< Back to Leadership Vacancies
YueCheng Education (China)
Oct 7, 19
Nov 21, 19
Beginning in August 2020
The purpose of YueCheng Education (YCE) is to provide a future-oriented education for the children of Chinese and expatriate families living in Beijing. Founded on a passion to challenge and empower young people to live fulfilling and productive lives, YCE opened Beijing City International School (BCIS) (www.bcis.cn) in 2005. With the support of the YueCheng Education Research Institute (YERI), this innovative school has provided the bedrock for YCE to extend its not-for-profit services to a wider community. The Learning Frontier (www.learningfrontier.cn) provides specialist support for children with learning and developmental needs, and the recently opened Reading Frontier (www.readingfrontier.com) inspires in children a passion for reading for life. The Courtyard Kindergarten (www.yuechengkg.com) will open its doors in October 2019, and two further schools will be opened within the next three years. The strength of YCE lies in the quality of its international and Chinese staff, and the mutual support extended between the different but complementary institutions.
YueCheng Education’s mission is to enrich and enhance learning by empowering its member institutions.
YueCheng Education is an educational pioneer of integrated, value-based programs, that inspires passionate, forward-thinking learners committed to the benefit of all.
We believe that:
- continuous learning empowers growth
- community strengthens us
- embracing diversity enriches us
- each individual has value
- when we serve, it benefits all
YCE is an umbrella organization for BCIS, YERI, Learning Frontier, Reading Frontier, Courtyard Kindergarten and other new schools. The YueCheng Board of Trustees oversees the governance of the schools and institutes. The Board establishes policies and procedures to enable the schools and institutes to function effectively and efficiently.
The YueCheng Board of Trustees has full authority and responsibility for all matters concerning the governance of schools and institutes. The Board recognizes a Superintendent as the chief executive officer, and charges him/her with the administrative functions of operating the organizations of YCE. In addition, the YueCheng Board of Trustees recognizes Heads of Schools or institutes as being responsible for providing educational leadership and efficient operation.
Beijing City International School (BCIS) is a non-profit private school that was founded in 2005. Located in Beijing’s Central Business District, Beijing City International School (BCIS) lives by its motto: “Empowering and Inspiring through Challenge and Compassion.” With the approval of the Education Committee of Chaoyang District, Beijing, BCIS acts as a pilot school offering educational reform and innovation through international educational practices that incorporate 15 grades of schooling, from pre-school to Grade 12. The language of instruction at BCIS is English and all of the students also study Chinese, either as a mother tongue or an additional language.
Based on creatively and authentically implementing the Chinese national curriculum, the school curriculum consists of a pre-school program, compulsory education program (Grades 1 to 9), and high school program (Grades 10 to 12), all accredited and authorized by the International Baccalaureate Organization. Additionally, BCIS has created an alternative pathway to graduation through our IDEATE program at Grades 11 and 12, which is fully accredited. The school is also accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). As a member of the East Asia Regional Council of Schools (EARCOS), the Association of China and Mongolia International Schools (ACAMIS) and the International Schools Athletic Conference, Beijing-Tianjin (ISAC), the school is an active participant in various activities among the member schools and communities.
The value and strength of the BCIS community comes from the unity and the contributions of a rich and diverse tapestry of the individuals and groups within it. Students, parents, faculty members and support staff are bound together by the mission and motto, working together to achieve the goals, and building a community of empowered and compassionate people acting for the good of all.
YueCheng Education Research Institute (YERI) serves the pedagogical needs of the YueCheng Education’s schools and institutes. YERI’s core purpose is to disseminate future-oriented educational research findings and support relevant professional learning that drives the implementation of current research into practice. The five-member YERI team works closely with the leaders of YCE schools and institutes to identify areas of growth which will allow them to operate at the forefront of educational reform and ‘cutting edge’ practice. The work YERI conducts helps enhance YCE’s internal and external reputation as a provider of a rigorous, personalized, future-oriented and values-based education.
The purpose of the Reading Frontier (RF) is to nurture in students a passion for reading and to teach the skills and habits required to maintain this passion throughout life. The program is intended for students aged four to twelve.
RF is an innovative inquiry-based program in which students are motivated to channel their natural curiosity through the guided investigation of topics of great personal interest. In this way, students harness the power of reading to enhance their critical and creative thinking skills. At the end of the program each student applies their new learning by presenting a creative project of their choice.
The Learning Frontier (LF) provides personalized guidance and support services for children and families in China. Bilingual specialists in mental health, education and learning, applied behavior analysis, speech and language and occupational therapy work as a multidisciplinary team to help families better understand the growth and development of children and how to help each child live up to their potential in school and in life. The Learning Frontier team also provides training opportunities for educators so that they can be better partners to children and families.
YueCheng Courtyard Kindergarten (YCCK)
The YueCheng Courtyard Kindergarten will open its doors in early October 2019. It is a not-for profit kindergarten using a dual language platform, located in Shuang Qiao district, Beijing. YCCK welcomes students from the age of one and a half years through to the end of Kindergarten. The exceptional staff are recruited both locally and internationally, motivated by a passion for learning, and for working with young children. YCCK creates a warm and caring community, dedicated to ensuring the highest quality outcomes for all of the children in the school.
YCCK’s guiding statements describe who the learners will become. These are organized as Learning Impacts, Learning Principles and the Approach to Learning. The program is based on a well-researched curriculum specifically developed for the YueCheng Education Kindergartens. It is designed to be developmentally appropriate, offering significant growth opportunities for children as they progress along the continuum of learning. YCCK is a play-based kindergarten, utilizing investigative play as the vehicle for exploration and learning, connected to the curriculum outcomes.
YueCheng Banbidian Kindergarten
The YueCheng Banbidian Kindergarten is located in Tongzhou district, Beijing. It will open its doors in August 2020. It will share the guiding statements and curriculum of the Courtyard Kindergarten.
ROLE OF THE SUPERINTENDENT
The Superintendent is the professional and educational leader of YueCheng Education. The Superintendent ensures the realization of the YCE mission and vision though the attainment of YCE’s strategic goals. As our Founding Superintendent will retire in the year of 2020, we seek a new Superintendent to take over this critically important position and lead the team forward.
The Superintendent reports to the YCE Board of Trustees.
- The Superintendent works with the Board, faculty, staff and community to develop and review the YCE mission, vision and values.
- The Superintendent works with the Board to develop YCE’s strategic goals and takes the lead in implementing them.
- The Superintendent works with Heads of YCE schools and institutes to create and maintain an inclusive and caring community culture.
- The Superintendent works with the Director of YERI and Heads of YCE schools and institutes to develop and review the educational program so that the learning goals are achieved.
- The Superintendent supports the Board in the selection, motivation, appraisal and dismissal of the Chief Operating Officer (COO).
- The Superintendent consults with the Board in the selection, motivation, appraisal, and dismissal of the Heads of YCE schools and institutes.
- The Superintendent works with the Heads to ensure that each school’s and institute’s guiding statements and strategic plans are aligned to those of YCE.
- The Superintendent recommends YCE policies and procedures for the Board’s approval.
- The Superintendent monitors the policies and procedures of each school and institute to ensure that they are in line with YCE policies and procedures.
- The Superintendent works with the COO to develop and monitor YCE’s developmental, financial, and operational plans in line with the YCE strategic goals.
- Together with the Board Treasurer and COO, the Superintendent develops and monitors YCE resources.
- The Superintendent monitors the annual education and operational plan of each school and institute.
- The Superintendent oversees the integration and collaboration between YCE schools and institutes.
- The Superintendent keeps the Board apprised of YCE, schools, and institute events that may be of interest to Board members.
- Prior experience leading a large, complex institution.
- Strong financial and business management competence.
- Significant international curriculum experience and experience with accreditation (IB, CIS, NEASC etc.)
- Advanced educational degree in educational leadership or policy
- An educational leader with a strong educational foundation, who is able to understand Chinese education and its values, and also understand progressive and innovative educational practices.
- An experienced team leader who creates and supports the development of YCE’s senior leadership team.
- A strategic leader who is able to develop and execute plans systematically that contribute to achieving YCE’s mission and expanding the understanding of the YCE brand.
- A culturally competent community builder with prior experience fostering a culture of inclusion
- Demonstrable alignment with YCE mission, vision and values that are in place
- An active listener, critical thinker and decision maker
- Displays integrity and humility
- Flexible, open-minded and future orientated
- Demonstrate understanding, respect and an appreciation for the local culture
- Community builder, promote cooperation and collaboration, visible and involved in the community
- Visionary, inspirational and has good sense of humor
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Demonstrates self-initiative
COMPENSATION AND BENEFIT
The salary and benefit package for the Superintendent is competitive and will be commensurate with the candidate's qualifications and experience.
PROCEDURE FOR FILING APPLICATION
The Board of Trustees of the YueCheng Education (YCE) has appointed Search Associates as its partner in its search for a Superintendent with Dr. Brent Mutsch and Dr. Norma Hudson serving as the lead consultants. The deadline for applications for the position is November 21, 2019. Candidates are asked to submit a letter of interest and the requested materials listed below as early as possible as the Search Committee reserves the right to close the selection process at any time should the right candidate be identified.
Candidates should submit the following information in the format requested:
- A letter of application, no longer than two pages, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in this particular position
- A current resume not to exceed two pages
- A list of references of immediate supervisors including current email addresses and phone numbers
- A maximum of three letters of reference (scanned at low resolution) that may already be in your possession.
Please note that all materials must be scanned into a single pdf attachment of 4MB or less and sent to Search Associates at the email addresses listed below. Please send the complete application to both: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
The review of applications will begin as soon as applications are received. Qualified candidaes will be interviewed and potentially forwarded to YCE for further review. Finalist candidates (with spouses, if applicable) will be invited to the Beijing to visit the campuses and institutes, and meet with members of the Board of Trustees, leadership team, faculty, staff, parents and students in December. The new Superintendent will be selected at the end of the site visit, finalist interviews, and reference checks and will assume his/her professional responsibilities in August 2020.
Dr. Brent Mutsch Tel: 970-368-6879 USA- Mountain Time Zone Skype: brentmutsch Email: email@example.com
Dr. Norma Hudson Tel: 970-389-1906 USA- Mountain Time Zone Skype: normajhudson Email: firstname.lastname@example.org