< Back to Leadership Vacancies
American International School of Libreville (Gabon)
Appointed - Terry Howard
Mar 20, 15
Apr 11, 15
AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF LIBREVILLE
Search for new TEACHING DIRECTOR
– from August 2015
The Board of the American International School of Libreville, Gabon seeks a new Teaching Director for the school, to start in August 2015, and has asked Search Associates to help in the search.
- THE SCHOOL
The American International School of Libreville (AISL), founded in 1975, is a small, private, non-profit, co-educational day school offering a fully accredited educational program from pre-kindergarten to grade 12. AISL currently welcomes approximately 50-60 students and employs 8 full-time teachers. The school celebrates every child and staff member regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation or nationality – today over 20 nationalities are represented in the school community.
AISL occupies an air-conditioned building which borders the Atlantic Ocean in the central section of Libreville. The school has self-contained classrooms in the elementary section. In the middle and high school there are dedicated classrooms for English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, French, and Art. The school has a computer room, a library area, a canteen/covered area, and offices. Physical education and recess are held on a grass covered playground and an asphalt court.
The curriculum is based on American standards and benchmarks, and students are expected to perform at a very high level. English is the language of instruction, with French taught daily as a foreign language. MAP Tests are given twice annually from grades 3-12. Additionally, internal assessments are given throughout the school year. AISL serves as an ETS/College Board testing center. AP and SAT tests are administered.
The school also offers a wide variety of after-school activities. The academic calendar comprises four quarters (two semesters) and extends from approximately the end of August to the second week of June.
Grades Pre-K through 12 are fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA). AISL is also a member of the Association of International Schools in Africa (AISA).
For further details see the school’s website www.aislgabon.com.
- THE (TEACHING) DIRECTOR
The Board of Directors seeks to appoint a teaching Director who will teach for 75% of his or her time and carry out administrative responsibilities for 25% of his or her time. The Director will report to the Board and will be responsible for administering the educational program and curriculum and for supervising all aspects of the education offered by the school.
Specifically the Director will be expected to
- Work closely with the Board and the Business Director on the overall operation of the school
- Administer the school’s curriculum, benchmarks and standards
- Administer the daily classroom schedules
- Administer the parent-teacher conferences
- Supervise and guide the teachers’ lesson plans including classroom schedules and activities
- Administer the teachers’ goals and evaluations
- Organize weekly faculty meetings and provide some professional development to the teachers
- Administer the student evaluations such as MAP or Stanford Achievement etc
- Review teachers’ grading, student report cards and comments etc
- Administer all kinds of events, field trips and after school activities
- Administer Seniors’ graduation and preparation for the universities.
- Administer end-of-year awards ceremony
- Administer the TOEFL and SAT
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Board.
The successful candidate will have good academic and professional qualifications and experience of leadership in an American curriculum international school. He or she will have the leadership and interpersonal skills to be able to nurture and develop a small, close-knit school community and ensure high standards in every aspect of the school’s life. Some previous experience in Africa will be an advantage.
The position will also suit a couple, if the teaching Director’s partner is qualified to teach either Science or Language Arts/Social Studies.
THE REMUNERATION PACKAGE
The remuneration package offered by the Board will be attractive and will include the following
- Competitive salary
- Furnished accommodation with utilities, cable and internet service provided
- Annual air fares to and from home of record
- Retirement contribution10% of annual salary
- Health Insurance
- Education for dependent children including all fees and tuition
- School-owned vehicle provided for business and personal use
THE APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Suitably qualified candidates should send to David Cope of Search Associates – all items together in one pdf as an email attachment (to arrive as soon as possible, and no later than 11 April 2015)
- a letter of application (no more than one page), briefly outlining why the candidate wishes to apply for this position and what specific skills, qualities and experience he/she can offer
- a CV (no more than two pages)
- a statement of educational and leadership philosophy (no more than one page)
- the names and full contact details of at least four professional referees
- a good recent head-and-shoulders photo
Interviews are likely to take place in the second half of April 2015, with the final round at AISL. However, AISL reserves the option to invite selected candidates to interviews in advance of this schedule.