< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Dr. Robert Beck
Oct 31, 13
Nov 30, 13
On behalf of the Search Committee of the Khartoum American School, we are pleased to announce that Dr. Robert Beck has accepted the position of Superintendent of KAS, starting in August 2014.
Dr. Beck is currently the Director of the American School in Asuncion in Paraguay. Prior to this he was Director of the American International School of Johannesberg, South Africa. Dr. Beck is an American citizen. He has also served as an educator in India, Hong Kong and the United States.
Dr. Beck has a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and a Masters Degree in Education from the State University of New York in Buffalo, and a Doctor of Education Degree from Columbia Teachers College in New York City.
Dr. Beck will be accompanied by his wife Anna Beck, who will serve as the Enrollment and Testing Coordinator at KAS.
The Search Committee, Board of Directors and we here at Search Associates appreciate very much your interest in the Khartoum American School Superintendent position. We were pleased that a large number of well qualified and experienced candidates applied for the position, and understand from the Search Committee that their decision was difficult to make.
We wish you the very best with your ongoing professional and personal pursuits.
John F. Magagna Bridget McNamer
Founding Director Senior Associate
Search Associates Search Associates
Khartoum American School
Superintendent/Head of School
- - effective August 2014 - -
Khartoum American School provides a student-centered, academic environment that fosters educational growth and development for its internationally diverse student body.
The Khartoum American School Campus and Community
Located on the outskirts of the Amarat area of Khartoum (home to the expatriate community), KAS buildings and grounds are well-maintained with green spaces and lush vegetation. The campus includes two soccer fields, a volleyball court, basketball courts and a swimming pool as well as shaded play areas for all children.
The school is growing every year, and at the moment we have 27 classrooms. KAS is a co-educational day school which includes program for grades Nursery through Grade 12. The majority of the international staff are qualified American teachers. All classroom teachers are certified, with an average of 15 years of teaching experience.
KAS is a school that has a history of growth and change. Khartoum American School began way back in 1957 with a student population of 11 children who received instruction on the veranda of a private home. Within a short time, KAS rented its own quarters and in 1966, when enrollment had grown to 77 pupils, the school moved to a new site on Street No. 29. During that year, the school welcomed 96 students of 21 different nationalities. The school existed on Street No. 29 for 18 years.
A larger school was then needed and Chevron Oil Company provided a generous grant to help with the construction of the new school. A Danish architect was hired to design and oversee the construction of the new facility, which was started in 1982. It was completed in 1984 and school has continued uninterrupted, with the exception of a temporary suspension in 1991 during the Gulf War crisis, and a 2 day closure following the events of September 11. From its start with only 11 students KAS has grown to a student population of over 200 students from 35 different nations.
Through an inquiry-based approach and a student-centered program, Khartoum American School offers a program of study that allows students to gain life-long learning skills and prepare themselves for higher education. With the collaboration of recognized international accrediting agencies, the curriculum is reviewed on an ongoing basis, to reflect current pedagogical research and best practices of international schools. An English-medium school, Khartoum American School facilitates the attainment of English proficiency by students whose native language is not English while at the same time encouraging the learning of other foreign languages. Moreover, Khartoum American School encourages and supports students to broaden their foreign language skills by offering courses in other international languages. Instructors and staff are dedicated to these goals, and continuously develop their knowledge, skills, and abilities accordingly.
- All classrooms are a standard American school size and may accommodate up to 23 students although present class size average is 15 students per class. The rooms are air-cooled and well furnished.
- The school library contains over 10,000 volumes and is equipped with computers for student use and an extensive video library with the appropriate equipment.
- There is a modern science laboratory, art room, music room, full size soccer field, basketball court, volleyball court, swimming pool, and a covered area for PE classes. Classroom areas are also provided for special programs in ESL (English as a Second Language), Arabic, and French.
- KAS prides itself in offering computer instruction to all students from Grade 1 through Grade 12. Along with a modern lab for instruction, our one-on-one laptop program ensures that all students from Grades 3 to 12 have a laptop of their own and school curriculum is designed to utilize this technology. The school network enjoys high-speed DSL connection to the World Wide Web.
The Board is currently seeking a new Superintendent/Head of School for the start of the 2014-2015 school year. The Superintendent will be responsible for all aspects of KAS’s operation management and academics, ensuring that standards of excellence are set and maintained in every area. The Superintendent, as the executive officer of the Board, shall act under its direction and be directly responsible to the Board.
- Proven track record of success as a previous administrator
- Prior experience working in an American curriculum-based school
- Prior international school experience in a developing country
- Graduate degree (Masters or PhD) in Education or Educational Administration Administrative certification
- Strong communication skills
- School finance and budget experience
- Knowledge or experience with AP Diploma Program
- Ability to recruit and retain quality administrators and faculty
- Experience with school facilities improvement and planning
Desired Personal Characteristics:
- Is a strong, self-confident leader who will lead by example through all levels of the organization, and can enforce accountability and apply rules fairly and consistently
- Is a strong decision-maker who will not compromise the school’s core principles and educational standards
- Has an approachable interpersonal style and will be a visible presence on campus and in the community
- Has an open and straight-forward communication style
- Is an advocate for faculty and staff who contribute to the educational success of the school
- Has high integrity and strong ethical values
- Is enthusiastic, positive, energetic and optimistic
Salary and benefits
KAS provides a competitive salary and benefits package to professional staff. The salary for the Superintendent position will be commensurate with successful candidate’s qualifications and experience. Benefits include housing, school vehicle for personal use, medical insurance, and home leave.
Procedure for Filing Application
The Khartoum American School has appointed Search Associates to act as consultant in the search for the new Superintendent, with John Magagna and Bridget McNamer serving as lead consultants. The deadline for application for the position is November 30, 2013. Candidates are asked to submit a letter of interest and the requested materials as early as possible, as the Search Committee and the School Board reserve the right to close the selection process at any time if the right candidate is found.
The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Finalists will be selected by the Search Committee by December 15, 2013. Finalist candidates with their spouses, if applicable, will be interviewed in Khartoum by the Search Committee and the School Board and would have the opportunity to visit the school and meet with faculty, parents, students and non-teaching staff. The new Superintendent will be selected immediately after the conclusion of the site visits and final interviews.
Candidates should send the information listed below as a single PDF file attached to an email:
- A letter of application, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in the Superintendent position at KAS
- A statement describing your management and educational philosophy, not to exceed two pages
- A current resume not to exceed two pages
- A one-page list of references with current addresses, phone numbers and email addresses
- A maximum of three letters of reference that may already be in your possession
Total document size should be kept to less than 3MB if possible.
Application should be sent to:
with copies to
firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Additional information about KAS can be found on the school’s website at www.krtams.org.