< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Paul Neary
Dec 17, 14
Jan 10, 15
Principal – Primary School
- effective August 2015
Qatar Academy is seeking an exceptional educational leader for its Primary School to commence August 1, 2015.
The Qatar Academy community is seeking applications from individuals motivated to advance best practices and foster teaching excellence in Primary School education. At Qatar Academy, the Primary School Principal will be responsible for the management of the Primary School program. As a member of the Leadership Team, the Primary School Principal will be a key driver in the refinement and implementation of the school’s strategic vision for Primary School Education within Qatar. A detailed description of the position including qualifications, attributes and responsibilities is included in this document.
Qatar Academy (QA) is one of the Middle East’s premier educational institutions. QA is an International Baccalaureate World School also accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and the Council of International Schools. The school offers academic excellence in Early Years, Primary Years, Middle Years and IB Diploma programs based on the principle that education involves the development of a student’s cognitive, physical, social, moral and affective capabilities.
A dynamic classroom curriculum combined with community and service programs, experiential education, and extra-curricular activities enable students to participate in and reflect on the educational journey from Early Years through Grade 12. Students are a respected part of the learning process shared with parents and teachers. They are encouraged to be risk takers, ask questions and confidently seek answers.
Qatar Academy does not just educate. QA prepares students for work, life and leadership in their own communities and society at large.
Qatar Academy was founded in 1998 to provide quality international education opportunities to the local community. The school is part of the Qatar Foundation, a vision of Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser. The school has had rapid growth over the last several years and the Early Years to Grade 12 classes are currently at capacity.
Doha is the capital of Qatar – a sovereign Arab state – located in Western Asia and occupying the small Qatar Peninsula on the northeasterly coast of the Arabian Peninsula. Its sole land border is with Saudi Arabia to the south, with the rest of its territory surrounded by the Arabian Gulf. The Al Thani family has ruled Qatar since the mid-19th century. Formerly a British protectorate noted mainly for pearling, it became independent in 1971, and has become one of the region's wealthiest states due to its enormous oil and natural gas revenues.
The school is located within Qatar Foundation (QF), which was founded in 1995 by decree of His Highness Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Emir of Qatar . The current Emir is his son, His Highness Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani. Qatar Foundation is chaired by Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser. Its aim is to "support Qatar on its journey from a carbon economy to a knowledge economy by unlocking human potential".
Qatar Foundation carries out this mission through three "pillars": education, science and research, and community development. QF’s work in the education field has brought a number of international universities to Qatar to help develop an education sector in which young people can develop the attitudes and skills required for a knowledge economy. Its main science and research agenda is to build Qatar's innovation and technology capacity by developing and commercializing solutions through key sciences. Its community development programs aim to help foster a progressive society, while also enhancing the cultural landscape, protecting Qatar's heritage and addressing immediate social needs in the community.
Current enrolment for Qatar Academy is 1680 from Early Years to Grade 12. A large percentage of the student population is Qatari.
It is the mission of Qatar Academy (QA) to provide internationally accepted, comprehensive, English medium programs plus Arabic and Islamic studies from preschool through to secondary graduation. QA develops independent critical thinkers, lifelong learners, responsible citizens, and empowers students to gain entrance to elite universities and colleges.
Qatar Academy exists to provide the highest possible standard of education, and to achieve academic excellence for each student, develop independent critical thinkers, lifelong learners and responsible citizens.
Qatar Academy will meet the educational needs and expectations of our students, and aspire to provide those opportunities that our students need to develop to their full potential through:
- achieving academic excellence through varied teaching and learning strategies
- providing for and maintaining the highest standards through continuous evaluation and improvement of all programs
- providing a well-rounded education for the highest standards of academic, physical, social and cultural growth and development
- employing an appropriate admissions policy to ensure that only students of the highest ability, who will benefit from the Academy’s programs, will be admitted
- providing consistently challenging targets, so that each student realizes his/her full potential
- teaching the most appropriate, internationally accredited syllabuses
- providing a safe and supportive environment in which to learn
- encouraging the virtues of self-respect and respect for others
- embracing and utilizing Information Communication Technology to ensure students can succeed in a rapidly changing world
- providing a wide-range of extra-curricular opportunities for students to develop outside the academic sphere
- emphasizing that good communication between all parties is fundamental to the efficient running of the school
- promoting management which is supportive and enabling, committed to the development of all people in the organization and to constant improvement
- promoting an appreciation of various traditions and values, including Arab culture and language, and
- working in partnership with parents, colleges and the local community
The Primary School Principal reports to the Director of Schools – Qatar Academy Doha.
In collaboration with the School Director and the Educational Leadership Team, the Primary School Principal’s role is to manage the Primary School Division. The Principal is accountable for the effective development, delivery, and evaluation of the Primary School educational programs. In exercising this responsibility, the Primary School Principal is required to make important decisions regarding the program, budget, and staff that lie within his/her jurisdiction. The management of the school’s programs requires the Primary School Principal to analyze the needs of the students to ultimately transform the educational structures into the most promising teaching program with respect to the strategic vision, mission, and core values of Qatar Academy.
Qualifications and Experience
• Appropriate Administrative License (emphasis in educational administration preferred)
• Experience leading a PYP school preferred
• Outstanding interpersonal, communication, leadership and conflict resolution skills required
• Experience working in a school culture that supports English Language learners preferred
Salary and Benefits
Days and hours to be arranged, with salary according to current schedule. The salary is highly completive and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include a tax-free salary, housing, health, life and long-term disability insurance, annual home leave, shipping allowance, tuition benefits for Pre K – Grade 12 school-age dependents. Following the probationary period, performance of this position will be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions of the Board's policy on evaluation of licensed personnel.
Candidates wishing to learn more about QA can go to our website at www.qataracademy.edu.qa
Qatar Academy has appointed Search Associates to act as consultant in the search for a Principal of the Primary School, with Ralph Jahr and Bridget McNamer being the lead consultants. The deadline for application is January 10, 2015. The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Candidates should note that Qatar Academy reserves the right to make an appointment at any time, even before the deadline mentioned above if an exceptional candidate is identified early in the process. For this reason interested candidates are encouraged to apply at the earliest possible time.
Candidates should send the information requested below as a single PDF file of 4MB or less attached to an email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org . Application materials should include:
- Cover letter of application
- Resume, generally not more than two pages
- Photograph (requested but not required)
- Educational philosophy statement
- A list of references (at least three) - the list should include their names, positions, current email addresses, and the current Superintendent/Director of your present school
- Up to three open letters of reference may also be submitted
- Short-listed candidates will be contacted and interviewed soon after the deadline date. The Search Committee will select the new Primary School Principal as soon as possible after the site visits and final interviews have been concluded.
Ralph Jahr, Ph.D. Tel: 609-759-0431
2008 Cove Lane Email: email@example.com
Roseville, CA 95747-8835 (USA) Skype – ralph.h.jahr
Bridget McNamer Tel: 415-290-6050
313 Bell Lane Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mill Valley, CA 94941 (USA) Skype - bridgetmcnamer