< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Jan 3, 22
Feb 2, 22
HIGH SCHOOL PRINCIPAL at
SEOUL INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
Position Name: High School Principal
Deadline: February 02, 2022. Start Date: August 01, 2022
Seoul International School was created in 1973 for the purpose of providing a high-quality western style education for children of the expatriate and local community. It has grown over the years to a school of currently over 800 students, more than 360 of them in the high school and with a high school faculty/staff of about 56 highly qualified and inspirational professionals.
SIS is proud of its track record regarding the quality of its academic programs, as well as its incredible emphasis on the performing and visual arts. The focus of the school is to develop students’ intellectual, creative, moral and emotional abilities in cooperation with their parents and our community members.
Seoul International School provides a safe and secure learning environment for children in pre-kindergarten through grade 12. Significant and on-going renovations allow us to keep pace with the ever-changing needs of our instructional programs. The most significant recent project has been the completion of new campus spaces dedicated to learning, activities, athletics and outdoor activity. There are also recent extensive modernizations to classrooms and resources for innovative learning.
Information technology infrastructure within the school is constantly being upgraded. All buildings have wireless access and a access points are spread throughout the facility. Seoul has access to some of the highest speed internet capacity in the world and this is leveraged for instructional capabilities campus wide. There are two spacious, well-resourced libraries, one completely renovated in 2020 and one which will be modernized in 2022. There are well-equipped science laboratories which are improved and updated each year. The school has a one-to-one lap top program, which is fully supported by the infrastructure in all three schools.
Our 350-seat school auditorium is used for school assemblies, club activities, teacher and parent functions, fine arts productions and concerts, and is fully equipped with upgraded lighting and sound systems. Music students are offered a range of facilities from band and choir rooms to sound proofed practice rooms. A recording studio is planned for 2022.
Athletics facilities include three recently renovated gymnasiums, nearby off-site tennis courts, a five-lane indoor 25-meter heated swimming pool, soccer field, and multiple weight, fitness and gymnastics rooms.
Elementary students have access to a wide range of modern outdoor play areas for recess, lunch and after school activities. The school cafeteria, offering nutritious hot meals or lighter sandwiches daily allows students to eat in the company of friends and peers. Faculty and staff take advantage of free lunches of both western and Korean fare in the cafeteria.
The High School
The High School serves 360 students. Students are supported by an exceptionally skilled and caring faculty and staff. There are 56 faculty, including 4 counselors and 3 support staff members working under the leadership of the High School Principal. The High School principal works with the support of an Assistant Principal.
The high school students are offered an outstanding and robust curricular program. In our world-class AP program, students may choose any of 22 AP classes in addition to the AP International Diploma and AP Capstone Diploma. Previously, most students qualified as AP Scholars. One hundred percent of SIS students take at least one AP class with some taking up to 12 AP classes. The school offers over 800 AP exams each year, far exceeding even progressive international school averages for testing. Student success in AP classes and on external tests exceed world and international school averages.
An active and extensive co-curricular program complements the curricular offerings at the school and includes activities such as National Honor Society, High School Student Council. There are over fifty clubs in the high school which are supported by students and faculty. The school hosts a Model United Nations (MUN) conference and participates in the multiple International MUN conferences. The school also sponsors fine arts trips through ISTA and AMIS, Forensics, National History Day, Quiz Bowl, and many other activity offerings which make for an enriching and authentic student experience. SIS high school teams typically compete at very high levels in athletics and academic competitions. Students are well known for excelling in a variety of science, history, art, music, dance, research, and writing competitions offered outside of school. Varsity athletic teams compete in the AISA conference with teams from around Asia. They are also members of the Korean-based KAIAC sports and activities league. Athletic teams include volleyball, tennis, basketball, cheerleading, cross-country, soccer, track and field, swimming, and badminton. The school boasts world class music and band ensembles, an exemplary strings program and an outstanding set of choir groups.
In addition to the rich curricular and extra-curricular offerings, students in the high school participate service trips through Habitat for Humanity, Global Issues Network, MUN, and a variety of other school sponsored service trips. The High School present musicals and plays each year. Traditional events on the school calendar may include Open House Nights for parents, Parent-Teacher conferences, the AP Art Show, talent shows, local strings, band, choir events, and Spirit Weeks.
Acknowledging that there is important work to be done to establish a strong culture of inclusivity a Diversity Committee has been established in Secondary and the next principal must support goals linked to our larger DEIJ vision.
Seoul International School is seeking an outstanding experienced educational leader who will lead the High School in achieving the next level of excellence, embrace the school’s mission and core values, and focus the school’s academic and co-curricular programs. The ideal candidate will have a proven record as a dynamic, approachable, student-centered leader with excellent communication and interpersonal skills and will further enhance the outstanding programs that the high school enjoys.
The duties and responsibilities include:
- Demonstrate traits that enable others to recognize the Principal as a divisional educational leader and instructional coach.
- Ensure that all teachers and support staff have a clear understanding of their performance expectations and systems of evaluation.
- Lead the supervision and evaluation of the HS professional staff with the assistance of the Assistant Principal.
- Cultivate the leadership of the HS Heads of Departments (HOD) in each subject area.
- Oversee individual and divisional professional development and coordinate such efforts in conjunction with the Head of School and other Principals.
Instruction and Curriculum:
- Have deep understanding and extensive working knowledge of the Advanced Placement program.
- Take responsibility to oversee the divisional curricular programs and policies with the curriculum leader, administration, and faculty.
- Ensure active and consistent collaboration is a mainstay of the faculty operations and that these actions help foster a sense of reliability and validity for the instructional and assessment program components.
- Continuously examine and assess the instructional program, in conjunction with the faculty, administrative team and the AP coordinator, to ensure the appropriateness of the curriculum, standards and benchmarks, and assessment measures for well-being of the student body.
- Observe classes, ensuring that effective teaching methods consistent with evidence-based best practices are utilized by the professional staff and that formative learning drives instruction and learning goals.
- Develop the leadership capabilities of teachers in working with students and colleagues.
- Communicate effectively with students, faculty, parents, colleagues, and the broader community.
- Exhibit effective listening skills.
- Seek faculty, student and parent input, when appropriate, in making decisions.
- Seek the involvement of faculty, students and parents in a wide variety of school activities.
- Assist with the recruitment and selection of High School faculty and staff.
- Provide input to the Head of School for the selection of overseas hire candidates.
- Oversee the High School athletic, activities, curricular and co-curricular programs and guidelines.
- Be an active participant and supporter of the after-school student activity programs and parent events with high visibility.
- Oversee the counseling department in meeting student and community needs in the school.
- Create an efficient, productive, professional and caring atmosphere where all students and faculty have the opportunity to be recognized for their best efforts.
- Assume responsibility for accurate program budget planning and fiscal accountability.
- Demonstrate the willingness to seek constant professional learning and professional growth as a committed life-long learner.
- Establish annual goals and work plans that are consistent with the school's goals and program outcomes.
- Serve as a contributing member to the school's administrative team.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as delegated by the Head of School.
The successful candidate will:
- Have successful AP teaching experience at the High School level.
- Have extensive experience with the AP Program and experience as an AP Coordinator.
- Possess appropriate degrees and have or be pursuing certification in the area of High School Administration.
- Have at least five years of full-time experience as a High School Administrator, desirably in a highly competitive academic environment.
- Have overseas international school experience and demonstrated success in a multicultural school environment with the ability to foster trust in leadership.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication (listening, written, and oral) skills as well as strong analytical, decision-making and planning skills.
- Be student-centered, open, approachable, positive, and of strong moral character.
- Work with the curriculum director in leading the curriculum development process.
- Commit to and foster community involvement and support for students, programs and committees.
- Have demonstrated excellent organizational and managerial skills and the ability to work collaboratively with faculty and the administrative team to ensure the mission and vision of SIS.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary - competitive with other large international schools in Asia
Salary is free of Korean Tax
Professional Development allowance
Apartment style Housing Provided- walking distance to school
Use of School Vehicle
Professional Development Allowance
Resident Permit/Visas, provided by school
Summer Travel Allowance
Tuition Waiver for eligible children.
Details of process:
The application deadline is February 02, 2022, with interviews scheduled as finalist lists are generated. The appointment of the new High School Principal will follow the completion of the interview process in February or early march.
Interested candidates should apply as soon as possible. Screening will start as soon as applications are received. Please note that in the event that a truly superior candidate emerges early in the search process, SIS reserves the right to accelerate the search and make an earlier appointment. For this reason, it is important for interested candidates to apply in a timely manner.
Interested candidates should submit an application as one PDF including the following elements:
- A letter of application, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in the High School Principal position at the Seoul International School.
- A current résumé not to exceed two pages, addressing experiences and qualifications.
- A one-page statement of educational philosophy.
- At least four references with contact information and e-mail addresses. (At least two of the referees must have directly supervised the applicant. The other referees may be peers or educators that the applicant has supervised.)
Applications should be sent to the Head of School Mr. Michael Colaianni at email@example.com with a cc to Dr. Jim Gerhard at firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates wishing to learn more about Seoul International School should visit the school website at www.siskorea.org