMCG wing of the Group which focuses on packaged foods and goods), Saregama India Limited earlier known as HMV (India's most reputed music company with an archive of 300,000+ tracks), Harrison's Malayalam Limited (India's largest natural rubber producer and south India's second largest tea producer), and Open Magazine Publishing (the weekly current affairs magazine, and the flagship brand of Open Media Network).The Group is also very passionate about sports, being the franchisee for cricket, football and table tennis teams; and is also associated with Virat Kohli Foundation to promote RPSG Sports Honours. The Group has also launched the first luxury mall in Eastern India known as 'Quest Mall” in Kolkata. The group also runs Woodlands Multispecialty Hospital Ltd, one of the oldest and most reputed hospitals in Eastern India, and also some magnificent temples in Kolkata and Durgapur. India's first corporate sponsored business school - IMI, Delhi; the aesthetically designed IMIs at Kolkata and Bhubaneswar, are operational under the Group's education division. As a socially responsible corporate citizen, the Group strongly focuses on the Triple Bottom Line by taking initiatives to rebuild a “green” environment in CESC, PCBL, Spencer's, ICML, Dhariwal and Haldia Energy Limited.
Some Pictures from the latest architectural design of the school are given below