< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Sep 1, 22
Oct 1, 22
Available Position: Deputy Head of School
Munich International School (MIS), located in Starnberg, South of Munich, Germany, is an outstanding, innovative and comprehensive international school for students aged 4 to 18 years. Our mission is to nurture, challenge and inspire our students to become
- academically successful, life-long learners;
- creative and innovative thinkers;
- ethical, globally-minded contributors; and
- healthy, well-balanced individuals
who will thrive and make a positive impact in a complex and changing world.
We are looking for a
Deputy Head of School
as a full-time senior leader at the school beginning on August 1, 2023.
Munich International School Values Diversity
We value the knowledge, understanding, and experiences that a diverse body of employees and leaders brings to our community. Every student, employee, and member of our community, regardless of their background, colour, religion, gender, or sexual orientation has an equitable voice in our work. We welcome applications from people with a broad range of identities and backgrounds. We look forward to discovering what you could bring to our school.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Deputy Head of School will support the Head of School in all aspects of the School’s operation. More specifically, they will take responsibility for teaching, learning and curriculum development as well as for leading cross-school professional development and community-building initiatives. They will provide strategic leadership, inspiration and innovation in order to meet the school’s Mission, Purpose and Values.
The Deputy Head of School is an executive employee and a member of the School Leadership Team.
The Deputy Head of School will support the Head of School in the following areas:
- Teaching and Learning
- Curriculum Development, Articulation and Implementation
- Professional Development
- Human Resources
- Accreditation/Evaluation (NEASC, CIS, IBO, etc.)
- Strategic Planning, including developing and executing 5-Year plan
- Marketing, Admissions and Development
The Deputy Head of School will work with the School Leadership Team, IB Coordinators, Heads of Department, Faculty and Staff in the areas of:
- Policy: Coordinate the development of educational policies (teaching and learning, assessment, student support, language, etc.) that coherently and effectively support the School's Mission and Values.
- Curriculum: Ensure that a challenging, inspiring and developmentally and culturally appropriate curriculum is developed, documented, implemented and regularly reviewed (Early Childhood --12).
- Professional Development: Plan and implement professional development opportunities that support faculty across the school to improve teaching and learning in alignment with the School's Mission.
- Faculty Appraisal: Oversee the School's programme for appraisal and growth, revising the programme as needed and supporting administrators in ensuring that faculty are provided with honest, fair, useful and documented feedback.
- Data on Learning: Lead initiatives to gather, analyse, share, use and publicise data on student learning.
- Co-curricular Learning: Oversee the Student Life Programme, including athletics, after-school activities, after-school care, and the house system.
- Marketing and Development: In concert with relevant staff and committees, contribute to programmes to enhance the profile of the school in the local community.
- Recruitment: Participate in recruitment of caring, competent and committed faculty and staff.
- Strategic Improvement: Lead initiatives to help the school achieve the goals of its strategic plan.
- School Culture: Develop and promote initiatives that enhance community, identity and a positive and inclusive MIS culture.
In addition, the Head of School may assign additional work and duties to the Deputy Head of School. The Deputy Head of School acts as the legal, on-site, chief executive during any period of Head of School absence or at any meetings and conferences at the request of the Head of School.
In carrying out these duties, the Deputy Head of School shall observe:
- the Policy Manual of the Board of Directors;
- the Collective Bargaining Agreement;
- relevant labour regulations in Germany and Bavaria;
- all resolutions taken by the Board of Directors which bear directly upon the work of the Deputy Head of School.
- An advanced degree in education;
- National or state-issued certification as a teacher and/or school administrator;
- Successful international experience
- in a senior or upper middle-level leadership position in a school;
- in the classroom as a teacher;
- with the IB's programmes (PYP, MYP, DP).
The successful candidate will demonstrate that they are:
an inspirational leader committed to holistic education and life-long learning. Skilled in educational leadership, the applicant will demonstrate that they are able both to generate impact through direct actions and to delegate and effectively oversee tasks related to both the educational and operational dimensions of the school. They are student-focused; organized, efficient and clear in thought; able to think strategically and draw on resources to ensure school success; interculturally sensitive with well-developed interpersonal skills and a sense of humor; innovative; flexible; competent, confident and visible as a communicator; technologically adept; and capable of managing a budget.
Experience in a position with at least some of these responsibilities in international education and/or in the IB's programmes is essential.
If this position description fits well to your experience, qualifications, and aspirations, we would be thrilled to hear from you.
Applicants must follow these application guidelines carefully: Candidates must send their application (preferably a single PDF document) to <firstname.lastname@example.org>, comprised of:
- a letter of introduction and interest (maximally 500 words),
- a complete résumé (including clear indications of completed qualifications; maximally 2 sides),
- a statement of educational philosophy (maximally 500 words),
- names and contact details of at least three recent and relevant references whom we may contact on your behalf immediately.
Please submit all required application materials as early as possible, in any case no later than 1 October 2022. We will conduct initial interviews via Skype and will invite finalists to visit the campus and meet with students, faculty and the wider community.
Please feel welcome to check for further details on our home page (https://www.mis-munich.de/careers/vacancies).
Munich International School e.V.
Schloss Buchhof, 82319 Starnberg, Germany
Human Resources Tel.: 08151 366 122