< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Nov 8, 19
Dec 10, 19
Our Mission and Guiding Principles
Wellspring Learning Community aims to establish an inquiry-based learning environment in which students from diverse backgrounds are given every opportunity to realize their social, emotional and academic capacities and talents. Our students will become confident, resourceful, creative, caring, responsible and thinking citizens prepared to use their education to contribute in meaningful ways toward improving society, both locally and internationally.
In support of the mission, teachers and administrators work collaboratively in an atmosphere of mutual respect and trust to design, plan and provide a positive learning environment that builds on an ongoing process of self-assessment, evidence-based decision making, and continual improvement. At Wellspring we are committed to the following guiding principles:
- Establishing a safe and collaborative learning community that meets the needs of the students, school personnel and parents
- Maintaining well-kept, clean and vibrant physical campus environments
- Giving attention to the whole child by supporting students’ development in all domains, including the academic, linguistic, social, emotional, ethical, artistic, and physical
- Making education relevant to the real world and children’s life experiences
- Honoring diversity and individual differences
- Promoting the development of strong multilingual abilities
- Delivering an equitable education for all students
- Holding ourselves accountable for students’ learning and school-based development
- Putting in practice an interactive, creative approach to teaching and learning that combines the best elements of a variety of modern classroom instructional strategies to meet different learning abilities
- Empowering teachers as professional decision-makers
We are proud to present two campuses in the vibrant heart of Beirut. The learning environments are attractive and technologically advanced, with facilities being continuously upgraded to keep pace with the demands of the IB educational programmes: Primary Years Programme, Middle Years Programme, Diploma Programme, the Lebanese Brevet, Grade 11/12 Baccalaureate (Life Sciences) track and Socio-Economics track in 2019-2020.
City Centre Campus: Grades 6 through 10 (MYP) and Grade 11 and 12 (DP)
Student’s benefit from facilities which include:
Classrooms are equipped with the latest instructional technology hardware, including interactive whiteboards and wireless internet access, as well as the best of traditional teaching tools.
Art, Music and Drama Rooms
Dedicated art, music and drama spaces provide facilities for the development of artistic, musical and dramatic skills and appreciation.
The science labs give students places to engage in a variety of experimental and theoretical inquiries into how the world works. Facilities include:
- Physics lab
- Chemistry lab
- Biology lab
Our computer lab are fully equipped with the latest technology and Apple software that provide students with opportunities for practical experience.
Our CCC library is uniquely resourced to support our MYP/DP and Lebanese Program students’ needs. It offers a quiet comfortable space for students to study, work and research.
The campus has a bright, modern cafeteria, serving a variety of hot and cold healthy meals and is the place where students can eat and relax between classes.
Indoor and outdoor sports space
The campus provides a safe, year-round environment (with indoor and outdoor facilities) where students engage in a variety of sports and physical exercise.
There is a soccer area, garden and large patio area for table sports, chess, badminton, along with outside table and seating for socializing and picnics.
Mathaf Campus PYP (Nursery up to Grade 5)
Learning Garden and campus area
The Learning Garden is a place where:
- Students learn about taking care of plants and respecting the environment
- Students make scientific observations about nature
- Students enjoy a safe climbing facility
- Students are able to observe and represent nature through art
- All community members can socialize and enjoy being outdoors
Classrooms are equipped with the latest instructional Apple technology hardware, including interactive whiteboards and wireless Internet access, as well as the best of traditional teaching tools.
Art and music rooms
Dedicated art and music spaces provide age appropriate facilities for the development of artistic and musical skills and appreciation.
The Computer Lab is fully equipped with the latest technology and provides students with opportunities for practical experience.
Mobile iPad lab
The iPad lab consists of a class set of iPads housed in a portable cabinet/charging and App deployment station. This mobile lab is available for all classes to use for both whole class and small group inquiries.
The library offers a place for students to research, study, read, and to learn. The library is the heart of any Programme of Inquiry!
Indoor and outdoor Physical Education space
Our Physical Education facilities afford a safe year-round environment for students to engage in physical exercise and sports.
Director of Learning and Teaching Job Description
POSITION TITLE: Director of Learning and Teaching
ACCOUNTABILITY/REPORTS TO: Head of School
CO-SUPERVISES: Principals, Assistant Principals, IB Program Coordinators, Subject Leaders, Curriculum Mapping Coordinator, Facilitators, Grade Level Leaders in collaboration with HOS
DATE WRITTEN: September 2019
GENERAL PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF POSITION/ POSITION SUMMARY
Directs a program of continuous improvement for optimum learning for the Early Years to Grade 12 subject areas, coordinates the Early Years to Grade 12 curriculum planning and grade level (horizontal and vertical) articulation. Directs a program of continuous improvement for professional faculty. Is committed to Wellspring’s mission, vision and school-wide learning results.
- Supervises the development of the curriculum and revisions of existing curriculum.
- Directs Early Years (EY) through Grade 12 curriculum review and revision process.
- Directs and supervises the curriculum to ensure that there are specific learning outcomes, timetables and measurable learning objectives for each program and at each grade level.
- Collaborates and supervises, Curriculum Mapping Coordinator in all aspects of curriculum planning, development and revision.
- Collaborates with EY through Grade 12 Senior Leadership Team (SLT) as curriculum is revised and reports on current curriculum development annually to the Head of School (HOS)
- Coordinates the archiving of both the hard and soft copies of all curricula publications as they are developed and revised.
- Develops and maintains a curriculum library of current materials and information relating to current curriculum research in education.
- Sets curricular expectations and deliverables for teachers and students.
- Directs professional development programs of both an internal (Wellspring sponsored) and external nature in collaboration with members of the SLT.
- Works cooperatively with the teachers, Grade Level Leaders (GLLs), Facilitators, Subject Leaders (SLs), IB Program Coordinators, Assistant Principals, Principals and HOS on the development of in-service programs for teachers and administrators through conferences, workshops, cross-divisional meetings, group discussions and committee studies as well as the use of consultants for the purpose of improving planning, assessment and instruction in collaboration with the HOS.
- Organizes the in-service/faculty development program(s) and consultant work plans and visits.
- Provides support (and guidance) to IB Program Coordinators, SLs and Curriculum Mapping Coordinator whenever needed.
- Ensures that all academic staff have mastered their subject area and able to convey it to the students using research-proven instructional practices.
- Supervises and develops the budget for professional development in collaboration with HOS.
- Supports the planning, implementation and evaluation of the Wellspring Orientation for new and returning teachers together with the Senior Leadership Team (SLT), in collaboration with the HOS using data and evidence to drive instructional practices that will translate into improved learning outcomes.
- Coordinates and oversees growth and evaluation protocol and process for teachers in collaboration with the HOS.
- Inspires and facilitates collaborative learning-focused dialogues
- Must be able to revise and provide feedback regarding the assessment tools developed to provide students with relevant and meaningful ways to give evidence of their learning (efficiency in terms of the quality and quantity of exams, quizzes, lab reports, essays, projects, etc.)
- Provides leadership in developing and improving assessment and evaluation of academic programs at Wellspring.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ensures that student learning data is used effectively to inform instructional practices and to drive the further learning success of our programs.
- Uses and analyzes data to promote student achievement and school improvement.
- Coordinates the plan to meet or exceed academic attributes, indicators and performance ranges of students and staff.
- Monitors, quality, quantity and consistency of homework.
- Supervises the administration of standardized assessments.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Helps to facilitate the CIS/NEASC accreditation process
- Coaches academic leaders in a non-evaluative way.
- Develops and refines policies and regulations focused on student learning (such as assessment policies, language policies, monitoring and evaluation, etc.)
- Contributes to the development of the Wellspring Strategic Plan that meets the needs of 21st Century learners.
- Monitors academic meeting agendas and attends occasional academic meetings to ensure that meetings are meaningful and relevant.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the HOS and which relate to Learning and Teaching matters.
- This job description is subject to change based on the needs of the school.
PROCEDURE FOR FILING APPLICATION
The Board of Wellspring Learning Community has appointed Search Associates as its partner in its search for a Director of Learning and Teaching with Dr. Brent Mutsch and Dr. Norma Hudson serving as the lead consultants. The deadline for applications for the position is December 10, 2019. Candidates are asked to submit a letter of interest and the requested materials listed below as early as possible as the Search Committee reserves the right to close the selection process at any time should the right candidate be identified.
Candidates should submit the following information in the format requested:
- A letter of application, no longer than two pages, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in this particular position
- A current resume not to exceed two pages
- A list of references of immediate supervisors including current email addresses and phone numbers
- A maximum of three letters of reference (scanned at low resolution) that may already be in your possession.
Please note that all materials must be scanned into a single pdf attachment of 4MB or less and sent to Search Associates at the email addresses listed below. Please send the complete application to both Dr. Brent Mutsch and Dr. Norma Hudson at the addresses noted below.
Dr. Brent Mutsch Tel: 970-368-6879 USA- Mountain Time Zone
Skype: brentmutsch Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Norma Hudson Tel: 970-389-1906 USA- Mountain Time Zone
Skype: normajhudson Email: email@example.com
The review of applications will begin as soon as applications are received. Qualified candidates will be interviewed and potentially forwarded to Wellspring Learning Community for further review. Finalist candidates (with spouses, if applicable) will be invited to Beirut to visit the campuses and meet with members of the Board, leadership team, faculty, staff, parents, and students in January. The new Director of Learning will be selected at the end of the site visit, finalist interviews, and reference checks and will assume his/her professional responsibilities in August 2020.
Additional information about Wellspring Learning Community may be found on the school’s website.