< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Mar 4, 20
Mar 19, 20
Required August 2020
An exciting opportunity has arisen within our vibrant and thriving Academy for an outstanding Secondary School Principal who is inspirational, dynamic, innovative and ready for the challenge of joining an exceptional senior leadership team in an Academy that is hugely ambitious for all its students. We are making a genuine difference to the young people in our community. Your passion for teaching and learning should be the driving factor behind your portfolio of excellent results. We are searching for an applicant who is well qualified, driven, ambitious for Headship within the next three to four years, and has the ability to champion a culture of high expectations across the Academy with a strong, exciting and creative vision.
The GEMS approach to learning is one which focuses not only on academic excellence but also on provi ding a values-based international education for every child. A GEMS education helps students develop character, creativity, personal leadership and encourages the spirit of enterprise necessary to achieve their full potential as global citizens and leaders of the future.
Our values-driven international education is expressed through core values which are woven into every academic activity at GEMS schools. We live and breathe four values that form the basis of everything we do. These are:
- One Team
- Always Learning
GEMS World Academy-Dubai (GWA) is an IB+ Academy, a private, co-educational IB World school for Nursery to Grade 12 students. Established in 2008 as a member of GEMS Education, the school is authorised to deliver the PYP, MYP and DP programmes and, is also accredited by the Council of International Schools and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. All of its programmes are guided by the philosophy and framework of the IB.
GWA specialises in Enterprise, Innovation, Environmentalism, Elite Athletics and Languages delivered via its Language Institute. It is proud to deliver the largest mother tongue language programme amongst all schools in the UAE. The Academy serves a multi-ethnic community, and at the heart of our approach is the personalised curriculum based on the International Baccalaureate Learner Profile.
Our aim is to be a world-class IB school that maximises every student’s learning and character enabling them to choose their own successful path, and positively contribute to the local and global society.
Our student capacity is 2100 with students coming from 90 different countries with no one nationality comprising more than 10% of the total population. We have an exciting and ambitious multicultural and multilingual international staff of educators hailing from over 20 countries. GWA views its multicultural community as a rich source of learning which allows us to develop an understanding of what makes people different, whilst celebrating our similarities in this increasingly connected world. By providing all of our students with a world class education, we prepare them to be competitive on the international stage. We strive to be the best in every field. As a member of staff at a fast paced, forward thinking and innovative organisation, you will genuinely be changing lives.
The school is fully inclusive and achieves very strong academic results moving its IBDP average from 30 to 34 in the past three years (with an expected score this year of 35). It is now the strongest Mathematics school in
the UAE. Graduate university destinations are second to none and students regularly feature in podium positions in innovation and entrepreneurship challenges.
Our students access a broad range of student-centred learning through world-class facilities, including a 400m rubberized athletics track, tennis courts, a 50m Olympic-sized swimming pool, a 620-seat auditorium, and an innovative early years facility.
We are seeking:
- Strategic focus and vision, and an absolute focus on raising educational standards
- A consistent drive to improve the quality of teaching and learning
- A leader who is instrumental in setting high expectations for self and others, and has the ability to create, develop and lead high performing teams
- An exceptional track record of raising standards and attainment, and your personal qualities will align with our ethos and values
- A measured risk taker
- An infectious passion for implementing high standards of behaviour, learning and success
- An ambitious, inspirational and enthusiastic leader who has the ability to motivate others, working with and through the Heads of Section and Department areas
- Ability to recruit, retain and develop high quality teaching staff; building capacity and developing leadership at all levels, championing an open and collegial organisational culture in which staff are empowered to take initiative and ownership
- A champion for high expectations in teaching quality, developing a reputation for GWA as a ‘destination school’ for the very best teachers and leaders worldwide
- An inspirational leader who develops strong relationships with parents/carers, the local government; including Ministry of Education (MOE) and the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA), embassies and the wider international communities to the benefit of the School
- A candidate with significant teaching experience with a minimum of three years in a senior leadership position in a large and complex school environment
- A Masters Degree in Education Leadership or similar would be desirable, but the ideal candidate should definitely have evidence of a wider commitment to their own development
- International experience would be preferable but not essential
What we offer:
- A key leadership role in a unique and high performing international IB Academy
- An innovative educational concept
- An excellent programme of continuing professional development
- The opportunity to develop personally and professionally
- The chance to shape the future of the Academy
- The opportunity to work with a talented group of teachers and leaders
- The opportunity to work with an ambitious group of students
- An excellent staff wellbeing programme
- Ambitious Academy working with autonomy, supported by a committed and dedicated CEO/Principal, and GEMS Corporate Office Support
GWA - Candidate Information
GWA - Secondary School Principal person specifications
GWA - Secondary Principal Job Description
School leaders who meet our criteria, are enthusiastic about teaching and learning, and have the drive and passion to advance GWA’s mission are most welcome to apply.
Please submit a CV with a recent photograph, along with a formal letter of application outlining how you meet the criteria above to Danielle West, Vice President – Global Talent, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To explore more details on the exceptional facilities and educational practices of GEMS World Academy, please visit the school website at http://www.gemsworldacademy-dubai.com/
Closing date: Thursday 19 March 2020
GEMS World Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Offers of employment will be subject to an enhanced check.
Qualifications include significant teaching experience, a Masters Degree in Education Leadership or similar (desirable), a minimum of three years in a senior leadership position in a large and complex school environment. International experience is preferable but not essential.