< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Position Filled
Oct 25, 13
Nov 15, 13
International School of Belgrade
Seeks: Upper School Principal
Effective: July 2014
The International School of Belgrade (ISB) is an independent, non-profit, co-educational day school that serves the needs of the Belgrade expatriate community. The school was founded in 1948 as The Foreign Colony School and was housed in two rented rooms in the American Mission House. There was one staff member. Today, ISB’s two campuses, within only a few minutes walking distance of each other, are located in Belgrade’s beautiful suburb of Senjak. Enrollment now numbers 386 Pre-K through grade 12 students representing 46 nationalities. Of these, 198 are in the Upper School (Grades 6-12).
ISB is an IB World School authorized to offer the PYP, MYP and DP Programs. The experienced international faculty is highly qualified. Extra-curricular activities are offered at all levels, including a wide range of CEESA-sponsored athletics and activities for middle and high school students.
School facilities include a new middle school and gymnasium, a multi-purpose room, tennis and basketball courts, science labs, art/technology rooms, libraries, music rooms and a black box theater Classrooms are well equipped and the school is generously resourced. Beautiful, shady trees and gardens provide an attractive setting for the school’s renovated villas and modern buildings.
The Upper School is in the second cycle of our 1:1 laptop program for all students in grades 6-12, and there is also a 2:1 laptop program for students in grades 3-5. Sets of iPads on each campus provide classes powerful apps for hands-on and instant learning activities. Both Library Media Centers have suites of desktop computers for a focus on research and information literacy. Creative expression and presentation of new knowledge is further accomplished through the use of audio and video hardware and iMac suites for editing and post production. All classrooms at ISB are equipped with ceiling-mounted digital projectors, while other instructional technologies include interactive whiteboards, Apple TV for wireless playback, and easy access to scanning and printing for all.
The International School of Belgrade is accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS) and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). We are also authorized by the International Baccalaureate Organization for all three IB programs and by the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Serbia.
The School is governed by a Board of Trustees which consists of no less than seven members and no more than ten. Three members are appointed by the US Ambassador, one of whom is the Treasurer. Four members are elected from the membership of the Association of all parents. The Board may choose to appoint up to three additional members.
Detailed information about the school and its policies can be found on our web site: www.isb.rs
ISB MISSION STATEMENT
ISB is a collaborative learning community that inspires and empowers its members to discover their passions to be global innovators.
ISB VISION STATEMENT
We aspire to challenge and empower students through living the IB learner profile.
The Board of Trustees appoints the Director, who is responsible for the management of the school. The Director oversees the Senior Management Team consisting of the Upper School Principal, the Lower School Principal, the Business Manager and the IT Director. Academic leaders in the school include the PYP Coordinator, the MYP/DB Coordinator, Upper School Heads of Department and Lower School Curriculum Leaders.
The Upper School Principal is responsible to the Director for the day-to-day operation of the Upper School, within the guidelines and policies set by the Board of Trustees. The duties and responsibilities of the Upper School Principal include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide principled, effective educational leadership to the Upper School division using the Learner Profile as a guideline for the characteristics that should be modeled.
- Create an efficient, productive, and caring building atmosphere where all students and faculty have opportunity to be recognized for their best efforts.
- Lead, along with the Educational Leadership Team (Director, LS Principal, PYP and MYP/DP Coordinators), the process of developing or reviewing the school’s curriculum documents, program and resources.
- Ensure that curriculum documentation defines what the students are to learn, what the teacher should be teaching, and how the learning and teaching will be assessed.
- Gather validating information that helps determine whether curriculum and instructional goals and student expectations are being met.
- Develop collaboration and support of students, faculty, and staff in the major decisions affecting the division.
- Ensure that all teachers and support staff have a clear understanding of their performance expectations in all areas including the Middle Years Program and Diploma Program responsibilities.
- Mentor the Upper School faculty, and encourage their professional growth and career advancement.
- Develop the leadership capabilities of teachers so that instructional leadership becomes a shared responsibility.
- Communicate effectively with students, faculty, parents, colleagues, and the broader community.
- Seek the involvement of faculty and parents in a wide variety of school activities.
- Ensure that all of the school's resources are identified and being used to serve students and faculty members alike; help both reach their full performance potential.
- Assume responsibility for sound financial management including accurate program budget planning and fiscal accountability.
- Demonstrate the willingness to seek constant professional learning and professional growth as a committed life-long learner.
- Be an active participant and supporter of the athletic and activity programs and parent events.
- Establish annual goals and work plans that are consistent with the school's Strategic Plan and accepted program direction.
- Serve as a contributing member to the school's senior management team.
- Perform such other duties and responsibilities as delegated by the School Director.
- Assist in the faculty hiring process where requested.
- Coordinate the administration of standardized testing (MAP).
The successful candidate will be expected to meet most, if not all, of the following criteria:
- Student-centered philosophy
- An advanced degree in the field of education and certification as an administrator/school principal, or its equivalence
- Sound knowledge of, and experience in the MYP and DP, as well as a thorough understanding of modern educational practices
- Proven leadership and administrative experience as an Upper School Principal or similar position in an accredited school for a minimum of two years
- A clear understanding of the financial aspects of running an educational establishment
- Fluency in the English language
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to work within a team; positive attitude; and a sense of humor
- Familiarity with academic accreditation procedures
- Strong background in technology
- Experience with database and/or administrative software
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The package for the Upper School Principal is competitive and commensurate with the responsibilities of this position, as well as the required experience and qualifications. Benefits include:
- Furnished housing
- Paid utilities
- Round-trip air fare for administrator and dependents
- Shipping allowance
- Free tuition at ISB for school-age dependents
- Health plan
- Life and disability insurance coverage
- Annual administrators’ conference attendance and professional development
- Pension plan, bereavement leave, personal and sick leave
- Two year contract, renewable
The International School of Belgrade will manage the search process. Candidates are requested to submit the following documents in a single pdf file:
- Cover letter that specifies why the candidate is the ideal person for this position
- Resume/CV with recent photograph
- Statement of educational philosophy
- Three letters of recommendations including current supervisor(s)
- List of at least three supervisory references with contact details
- Copy of valid administrator/principal certification or equivalent
Applications will be reviewed as they arrive. The deadline for applications is Friday, November 15, 2013. The School reserves the right to conclude the search prior to this date if the right candidate is found. Application letters of interest should be addressed to Rob Risch and forwarded with the complete application to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Rob Risch, Ed.D.
The International School of Belgrade
Short-listed applicants and their referees will be contacted any time from submission of application. Finalists will be invited to Belgrade in late November or early December.
Additional information about the International School of Belgrade can be found on the school’s website at www.isb.rs.