< Back to Leadership Vacancies
St. John's Academy Shawnigan Lake (Canada)
Sep 14, 21
Oct 18, 21
St. John’s Academy Shawnigan Lake
St. John’s Academy Shawnigan Lake, situated on a pristine location between the shores of Shawnigan Lake and the base of Mt. Baldy, provides an innovative approach to education for both day and boarding students. We have had an incredible start to our school and are continuing to grow. We have obtained authorization for the IB’s Middle Years Program (MYP) and have embraced the IB’s teaching philosophy and mission.
We are delighted to be looking for an enthusiastic and passionate educator that will join our team of hard working and caring teachers that are united in our commitment to make the world a better place. Located in southern Vancouver Island, our 31-acre boarding school campus is surrounded by fresh air and natural beauty.
In two years, we have approached our capacity and have applied for rezoning, which will allow us to expand our current capacity of circa 210 students to 1100 students including 550 boarding students. Our aim is to have a large, diverse school in our wonderful community with a majority of the students being from the local area. The Principal will play a key role in leading this process.
We have recently applied to become a member of the Council of International Schools (CIS) and plan to host a joint visit in March 2023, which will include visiting team members from both CIS and IBO. Our goal is to be able to deliver the IBDP from September 2023.
Reports to: Director of School
Remuneration: Competitive salary, housing available and opportunities for professional growth.
Job Summary: The ideal candidate will match many of the requirements below. Specifically, they will be a highly motivated leader who is prepared to go above and beyond in serving our fantastic students. The successful applicant will be a creative self-starter who thrives in having a substantial amount of professional autonomy. The Principal will play an instrumental role in shaping our growing school’s future.
The Principal will perform all acts necessary to properly and efficiently manage the operations of the school, including but not limited to:
- To embody, manifest and advocate the vision and mission of the school.
- To ensure a healthy school climate and culture amongst motivated colleagues.
- To work with the Director to carry out established school policies; to review those policies and make recommendations for changes; to attend meetings, prepare reports, maintain board records, and keep the Director informed on all aspects of the school’s operation.
- To work with the school operations and management consultants contracted by the school to assist it with the work of focusing on the strategic future and viability of the school.
- To ensure the Strategic Improvement Plan (SIP) is a working document which is regularly reviewed and updated with feedback from all stakeholders.
- Oversight of all programs of the school (academic, athletic, ethical, and other co-curricular); to submit reports to external agencies as required; to execute upon disciplinary policies and standards of conduct.
- Oversight of preliminary and final budgets.
- Line manages the Director of Admissions and Marketing (DAM) who will be responsible for the recruitment of local and boarding students.
- To represent the school to all of its constituents including neighbourhood, parents, students, alumni, business community, faculty, and staff.
- To handle all matters regarding employment, retention and dismissal, of personnel; salaries and contracts; job assignments and performance evaluation; and orientation and training. To assist in the preparation of employee handbooks, and maintain appropriate personnel records.
- To represent the school in its relations with provincial and federal agencies and with local, provincial, regional and national educational organizations and accrediting agencies.
- To ensuring's that the school meets all requirements for registration and continued good standing with the Ministry of Education;
- Establishing and maintaining a standard of academic and social achievement for the school’s students.
- Fulfilling all other responsibilities and functions the school may reasonably require of a Principal to develop and continuously improve the school’s operations as an institution of learning.
Qualifications and Skills
- B.Ed. required, Master’s degree is preferred
- Possess a BC teachers’ license and be in “good standing” or be able to obtain a BC teachers’ license (professional or subject-restricted)
- Legal ability to work in Canada without sponsorship
- Passion for supporting young learners
- Ability to demonstrate our five core values; caring, resilience, courage, respect, integrity.
- Ability to motivate a whole school culture through effective and collaborative team working.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, and colleagues.
- Commitment to ongoing professional learning
- Commitment to providing experiential learning opportunities
- Experience being a caring member of a successful Senior Leadership Team
- Experience delivering the IBMYP and/or IBDP curricula
- Experience teaching English Language Learners
Applicants are to provide:
- one-page maximum application letter which states your earliest possible start date and confirms whether or not you are currently qualified to teach in Canada
- CV / resume
- Three (3) references
- Send application package by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants are encouraged to apply at their earliest convenience. We intend to contact suitable applicants that are available for a January 1, 2022 start before the closing date, as the school reserves the right to appoint early. We thank all applicants for their time and will only contact selected candidates.
Application Deadline: October 18, 2021
Start Date: January 1, 2022 (possible later start date for the right candidate)
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent